• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why is USF not getting football recruits...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  468
  • Days Won:  0

...from out of the state of Florida on a yearly basis?

Check out the list so far:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Year=2006&School=70

Okay, arguably, Florida has the best recruiting base in the country. However, doesn't mean you only recruit from your own back yard.

To date, Rivals.com's, top recruiting class is UF. Their recruits are coming from: FL, TX, GA, VA, NC, and AR. And, mutiple players are coming from some of those states.

USF has ONE player coming from California. The rest, Florida.

Some factors I've considered:

1. UF tradition.

2. SEC -  arguably - much better conference than Big East.

3. Time factor. (Young program).

4. Stability. (Division II - Division I - C-USA - Big East).

5. Dreaded - OCS.

6. Flordia talent recruited is as good if not better than

the caliber recruit that may be considering USF from out-of-state.

Regardless, it does not mean that the USF coaches shouldn't be or can't recruit elsewhere. I just find it unbelievably hard to imagine that there isn't some football star in one of the cold-weather climates that wouldn't be dying to head to Florida and play for USF - especially when there are so many holes to fill and there is the chance of playing almost immediately - if not in a year's timeframe.

Sorry for all of you that are still confusing my realism with negativity, but this coaching staff still isn't impressing me in a lot of ways.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Here's what I think, and it's just my opinion, but a one or two star H.S. football player from Florida is better than a similar rated athlete from Ark., Ga., Va., and any other state other than maybe Tx. and Ca.

We will continue recruiting Florida because the talent is here, we are still in the process of building tradition, and it's much more cost-effective at this point of the evolution of the program. We don't have the luxuries of a UF and FSU at this point, just have patience.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,086
  • Days Won:  172

i would be happy if we loaded up on top 25 talent in the state

we are hovering around 50

unacceptible and underachieving

we don't need to pay a coach millions for that type of class

look at old miss,ed orergon was in their  only 2 years and he is top 10.

leavitt and staff are lazy and get out recruited every year by lesser school

nothing changes with this group

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,818
  • Days Won:  22

LOL,i wont even try to answer that last post.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  827

i would be happy if we loaded up on top 25 talent in the state

we are hovering around 50

unacceptible and underachieving

we don't need to pay a coach millions for that type of class

look at old miss,ed orergon was in their  only 2 years and he is top 10.

leavitt and staff are lazy and get out recruited every year by lesser school

nothing changes with this group

Recruiting rankings are for losers!

Sing a different song!

Lets see how Old Miss does this year! According to you they should go to a BCS bowl because they are so high in the recruiting rankings!

Here's what I think, and it's just my opinion, but a one or two star H.S. football player from Florida is better than a similar rated athlete from Ark., Ga., Va., and any other state other than maybe Tx. and Ca.

I would hope - all things considered - that the ratings system Rivals uses factors in such things. Obviously, don't know that for sure. Which would mean, Joe Johnson, Georgia (2 stars) is as good as Bob Smith (2 stars) Florida. Seems like getting Joe Johnson would just start opening some recruiting doors.

We will continue recruiting Florida because the talent is here, we are still in the process of building tradition, and it's much more cost-effective at this point of the evolution of the program. We don't have the luxuries of a UF and FSU at this point, just have patience.

I know comparing UF's recruiting class to USF's recruiting class is like comparing apples to oranges. And, budgets, etc. most likely play HUGE roles in recruiting. But, how much is a phone call to spark interest? Hell, I'll buy them some phone cards.  ;D

LOL,i wont even try to answer that last post.

Why? Because it is intelligently laid-out and has information to back it, and you only want to throw out your flowery, I love USF sports just because they exist, posts?

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Back in the original topic.  I think your factors are right on, except for #5.  For recruits, playing RJS is a plus.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Hairy, I'm going to disagree with recruiting ranking being for losers. Ole Miss isn't going to be good next year because they pulled in a good class. Takes a few years to do that. HOWEVER, there is no reason to be concerned with USF's talent.

3 and 2 star athletes are still very good players. Many of them are the best players on their teams. They might not be the great blue chippers but there are still plenty of 3-2 star athletes out there.

Some examples of the past...Sean Taylor, Ben Rothisberger, Danny Wuerffel. Guys like Travis McGriff (UF) were walkons. In fact most of the UF teams were built on recruiting classes that were RARELY stellar.

I feel our coaches do a lot of the same things in preparing players to play at the next level. The bigger talent will come, you just have to create a more consistent program which happens over TIME.

Back in the original topic.  I think your factors are right on, except for #5.  For recruits, playing RJS is a plus.

I guess I can see both sides of the argument on that one. But, if that were 100% true (not saying it is/isn't) wouldn't you think it would be even more of a draw for an out-of-state recruit?

I feel our coaches do a lot of the same things in preparing players to play at the next level. The bigger talent will come, you just have to create a more consistent program which happens over TIME.

This isn't a slam, it's stricltly out of curiosity. What amount of time do you feel is adequate?