• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2023-24 Basketball Roster is up on GoUSFBulls.com

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

2 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

We should at least go 2-1 against the Owls.

2-1 would be improvement. I would even say 3 wins is possible. 

For the next few years at least, we will have lots of Owls to deal with. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12
  • Days Won:  0

Well Ringgold and Che asked out of their letters of intent and apparently Robinson is staying (best of the three) and we need bigs so that’s great.  Looks like the roster is at 7.  Kennesaw just hired an Alabama assistant so hopefully the wow factor won’t lure the three transfers back to that direction. Could be a long year next year…

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

1 hour ago, Craw Delli said:

Well Ringgold and Che asked out of their letters of intent and apparently Robinson is staying (best of the three) and we need bigs so that’s great.  Looks like the roster is at 7.  Kennesaw just hired an Alabama assistant so hopefully the wow factor won’t lure the three transfers back to that direction. Could be a long year next year…

To expect anything else would be pure folly ......

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, olafberserker said:

Why should we expect a long year?

Because it’s always a long year (recent memory). MBB has to prove it can win. It’s a shame because of all the sports this could be the quickest turnaround 

10 hours ago, olafberserker said:

Tradition? ........... It will be great if CAAR can hit the road running and turn this thing around immediately but to expect anything other than a rebuilding year isn't logical.

• Content Count:  2,033
  • Days Won:  10

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Tradition? ........... It will be great if CAAR can hit the road running and turn this thing around immediately but to expect anything other than a rebuilding year isn't logical.

Coaches come in all the time and find success right away. Dozens of examples at worse programs then us. Coach Rahim's first job when he came in was to convince our best remaining players to stick around. He was not successful. Job two was to get some transfers to come in through the transfer portal. So far not bad since both Stroud and Youngbloood are solid pick ups.

Add to that Miguel and you have 3 solid pieces. Now its up to Coach Rahim to go out and recruit 3 more solid players plus some players who have potential.

I am not saying that it will be easy, But if Rahim is the right hire he has to get it done and get us at least 12-16 wins this season . Look at the new ECU coach this season who had them win 16 games. Dusty May at his first year at FAU had a woeful FAU team go over .500. I could list dozens of other examples. A good coach can do the same.

Edited by belgianbull
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,453
  • Days Won:  19

13 hours ago, olafberserker said:

Because it is a Leap Year.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, belgianbull said:

Coaches come in all the time and find success right away. Dozens of examples at worse programs then us. Coach Rahim's first job when he came in was to convince our best remaining players to stick around. He was not successful. Job two was to get some transfers to come in through the transfer portal. So far not bad since both Stroud and Youngbloood are solid pick ups.

Add to that Miguel and you have 3 solid pieces. Now its up to Coach Rahim to go out and recruit 3 more solid players plus some players who have potential.

I am not saying that it will be easy, But if Rahim is the right hire he has to get it done and get us at least 12-16 wins this season . Look at the new ECU coach this season who had them win 16 games. Dusty May at his first year at FAU had a woeful FAU team go over .500. I could list dozens of other examples. A good coach can do the same.

So if he doesn't hit that mark that means he's not the right coach so we should cut our losses and fire him ....?

Every situation is different and what other programs have or haven't done has no bearing on ours. I hope he hits that mark but if he doesn't, it shouldn't mean he's not the right hire.

• Content Count:  2,033
  • Days Won:  10

13 minutes ago, Triple B said:

So if he doesn't hit that mark that means he's not the right coach so we should cut our losses and fire him ....?

Every situation is different and what other programs have or haven't done has no bearing on ours. I hope he hits that mark but if he doesn't, it shouldn't mean he's not the right hire.

No, I believe a coach should get three seasons ( unless you only have  6 wins total in first two seasons like  he had  at Kennesaw), so I would not be for firing him if he doesn't hit that mark. However, if he doesn't hit that mark I would consider it a disappointment, and would consider it an underachievement. Coaches come in all the time and have success. 

However, your point is valid that a coach can be bad a first season, and then turn it around ( see Taggart).  I just don't have that patience anymore. A solid hire can come in and get us at least 12 wins. As an expectation I don't think that 12 wins is that far of a stretch of possibility.