• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MBB Thoughts

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  170
  • Days Won:  0

No one saw the win coming against FSU.  We see the potential, however the results have been very inconsistent.

I know that CAAR is trying to figure out the best rotation.  How many different starting lineups have we seen so far this season.  Is it a bad sign that the coaching staff has not seen enough in practice or games from some of the players to just lock in the starters.  Could this be causing our players to press too much on offense or play tight?  The defense that was played against FSU was great, they made FSU uncomfortable, where was this against C. Michigan, Maine, Hofstra, and UMass.  We wont develop an identity if we do not settle on a style of play.  

image.thumb.png.a6c00f8d8e734976018b098795e3f3ea.png

I don't see anything wrong with a 9 man rotation, but your best players need to be on the court 28-31 min a game.  If that is 3 or 4 guys soaking a majority of minutes so be it, then the role players will fall into place.  I don't see how we fix the consistency issues if we changing rotations and starters every game.  Look at the ranked teams, and how their minutes are distributed.  It is a bad sign if our players have not separated themselves at this point in the season.  We are going to have a long season, even coming off of a decent win.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

35 minutes ago, monktified said:

No one saw the win coming against FSU.  We see the potential, however the results have been very inconsistent.

I know that CAAR is trying to figure out the best rotation.  How many different starting lineups have we seen so far this season.  Is it a bad sign that the coaching staff has not seen enough in practice or games from some of the players to just lock in the starters.  Could this be causing our players to press too much on offense or play tight?  The defense that was played against FSU was great, they made FSU uncomfortable, where was this against C. Michigan, Maine, Hofstra, and UMass.  We wont develop an identity if we do not settle on a style of play.  

image.thumb.png.a6c00f8d8e734976018b098795e3f3ea.png

I don't see anything wrong with a 9 man rotation, but your best players need to be on the court 28-31 min a game.  If that is 3 or 4 guys soaking a majority of minutes so be it, then the role players will fall into place.  I don't see how we fix the consistency issues if we changing rotations and starters every game.  Look at the ranked teams, and how their minutes are distributed.  It is a bad sign if our players have not separated themselves at this point in the season.  We are going to have a long season, even coming off of a decent win.  

we are 7 games into his first year. maybe he has the recipe(system) just not all the ingredients(players)

honestly Knox leads the team in minutes and his shooting splits are awful. 27-12-61

maybe it's because they want his brother

Youngblood hasn't shot all that great yet either.

we need to shoot the 3 more consistently. 17-87 in the 4 losses. that's 20%

expect volatile results until we have more consistent shooting from behind the arc.

it may come with this group or it may not. time will tell.

• Content Count:  666

Was going to make a separate thread on MBB Thoughts but glad you made this one. 

A big question or concern that I have is on layups vs dunks.

I rewatched the FSU game and there were several layups that we missed one in particular by Miguel that I don't understand.

Why not dunk the ball? Is there a rule in college ball that discourages? I don't understand. I've seen this team miss many open layups this year that a dunk would solve the issue. Even possibly get an And 1.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,728

5 minutes ago, 350_BULL said:

I rewatched the FSU game and there were several layups that we missed one in particular by Miguel that I don't understand.

Why not dunk the ball? Is there a rule in college ball that discourages? I don't understand. I've seen this team miss many open layups this year that a dunk would solve the issue. Even possibly get an And 1.

What's funny is I specifically remember seeing Walker miss a contested dunk in the last game, and Miguel was motioning to him afterward that he thought Walker just needed to lay it off the glass to get the and-1. I'm betting most of the guys prefer a dunk over a layup when possible though.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

My thoughts are positive about the direction of the men’s hoops program. Probably have not felt this good about their future in a while. Keep in mind that CAAR only won 1 game during his 1st season at Kennesaw St before his win totals started blowing up. He already has won 3 games this season with one of those being against FSU on a neutral court. I still think they will win about 10 games this season. I hope I’m wrong and they win more but I do realize it is only his 1st season at USF. Next season will be even better imo 

• Content Count:  666

27 minutes ago, Gat-Rat Bull said:

What's funny is I specifically remember seeing Walker miss a contested dunk in the last game, and Miguel was motioning to him afterward that he thought Walker just needed to lay it off the glass to get the and-1. I'm betting most of the guys prefer a dunk over a layup when possible though.

Wow I know exactly the play you are talking about. It was at the 12:13 mark in the second half. He missed the dunk but got free throws. Didn't see Miguel initially but watched again closely and you are right about him telling him why not lay up?

I would agree with Miguel if we weren't missing them lol

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Also have to consider, we started the season about a month ago and have played a grand total of 7 games and have twice gone more than a week between games. They're likely still tweaking the lineups and rotations to figure out what clicks best because there are a lot of new guys and there hasn't been a lot of consistency in the space between games. I'd expect the team to start gelling better in conference play once they've got more games together under their belt and the games are consistently every few days.

• Content Count:  170

agree that with so many new faces coming in it is going to take more time for guys to gel.  Which is why I think even more reason to give guys more time on the court and let that start to be who stays on the court.  To the point above Youngblood is supposed to be our face of this years team, yet he is 3rd in minutes played.  I like Miguel coming off the bench, but again I feel we need to give the guys more time on the court in game situations to grow together.  I like Miguel coming off the bench and has to be the early favorite for sixth man, I also like the change of pace with Reid at PG, more importantly his is defensive energy and attacking mentality. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

9 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Where is the game available?

ESPN+