• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Prediction... USF @ UCF in the NIT

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,632
  • Days Won:  6

I'm thinking the NIT thought that guaranteeing home games to the top 2 available in each of the P6 would help with teams considering opting out.  Kinda blew up in their face.  They just pissed off other teams deserving of a first-round home game.

• Brad featured this topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  830
  • Days Won:  1

43 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

I'm thinking the NIT thought that guaranteeing home games to the top 2 available in each of the P6 would help with teams considering opting out.  Kinda blew up in their face.  They just pissed off other teams deserving of a first-round home game.

Or that those guaranteed home games will provide a guaranteed revenue stream. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,352
  • Days Won:  5

52 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

Interesting point.  from the NIT Board chair:

“The postseason college basketball landscape is becoming more competitive for teams that don’t qualify for March Madness,” said Dan Gavitt, NIT Board Chair and NCAA Senior Vice President of Basketball. “The change to the selection process for the 2024 NIT is a necessary effort to evolve this historic tournament in a dynamic event marketplace.”

WWW.NCAA.COM

The NIT has announced a number of changes to the tournament format, including the selection process, court regulations and timeout policy.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

On 3/16/2024 at 2:25 PM, flsportsfan83 said:

Hope we travel well. This team deserves it.

Thought they had a shot to overtake the 2012 team as best team in program history.

Lets win the NIT

a home game for the orlando school

usf cant get a break

13 hours ago, DontPushMe said:

Absolutely not. This game is yet another example of the ncaa making a mockery of us. Supporting it is harmful to the university 

dont blame the ncaa

usf didnt take care of their business

• Upvote 1

the games arent covered on regular cable tv?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, olafberserker said:

Interesting point.  from the NIT Board chair:

“The postseason college basketball landscape is becoming more competitive for teams that don’t qualify for March Madness,” said Dan Gavitt, NIT Board Chair and NCAA Senior Vice President of Basketball. “The change to the selection process for the 2024 NIT is a necessary effort to evolve this historic tournament in a dynamic event marketplace.”

Here's a good article about the changes, with the above further explained:

In September, The Messenger reported that Fox was negotiating a new postseason tournament to be played in Las Vegas involving teams strictly from the Power 6 conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, SEC and Pac-12). The catch in that proposal: The top two teams from each league that do not make the NCAA Tournament would be required to play in the Fox deal. That would leave the NIT picking over the carcass of what is left behind;

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,352
  • Days Won:  5

39 minutes ago, Triple B said:

In September, The Messenger reported that Fox was negotiating a new postseason tournament to be played in Las Vegas involving teams strictly from the Power 6 conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, SEC and Pac-12). The catch in that proposal: The top two teams from each league that do not make the NCAA Tournament would be required to play in the Fox deal. That would leave the NIT picking over the carcass of what is left behind;

and there you go..  More greed from tv networks and other 3rd parties ruining collegiate athletics

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,486
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

I'm guessing the casual basketball fan only watches the NCAA tourney and that alternative tourney is just lipstick on a pig...they still weren't good enough for the NCAA tourney.  Maybe fans of the team watch it....but I'd have no interest....only reason I'll be watching an NIT game is because USF is playing.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

38 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

I'm guessing the casual basketball fan only watches the NCAA tourney and that alternative tourney is just lipstick on a pig...they still weren't good enough for the NCAA tourney.  Maybe fans of the team watch it....but I'd have no interest....only reason I'll be watching an NIT game is because USF is playing.  

You'd really have to be a diehard basketball fan to watch NIT games when your team isn't playing. I'm still down that USF couldn't pull off the AAC tournament championship. Still proud of what they did...just a little down about having to go play Oveido. Hopefully we crush them!

Edited by Rex Havoc

• MikeG unfeatured this topic