• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Updated NET Rankings

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,603
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

This got me thinking, so I went back and looked at true mid-majors who are highly ranked to see how their home/away/neutral splits were and found the following: 

#17 Gonzaga - 14 home games, 5 neutral site

#18 St. Mary's - 17 home, 4 neutral

#19 SDSU - 12 home, 3 neutral

#20 Dayton - 14 home, 4 neutral

#33 FAU - 13 home, 7 neutral

#73 USF - 17 home, 1 neutral

Shouldn't that only be ooc games because that's the only scheduling we control if you're talking about scheduling startegy?

2 hours ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

VPoAMK should be doing his best to give our guys their best shot at making the tourney every season, and unfortunately that may mean sacrificing home games for us fans. 

For some reason, I've always been under the impression that the basketball head coach is the primary driver on the ooc schedule ....

Edited by Triple B

22 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

also cut the usgly gold Tampa Bay uniforms

Never ....

• Haha 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  847
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Shouldn't that only be ooc games because that's the only scheduling we control if you're talking about scheduling startegy?

For some reason, I've always been under the impression that the basketball head coach is the primary driver on the ooc schedule ....

Yes - definitely the OOC schedule, but also work with the league office to game NET by doing home/homes with all of the top teams. 

I'm not familiar with who schedules the games, only assumed it was the AD. I think an early season tournament would be really cool, especially if it's easy to travel to and might contain Q1-Q2 games. 

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

4 hours ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

It's obviously a flawed system, but since it is defined and objective, VPoAMK should be doing his best to give our guys their best shot at making the tourney every season, and unfortunately that may mean sacrificing home games for us fans. 

Not necessarily true.

"Some teams take part in non-conference multi-team events, or MTEs, that are held in November and December. In April 2020, the Division I Council passed legislation that allows men's basketball programs to schedule up to 28 regular-season games and participate in an MTE that has up to three games, or 29 regular-season games while participating in an MTE that has up to two games, for a total of 31 games in either scheduling optionTeams that don't participate in an MTE can play up to 29 regular-season games."

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-10-27/how-many-games-are-college-basketball-season

This season we'll finish having played 29 regular season games, but if you have a look at the standings across men's basketball, there are teams that have played 31 (i.e. Vermont). It seems as though we are able to schedule a couple more games if we played in a tournament early on. We could utilize those games, on a neutral court, to increase our neutral court wins to assist with NET, without sacrificing a game-for-a-game by scheduling the OOC games on the road. Makes up for a couple of them at least. Maybe make 1 or 2 of the OOC games on the road instead of home and just like that we pick up 3-4 non-home games (only 1 or 2 from our usual schedule).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,492
  • Days Won:  0

I'm sure future seasons will have more difficult OOC opponents.  Coach set up the schedule for a team playing together for the first time and predicted to finish 9th in the conference.  We lost to weaker OOC teams earlier in the season so scheduling tougher teams would have still resulted in a loss.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  304
  • Days Won:  0

My favorite activity outside of watching USF win is rooting for these very mid “bubble” teams to lose. 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  847
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, bullstampede9922 said:

I'm sure future seasons will have more difficult OOC opponents.  Coach set up the schedule for a team playing together for the first time and predicted to finish 9th in the conference.  We lost to weaker OOC teams earlier in the season so scheduling tougher teams would have still resulted in a loss.  

The problem with "more difficult" is that you cannot control where they are going to finish in the NET, no matter how difficult the matchup. What we can control is lowering the threshold of the NET by playing more neutral and away games, especially early in the season. 

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

Shouldn't that only be ooc games because that's the only scheduling we control if you're talking about scheduling strategy?

1 hour ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Yes - definitely the OOC schedule, but also work with the league office to game NET by doing home/homes with all of the top teams.

The league can't, and really shouldn't, recognize "top" teams in that regard. Assume they have some sort of formula they use when setting up schedules on a year to year basis that treats every school equally ...... and who knows who the top teams will be. USF and Charlotte are top teams that were picked to finish 9th and 113th, respectively.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,471
  • Days Won:  13

2 hours ago, USFBulls12 said:

Not necessarily true.

"Some teams take part in non-conference multi-team events, or MTEs, that are held in November and December. In April 2020, the Division I Council passed legislation that allows men's basketball programs to schedule up to 28 regular-season games and participate in an MTE that has up to three games, or 29 regular-season games while participating in an MTE that has up to two games, for a total of 31 games in either scheduling optionTeams that don't participate in an MTE can play up to 29 regular-season games."

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-10-27/how-many-games-are-college-basketball-season

This season we'll finish having played 29 regular season games, but if you have a look at the standings across men's basketball, there are teams that have played 31 (i.e. Vermont). It seems as though we are able to schedule a couple more games if we played in a tournament early on. We could utilize those games, on a neutral court, to increase our neutral court wins to assist with NET, without sacrificing a game-for-a-game by scheduling the OOC games on the road. Makes up for a couple of them at least. Maybe make 1 or 2 of the OOC games on the road instead of home and just like that we pick up 3-4 non-home games (only 1 or 2 from our usual schedule).

Don't forget that USF played in an MTE with one game: the Orange Bowl Basketball Classic in Sunrise, Florida.  So USF could have scheduled one more OOC game.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

Here's a thought.  The soft OOC this year allowed this team to gel and CAAR to properly implement everything while evaluating and developing his players leading to the kind of run and success we have had.   Everyone would be happy as **** at the beginning of the season if they knew we would be where we are currently, you might even say we are ahead of schedule.  Now we got folks wanting to Monday Morning QB the AD and coach because of the way they did the schedule.  GEEEEZUUUUSSSS LOOOOOOOOOOORD.   

How about we just let the season play out and enjoy where we are and trust that these guys that get paid a lot of money do what they do.

• Upvote 2