• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Huggins headed to S. Florida?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

You guys have really done it now...you know...once the media gets ahold of something like this it becomes god-spoken truth.

Huggins headed to S. Florida?

Boosters love former Cincy coach; Temple also looms

Posted: Monday February 27, 2006 5:28PM; Updated: Monday February 27, 2006 6:04PM

If a group of well-heeled, highly-connected residents of the Tampa area have their way, Bob Huggins will be the next head coach at the University of South Florida.

An influential USF booster told SI.com this week that supporters of the program have had numerous conversations in recent days with Huggins' Cincinnati-based attorney, Richard Katz, who indicated Huggins would be interested in the Bulls coaching job if it opened up. Third-year coach Robert McCullum is not expected to return after USF's season ends this week with home games against Connecticut and Georgetown. The Bulls are currently 0-14 in their first season in the Big East (6-21 overall) and will not be among the 12 teams to qualify for the conference tournament, which begins on March 8 at Madison Square Garden.

"No decision has been made, but there is really a groundswell here amongst some of the core guys to bring Huggins in," the booster said.

One potential sticking point is South Florida president Judy Genshaft, who is said to be good friends with Nanzy Zimpher, the president at Cincinnati who pressured Huggins into resigning last August. When reached by SI.com on Monday afternoon, Katz declined to comment about the South Florida situation but added, "Coach Huggins is certainly interested in coaching major college basketball again and will be reviewing all situations."

After going 399-127 in 16 years at Cincinnati, Huggins remains an attractive candidate for many schools despite his past battles with the NCAA and his DUI arrest in June 2004. He has also worked to maintain a relationship with O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker, two of the nation's top high school juniors who play for North College Hill near Cincinnati. If Huggins does not end up at South Florida, Huggins is also rumored to be a possible replacement for John Chaney at Temple if Chaney retires at the end of the season, as some insiders expect.

Huggins has also quietly expressed an interest in the current opening at Missouri, though for the time being that interest does not appear to be mutual. His flirtation with South Florida is the latest bit of intrigue in what is shaping up to be an active off-season of coaching moves. Word out of Cincinnati is that the school is considering hiring interim coach Andy Kennedy as a permanent replacement for Huggins, but if the Bearcats look elsewhere George Washington coach Karl Hobbs is emerging as a strong favorite.

Speculation is also rampant in college basketball circles that Kentucky coach Tubby Smith could leave Lexington to coach the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats, where current head coach Bernie Bickerstaff is reportedly contemplating a move to the front office.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/seth_davis/02/27/huggs.sfla/index.html

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGBMY4IE7KE.html

"Boosters hoping to buy out McCullum's Contract"

TAMPA - A group of prominent University of South Florida boosters are committed to assisting the university in paying off the final three years of Coach Robert McCullum's contract in hopes of hiring former Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins, The Tampa Tribune has learned.

Sources told the Tribune that boosters have spoken with Richard Katz, Huggins' attorney, about Huggins coming to USF and there is a "mutual interest." Katz said Monday he has not spoken with any university officials at USF.

"Certainly Coach Huggins is going to be looking to coach major college basketball," Katz said. "We're in the process of reviewing certain situations. That's all I can say at this time."

McCullum, 27-57 overall and 6-40 in conference play in three years at USF, has three years remaining on his six-year contract he was given by former USF athletic director Lee Roy Selmon. If fired after this season, McCullum would be owed around $850,000-$900,000.

"I don't think it's fitting to respond to public sentiment," McCullum said. "That's the only comment I'm going to have. This is obviously the first I've heard about it."

USF AD Doug Woolard would not comment on the Huggins-to-USF scenario. He also refused to assess McCullum's performance or the state of the basketball program, which is two losses from finishing with the worst record in school history and only the second winless season in Big East play in the past 25 years.

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

it was also just mentioned on 6pm news on NBC.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I wouldn't call Ari an influential USF booster... ;)

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

or flsportsfan83, since we all know students donate soooo much money to the school, while attending  ::), he will never come here and mac is not leaving at the end of the season, sorry to burst your bubble

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

"I don't think it's fitting to respond to public sentiment," McCullum said. "That's the only comment I'm going to have. This is obviously the first I've heard about it."

Ten times more class than Huggins or anyone connected to him could ever muster in a lifetime.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

HUGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS is the one coach who could have taken my daddy's job and I would have still been contented, albeit a little upset initially! We will have THUG NATION at USF! I'm so **** STOKED! I need to go back to Covington, KY, to break out my jail outfit! There will be Allen Iverson's all over this campus! Yipee!

Winning will cure the bad attitudes towards Bobby Huggins... Judy may be friends, but she is a winner and wants what will further place USF on the map!

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

If Hugs comes here, that's probably the last Men's BB game I'll go to for a while at least... at least until he shows me he can graduate students and not thugs.  Just my personal taste... nothing against Hugs, but I'd have a hard time dropping my hard earned cash and taking my young kid(s) to see a bunch of thugs who won't graduate.

If a coaching change is in order, then fine... but we can find someone to better represent this university than Huggins.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

The DARK SIDE IS STRONG... Do not hesitate to join the younger, better looking side of the EMPIRE ncredibullgirl. We will make great Jedi's together that will lead our Bulls back to the promised land of yearssssss ago!  ;D