• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Guardian Caps

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,355
  • Days Won:  8

Last night was the first time that I can remember seeing the team play in the Guardian Caps (I have seen plenty of pictures of them practicing with them on)

I looked at Guardian’s website and they claim a 30%+ decrease in impact 

Given the concussion concern, I am wondering how long until a team does play an actual game in them

I never played football and I am guessing that there is probably a slight difference in playing feel with them on verses off.  Like all equipment changes though, you get used to the differences after awhile 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

I wondered the same thing last night as I watched some play with them on and a couple others not play with them on. 

10 minutes ago, Brad said:

I wondered the same thing last night as I watched some play with them on and a couple others not play with them on. 

I thought that everyone except the QBs had them on, but i was not specifically looking at who was and was not wearing them

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  232
  • Days Won:  0

If they are so effective at preventing concussions, why not wear them? They look goofy, but if it means our players are safe it is worth it in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Bullsaficianado said:

If they are so effective at preventing concussions, why not wear them? They look goofy, but if it means our players are safe it is worth it in my opinion.

Kind of my thought also

They can probably be screen printed with logos to fit in with the uniforms, so that should not be a concern 

Starting last season, the NFL mandated use in practice for certain positions and this year, it is recommending all positions - if the NFL puts them into games (next logical step) all other levels will as well

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Days Won:  3

Yep seems like a no brainer (haa see what i did there). I'm sure they could make a nicer lookong design for game play.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

On 4/15/2023 at 9:42 AM, bowman1 said:

Last night was the first time that I can remember seeing the team play in the Guardian Caps (I have seen plenty of pictures of them practicing with them on)

I looked at Guardian’s website and they claim a 30%+ decrease in impact 

Given the concussion concern, I am wondering how long until a team does play an actual game in them

I never played football and I am guessing that there is probably a slight difference in playing feel with them on verses off.  Like all equipment changes though, you get used to the differences after awhile 

Feel is a non-factor. It is actually a covering on the outside of the helmet. The player doesn't even know it is there.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,414
  • Days Won:  25

13 hours ago, JTrue said:

Feel is a non-factor. It is actually a covering on the outside of the helmet. The player doesn't even know it is there.

That is what I thought as well. Thank you for clarifying. I think is like the half-visor rule in hockey  for professional/junior hockey and players born after a certain year will have to start wearing the guardian caps in youth football and start working its way up.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

That is what I thought as well. Thank you for clarifying. I think is like the half-visor rule in hockey  for professional/junior hockey and players born after a certain year will have to start wearing the guardian caps in youth football and start working its way up.

I mean, I guess it probably does "feel" different when you hit someone with your head or vice versa. But, it doesn't feel different when you're just wearing it.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  19

I would be curious if there was any reason not to wear them all year long and in games. It would seem like a prudent thing to do. 

I hope that if the only argument against them is "look" or "Style" that they would be in use starting this Fall. 

• Upvote 1