• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tale of QB play last year vs. this year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,335
  • Content Count:  21,334
  • Days Won:  10

Brad
This post was recognized by Brad!

Rizman was awarded the badge 'Conversation Starter' and 20 points.

Tell me, how did our QB go for 21 out of 21 passes last year vs. Tulsa and this year in the Alabama game the WR was open in the middle in 1st quarter heading to the end-zone and over threw him.   It seems to me something with this system has his timing all off.  Also, I do think the WR's this year are not the caliber we had last year.   Thoughts?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  398
  • Days Won:  0

6 minutes ago, Rizman said:

Tell me, how did our QB go for 21 out of 21 passes last year vs. Tulsa and this year in the Alabama game the WR was open in the middle in 1st quarter heading to the end-zone and over threw him.   It seems to me something with this system has his timing all off.  Also, I do think the WR's this year are not the caliber we had last year.   Thoughts?

Tulsa is a lot easier of a team than Alabama and WKU. We also do not have the same o-line or Wr, everyone is still learning. We start conference play this week, we'll see how they match up with similar teams

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,463
  • Days Won:  25

21 for 21 is an anomaly. If you drop that 21 for 21 last year he's 51%. This year he's 49 of 96 - 51% 

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Is it me or does it look like BB’s throwing motion/mechanics is a little different than last year?  I wonder if the coaches had him change his mechanics in the off season.

I wish one of these clowns in the media would ask CAG at the next presser.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,551
  • Days Won:  3

29 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

21 for 21 is an anomaly. If you drop that 21 for 21 last year he's 51%. This year he's 49 of 96 - 51% 

He’s consistent. I figured the Alabama game was pressure from Alabama and nerves. O-line play needs to gel some more, and the QB-WR needs to be better, but those things come with practice.

We may see the coaches scheme more towards BB skillset. I feel like this team has the potential to steal a few wins in conference play.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

58 minutes ago, Rizman said:

I do think the WR's this year are not the caliber we had last year. 

I agree with that.  They've got a lot of work to do to help out this team. 

Akin to @BDYZR's comment, I think we're seeing the real Byrum, the 18 yr old RS freshman needing more development and experience.

• Topic Count:  2,335
  • Content Count:  21,334
  • Days Won:  10

54 minutes ago, Brad said:

I agree with that.  They've got a lot of work to do to help out this team. 

Akin to @BDYZR's comment, I think we're seeing the real Byrum, the 18 yr old RS freshman needing more development and experience.

He sure is getting the experience. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

2 hours ago, Rizman said:

This one is easy. Our offensive line was much better last season. Additionally, we had real playmakers and gamebreakers at the WR and RB position. While our RBs have been solid, none of them are Battie. Likewise, X and Horn are just amazing WRs. They are a big part of the reason why Colorado is 3-0. If BB still had those guys to throw to, I am certain that we would have beaten Bama. Our wideouts do not have the ability to get separation. Atkins, a former walk-on, is the only consistent one among the group. CAG needs to start looking further down the bench in hopes of finding a guy who can be a true #1. 

For Battie it is a shame that he ran off to Auburn. They don't know how to utilize him in their offense. I really think we could be undefeated right now if the three of them had just stayed in Tampa. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

2 hours ago, Rizman said:

You answered your question right there.  GB struggled the first few games against much better talent, speed, etc last year.  Once we got into our conference games and the offense was gelling some there play was much different.  Tulsa is not Bama.  The level of competition matters at this point.   I think (hope) that we will see improved play by BB as we enter conference play.   And eventually will see it period

Edited by olafberserker

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

17 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

This one is easy. Our offensive line was much better last season. Additionally, we had real playmakers and gamebreakers at the WR and RB position. While our RBs have been solid, none of them are Battie. Likewise, X and Horn are just amazing WRs. They are a big part of the reason why Colorado is 3-0. If BB still had those guys to throw to, I am certain that we would have beaten Bama. Our wideouts do not have the ability to get separation. Atkins, a former walk-on, is the only consistent one among the group. CAG needs to start looking further down the bench in hopes of finding a guy who can be a true #1. 

For Battie it is a shame that he ran off to Auburn. They don't know how to utilize him in their offense. I really think we could be undefeated right now if the three of them had just stayed in Tampa. 

I think he is talking about missing wide open WRs.   There is a gap talent wise compared to last year but there were a lot of dropped passes and mistakes early on last year as well.  It got better as the year wore on.