• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cursing at Football Games

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  201
  • Days Won:  0

if they're offended, they could just go somewhere else.

Or, be like Rickythebull and just stay at home.

If we didn't have the Junior bulls section then I probably would be at home. I think it is unfortunate that I feel this way. I'm not trying to shelter my kids from the realities of the world but I don't want them growing up thinking that is perfectly acceptable to get trashed and say whatever the f__k they want to say in public.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866

Collin's Guide to Cursing at Collegiate Sporting Events:

No one should ever hear the F-bomb more than a seat or two away from you.  If you want to mumble something to yourself as in "F-ing dammit" after we drop a pass, that's fine.  But yelling "you F-ing suck Johnson" at a player or coach at the top of your lungs is trashy and inane.  There are times I've said to myself and those around me "what the F are we doing?" during a game.  That's just frustration and wanting to see us succeed.  But screaming it where three entire sections can hear you loud and clear is just inappropriate.  Our students and fans yelling "this is F-ing bull$hit" in Charlotte was ridiculous.  Absolutely classless and stupid.  Its a small minority, but every fan base has its morons.  Until we start giving out a test before you can buy season and bowl game tickets (how awesome would that be, I'll be more than happy to write it), we just have to educate or shame these people until they shut up.  

Any kind of profanity is never, EVER to  be directed towards any student-athlete.  The kid is out there playing for a scholarship that doesn't even equate to minimum wage.  He/she is not a professional.  "Johnson, you're a bit**" is completely out of bounds.  You should get tossed for that, whether its a USF player or not.  Its not EVER the kid's fault.  And if a player is the road creative abuse from the student body can be quite fun.... but profanity isn't creative abuse.  

Say whatever you want about the coaches, they get paid.  But a "Johnson you're a F-ing idiot" doesn't help either.  Again, keep it clean.  And back up your thesis with examples, don't just yell "you suck."  

The "Bull$hit" chant is only appropriate under drastic circumstances, and we WAY overuse it.  We committed a crystal clear pass interference penalty in our own end zone in Charlotte, and our students started in with the chant practically before the flag hit the ground.  Don't be an idiot sports fan.  If its close go ahed and scream at an official, that's just trying to create an advantage.  But its true, your beloved Bulls actually sometimes commit penalties.  Shocking, but true.  Save the BS for when its really needed.  

Personally I have a tendency to invoke the name of many peoples Lord and savior, but I use his full name of "Jesus H Christ" (no, I don't know what the H stands for, I think its like the S. in Harry S. Truman).  Still not appropriate, and I really try not to do it.  I understand fan frustration probably more than anyone... but profanity just isn't appropriate in the student section or anywhere else.  Scream your head off, make yourself heard... but keep it clean.

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

Well put Collin. And,

Personally I have a tendency to invoke the name of many peoples Lord and savior, but I use his full name of "Jesus H Christ" (no, I don't know what the H stands for, I think its like the S. in Harry S. Truman).

The H is actually for Howard, after His dad.

"Our father, who art in heaven, Howard be thy name"

;D

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

and the book is know closed thanks to the fine words from Collin  :)

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  188

I totally agree that everyone needs to watch the language around the kids.  The way I was brought up as a man I also watch my language around the ladies.  I may be an old fuddy duddy (44) and I know some of the women these days have worse mouths than some of the guys, but thats the way I was brought up.  Around my buddies I may not use the best language, but around women and children I try to watch what I say.  I guess I figure if my Dad heard me say some words around women and children he would come back from the grave and whip my backside, deservedly so.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  77

The "Bull$hit" chant is only appropriate under drastic circumstances, and we WAY overuse it.  We committed a crystal clear pass interference penalty in our own end zone in Charlotte, and our students started in with the chant practically before the flag hit the ground.  Don't be an idiot sports fan.  If its close go ahed and scream at an official, that's just trying to create an advantage.  But its true, your beloved Bulls actually sometimes commit penalties.  Shocking, but true.  Save the BS for when its really needed.  

Colin...that's exactly what I was trying to say in my previous post. I'm not saying don't participate in the game. That is far from what I'm saying. Using that chant when it is uncalled for reflects poorly on the fans and shows ignorance about the game. But it seems like bullfreak understands now.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

While I am partial to the F-bomb during a moment of anger and pain, in my world its only appropriate in a lockerroom, an all adult male social gathering and then you still need to curb it best as possible.  IMO, excessive profanity is an example of gross ignorance.  I find excessive sarcasm & humor are much better ways to express yourself during levels of elevated frustration. Now stating this by no means do I follow these rules 100% of the time.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Cursing is going to happen. Even the most chaste of us let a few words slip in the heat of the moment. If you raise your kids correctly, hearing a few words of curse at a football game is not going to make a scintilla of difference. Seeing a drunk slob drop an f-bomb or two might actually be good for a properly raised child, so they know precisely why they shouldn't drink and use that type of language. We all have our personal opinions and preferences regarding swearing, but you also have to realize that it is not a crime. I personally do not like some of the wardrobe decisions of many of the fans at the game or the way they wear their hair, but it is none of my business. If an adult lets out a few words at a game, oh well. Now if that denegrates into every other word being an f-bomb and he becomes beligerent and makes it difficult for others around him to watch and enjoy the game, that is another story. Determining where your rights end and mine begin is always a tricky science, but when an entire football section is made uncomfortable by the LOUD and REPEATED acts of one fan, that is a pretty obvious case.

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

Whats the point, the only ones who can hear you is the people around you.  Nobody remotely close to the field can hear you, so really it just sounds ignorant and classless.  I never understood the people who shout at the coach, refs, etc who sit in the upper 1st level or even 2nd level.  THEY CANT HEAR YOU!!!   Even sitting in Row A in Level 1 they cant hear people on the field.  When its quiet, people on the sidelines can hear those in ROW A, but certainly not much beyond that.  

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,766
  • Days Won:  3

It's been my experience that the people letting it fly at the top of their lungs are actually screaming for attention.

I'll let one slip from time to time but not to the point of one complete sentence.