• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ah, those academic folks . . .

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

4 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

We pay tons of fees that are for stuff we don’t need like hotel resort fees…. HOA fees…. The lists goes on…

Not sure you can equate those type things to the taxes being bantered about .....

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Not sure you can equate those type things to the taxes being bantered about .....

Agreed, I like an HOA, if you don’t then don’t buy in a development that has one, plenty of options. Hotel resorts are similar as well, Taxes for the most part we don’t have a choice except on state and municipalities.  However for the most part they take in way more than they need and I have realized they are all as greedy as hell. 

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

55 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Agreed, I like an HOA, if you don’t then don’t buy in a development that has one, plenty of options. Hotel resorts are similar as well, Taxes for the most part we don’t have a choice except on state and municipalities.  However for the most part they take in way more than they need and I have realized they are all as greedy as hell. 

Yup! Tons of dirty money going towards the deep state players. It is a big scam…

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

42 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

Yup! Tons of dirty money going towards the deep state players. It is a big scam…

Deep state players = The Reptilians ....... resistance is futile.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  227
  • Days Won:  0

13 hours ago, flsportsfan83 said:
7465QOWJLJCLLOJMFLR5N7V454.JPG

“It seems to me like the dangers outweigh the positives,” the Faculty Senate vice president says.

boohoohoo   Cry me a river. Athletics puts us on a much bigger stage than Richard Mannings liberal philosophy classes.

The faculty would have more creditability with me if the University already had AAU status.  They need to get their own house in order before complaining about other components of the University. 

Go Bulls

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

47 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Deep state players = The Reptilians ....... resistance is futile.

It is a mess!! Thankful for sports lol

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

16 hours ago, Triple B said:
16 hours ago, Bull Matrix said:

We pay tons of fees that are for stuff we don’t need like hotel resort fees…. HOA fees…. The lists goes on…

It is all a matter of perspective that differs over time and given circumstances.  I look at my local taxes, HOA fees and USF tuition as great bargains.  My federal taxes, subsequent donations to the alma mater's athletics department and court-ordered payments to exes less so. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

It is all a matter of perspective that differs over time and given circumstances.  I look at my local taxes, HOA fees and USF tuition as great bargains.  My federal taxes, subsequent donations to the alma mater's athletics department and court-ordered payments to exes less so. 

It is kind of like going on a cruise ship. Sure we don’t use everything while on the cruise but we at least get serenity which is priceless. Same with buying a beer at RJS. Yeah a lot is that money never makes it to USF but it is priceless as it helps calm my nerves watching USF football.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

On 5/24/2023 at 10:08 AM, Brad said:

Yet so many have athletics....what do they know that many here don't?

I'd like to know how it drains academics, save for the drama it kicks up.  We'll save that for another thread.

6543.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8

The University of Houston is hoping an extra boost to its teams will increase the school’s standing. But athletics can lead to even more debt

"But athletic prominence comes at a price. President since 2008, Khator has overseen an outlay of hundreds of millions of dollars into athletics: a bet that spending heavily on football and basketball, alongside improved academic offerings, adds value to the institution. A university spokesman declined to comment for this article.

Revenues have risen but Houston’s athletics expenses soared from $39.5m in 2014 to $73.7m in 2019 – less than half the amount that the top 10 schools spend but still a hefty amount. A handful of athletics departments, such as Texas (which has newly renovated one end of its football stadium at a cost of $175m) are profitable. Many others, such as Houston, subsidise sports programmes through funds from the university’s wider budget, mandatory student fees of hundreds or even thousands of dollars each year, and donations."

7 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:
6543.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8

The University of Houston is hoping an extra boost to its teams will increase the school’s standing. But athletics can lead to even more debt

"But athletic prominence comes at a price. President since 2008, Khator has overseen an outlay of hundreds of millions of dollars into athletics: a bet that spending heavily on football and basketball, alongside improved academic offerings, adds value to the institution. A university spokesman declined to comment for this article.

Revenues have risen but Houston’s athletics expenses soared from $39.5m in 2014 to $73.7m in 2019 – less than half the amount that the top 10 schools spend but still a hefty amount. A handful of athletics departments, such as Texas (which has newly renovated one end of its football stadium at a cost of $175m) are profitable. Many others, such as Houston, subsidise sports programmes through funds from the university’s wider budget, mandatory student fees of hundreds or even thousands of dollars each year, and donations."

It is kind of building a state of the art movie theater complex when people can just enjoy movies at home…