• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

4th Down Aggressiveness

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

2 hours ago, BDYZR said:

It's a learning curve that Golesh has admitted to. It's also a whole lot easier to arm chair the decisions after the fact.

this was a Bad  hire if cag has such a learning curve

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,374
  • Days Won:  10

1 minute ago, smazza said:

this was a Bad  hire if cag has such a learning curve

I don't know, Steve.  Good experienced coaches weren't exactly knocking down our door.  And we have had good luck (once) with a coordinator.  It's just going to take time.  I think once we saw that we had a chance to be good, patience went out the window and some people want national relevance this season.

I see improvement and that is reason for excitement.  The achievements will come.

• Topic Count:  2,335
  • Content Count:  21,333
  • Days Won:  10

I like it.  I want a coach to be aggressive and take chances. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  848
  • Days Won:  1

that 4th and 16 I think would've been a 50+ yard field goal which to me would be better risk/reward but coach knows what our kicker can do and how well we can protect a block in that situation so I'm fine with the aggressive call. My concern was entirely the lack of creativity on 1st 2nd and 3rd downs...looked like '89 techno bowl four plays playbook

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

18 minutes ago, pascobull said:

that 4th and 16 I think would've been a 50+ yard field goal which to me would be better risk/reward but coach knows what our kicker can do and how well we can protect a block in that situation so I'm fine with the aggressive call. My concern was entirely the lack of creativity on 1st 2nd and 3rd downs...looked like '89 techno bowl four plays playbook

Yeah, it was outside his range according to the announcers.  I think some of the conservative nature of the play calls is due to the defense playing pretty well and not wanting to give up cheap scores because of mistakes by the offense.  Again, I think we will see some things change as we enter conference play when we should match up better 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,484
  • Days Won:  25

I am okay with going for 4th down but you got to be creative with some play calls. I would have liked to see some miss direction plays, roll outs with option to pass or pitch, a fake hb dive to roll out to a te or wr,  double jet sweep,  fake hb screen to a wheel route, flea flicker, or a double hb toss. We were playing with house money versus bama and went ultra conservative.  I hope Golesh and his offensive coordinator get more creative out there to make up for the lack of high end player makers. It felt like we had Sterling Gilbert calling plays again. You cant keep running hb dives especially against a defensive line full of 300+ players that are 4/5 star caliber. LEts see what Golesh was saving for Rice and conference play.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,976
  • Days Won:  12

the 4th and 16 call was fine. 

we are doing the right things. 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  452
  • Days Won:  0

Disagreed with a couple of the calls others have pointed out, but endorse the aggressiveness and mentality. 

I like what I’m seeing from this team and coach. I don’t think the rain delay did USF any favors but they came back out and immediately returned to form.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  53
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

I am okay with going for 4th down but you got to be creative with some play calls. I would have liked to see some miss direction plays, roll outs with option to pass or pitch, a fake hb dive to roll out to a te or wr,  double jet sweep,  fake hb screen to a wheel route, flea flicker, or a double hb toss. We were playing with house money versus bama and went ultra conservative.  I hope Golesh and his offensive coordinator get more creative out there to make up for the lack of high end player makers. It felt like we had Sterling Gilbert calling plays again. You cant keep running hb dives especially against a defensive line full of 300+ players that are 4/5 star caliber. LEts see what Golesh was saving for Rice and conference play.

I bet this is his philosophy through and through.

• Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,484
  • Days Won:  25

27 minutes ago, Mister Armstrong said:

I bet this is his philosophy through and through.

Bet  on what is his philosophy? That running up the guy until they stack the line for the deep ball or what I posted about the creative play calling. I am not trying to argue or get upset just interested which was your take.