• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hoops roster-builder thread

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,673
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Two other notes: Anthony Robinson is out and now committed to Virginia, but Russ Tchewa may return. Totally fine with Robinson leaving. He won’t get off the bench at UVA. There’s just not much to his game from what I’ve seen on video. He outsized the high school competition he played and just dunked on smaller guys.

Come on, Dave, he’s good enough for an ACC program to take a chance on him but we can’t use him to help basically build a roster from scratch …. does not compute. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,037
  • Days Won:  10

13 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

I think it’s even worse. At least football and baseball we are in talent rich areas so a good coach can build a team. Florida doesn’t have as much basketball talent, and those it does produce usually leave the state

Basketball I think is much easier then football. First of all for basketball we have great facilities. Second; all you need is 2 or 3 good players instead filling 22 spots plus special teams in football.

Getting top tier A Sun players is good to fill up the roster depth wise, but at some point he is going to have to get some rabbits out of his head, and get some top tier national talent like Gregory did with Harris.  If he is not able to recruit the type of players that Memphis, SMU, Wichita State,... are recruiting I am afraid that it will be another long season. So far recruiting is not good enough for us to finish in the top 7 of the AAC next year.

Getting Tchewa back would be huge. He got better every year, and could easily get us 13 points 9 rebounds a game next year

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

2 hours ago, belgianbull said:

Basketball I think is much easier then football. First of all for basketball we have great facilities. Second; all you need is 2 or 3 good players instead filling 22 spots plus special teams in football.

Getting top tier A Sun players is good to fill up the roster depth wise, but at some point he is going to have to get some rabbits out of his head, and get some top tier national talent like Gregory did with Harris.  If he is not able to recruit the type of players that Memphis, SMU, Wichita State,... are recruiting I am afraid that it will be another long season. So far recruiting is not good enough for us to finish in the top 7 of the AAC next year.

Getting Tchewa back would be huge. He got better every year, and could easily get us 13 points 9 rebounds a game next year

You think that we can recruit same type of players Memphis does? Man you are going to be disappointed. Our history says otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

You think that we can recruit same type of players Memphis does? Man you are going to be disappointed. Our history says otherwise.

Really don't care about our history. Our history is now in the past and its due time for us to become a major program. There is nothing that precludes us from doing so.

If FAU can get to the final four, North Texas can win the NIT, and UCF and Tulane can win New Year bowl games there is no reason we can't as well.

It starts with recruiting! If Golesh and Rahim can't recruit then we will be mediocre at best. Maybe we don't have to out recruit Memphis but we should be able to out recruit teams like ECU, Tulane,...

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,163
  • Days Won:  56

15 hours ago, Triple B said:

Come on, Dave, he’s good enough for an ACC program to take a chance on him but we can’t use him to help basically build a roster from scratch …. does not compute. 

Just going by what I see in his video highlight reel. It’s OK for you - and UVA - to feel otherwise. He looks to me like a guy who will be asked to play some defense, but that’s about it. We already signed another guy who looks the same and is actually taller and stronger. I would have much rather kept signee Tyler Ringgold than Robinson from what I saw on tape.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

49 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Really don't care about our history. Our history is now in the past and its due time for us to become a major program. There is nothing that precludes us from doing so.

If FAU can get to the final four, North Texas can win the NIT, and UCF and Tulane can win New Year bowl games there is no reason we can't as well.

It starts with recruiting! If Golesh and Rahim can't recruit then we will be mediocre at best. Maybe we don't have to out recruit Memphis but we should be able to out recruit teams like ECU, Tulane,...

For a basketball coach to be successful at USF, he must find players that will develop and be able to develop them. He basically needs to be able to repeat what he did at KSU. We aren’t getting the ranked kids and we won’t turn it around overnight 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,673
  • Days Won:  424

26 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Just going by what I see in his video highlight reel. It’s OK for you - and UVA - to feel otherwise. He looks to me like a guy who will be asked to play some defense, but that’s about it. We already signed another guy who looks the same and is actually taller and stronger. I would have much rather kept signee Tyler Ringgold than Robinson from what I saw on tape.

Makes sense, if we were just trying to plug holes in a roster, but we've only got 4 signed players, with 1 center signed and 0 committed. Hopefully CAAR will fill the roster out his first year the way CBG did but it doesn't help when taking another step backward.

47 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

For a basketball coach to be successful at USF, he must find players that will develop and be able to develop them. He basically needs to be able to repeat what he did at KSU. We aren’t getting the ranked kids and we won’t turn it around overnight 

Worried at this time that coach Rahim believes he can built a team with A Sun talent and win in the AAC. A Sun is really akin to FCS football.

Gregory was able to recruit Harris. We need 2 or 3 of Harris type players and we can be competitive right away.

Edited by belgianbull

14 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Worried at this time that coach Rahim believes he can built a team with A Sun talent and win in the AAC. A Sun is really akin to FCS football.

Gregory was able to recruit Harris. We need 2 or 3 of Harris type players and we can be competitive right away.

Well we did lose to ASUN teams last year. So let’s not act like all their talent is bad. We haven’t been world beaters with the talent we had.

So let the man get who wants to come here and let’s see how it plays out before we act like we are too good for ASUN talent 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,163
  • Days Won:  56

42 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Makes sense, if we were just trying to plug holes in a roster, but we've only got 4 signed players, with 1 center signed and 0 committed. Hopefully CAAR will fill the roster out his first year the way CBG did but it doesn't help when taking another step backward.

The game is going away from having a center. You can sign an athletic 6-8 guy and make him your 5 man these days. That’s why I’m not so sure losing Tchewa is a huge deal. That said, I’ll certainly take him back next season to add some stability. If I had a choice, I’d take big, physical guards who make it tough for teams to get the ball inside over a bunch of big bodies on the interior. And we could have that with two 6-4/220 guards in Miguel and Youngblood. Hoping we get another this weekend in 6-5 guard Kobe Knox.

Edited by Dave_Glaser