• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kelly Names Amir Abdur-Rahim to Lead South Florida Men's Basketball Program

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Days Won:  10

Welcome to Coach Rahim, and hope he can be our own Dusty May.

• Go Bulls! 2

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,345
  • Days Won:  43

They got til 2026 to figure this out. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

It's all coming together!

mad scientist experiment GIF

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, Bull Awakening said:

They got til 2026 to figure this out. 

Good thing our AD/VPA is a patient man

Amir Abdur-Rahim with the championship net
David Williamson

Amir Abdur-Rahim Accepts Head Coach Position at South Florida

3/29/2023 5:01:00 PM

By: Mark Wasik

KENNESAW, Ga.  – Kennesaw State University men's basketball head coach Amir Abdur-Rahim today announced he has accepted the same position at the University of South Florida. Abdur-Rahim led the Owls to their first ASUN Conference regular season and tournament championship this year, as well as the school's first NCAA Division I Tournament.  

"I want to thank our student-athletes, coaches, staff, Owl Nation and the Kennesaw Community for a historic four years at Kennesaw State," said Abdur-Rahim. "I want to send a special thanks to President Kathy Schwaig and Athletic Director Milton Overton for their support and trust in my vision for leading their Men's Basketball program. These decisions are never easy nor made without a ton of thought and prayer. My family and I are so appreciative of all the friends we have made here in Kennesaw and we are excited to meet the great people that make USF and the Tampa community so special." 

KSU had a storybook season under Abdur-Rahim this year. He guided an Owl team picked eighth in the preseason ASUN coach's poll to a sweep of the conference regular season and tournament championships. That earned KSU its first-ever trip to the NCAA Tournament, setting a record as the fastest team to ever reach the tournament after a one-win season, taking just three seasons. The 14th-seeded Owls took third-seeded Xavier to the limit, nearly pulling off the first round upset on March 17 in Greensboro in what was a one-point game in the final seconds before eventually falling 72-67.  

KSU finished the year with a school record of 26-9 for the first-winning season in the school's D1 history. The previous record for wins in a season at KSU had been 14, while the Owls also set new program standards at the Division I level for conference victories (15), non-conference victories (eight) and road victories (10).  

"We thank Amir Abdur-Rahim for his leadership for our men's basketball program and taking Kennesaw State University to new heights," said Director of Athletics Milton Overton. "He was intentional in his four seasons here for developing KSU into a championship-caliber program. It culminated with not only a banner season but produced years of academic achievement and community involvement. We wish Amir, his wife Arianne, his children, and their entire family success in the next step in their journey. 

"Our KSU men's basketball program brought transformative visibility to the Kennesaw State University brand this season with its appearance in the NCAA March Madness Basketball Tournament," added Overton. "The future of our KSU men's basketball program is brighter than ever, and we intend to build upon the championship program that Owl Nation expects and deserves as we move to Conference USA in 2024."  

"Coach Amir Abdur-Rahim built a program here that has raised our national profile, energized our current and prospective students, and inspired our alumni and others to support future academic and athletic success at Kennesaw State," said Kennesaw State President Kathy Schwaig. "I am grateful for his thoughtful leadership and for his belief in our students and University. Amir's legacy at KSU will last for years to come. We will miss him but wish him nothing but success in what is sure to be a long and successful career."  

Current KSU Associate Head Coach Ben Fletcher will serve as the interim head coach, while a national search for the next head coach of Kennesaw State men's basketball will begin immediately. Parker Executive Search Firm has been engaged to assist with the process. Interest and recommendations should be directed to Daniel Parker (danielparker@parkersearch.com) with Parker Executive Search.  

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,855
  • Days Won:  67

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

In club basketball there is no beginning to (or even a thought of) FT shooting.  Even in most high schools.  Many HS coaches tell players they are to work on FTs on their own time.  These days you're very likely to get fundamentally unsound players.  You do have to coach... and you can make an impact.

I have a coworker in Dallas deep into this and the talent here at a young age is insane.  It is a juggling match on getting the right players, managing the parents and trying to win as a team.  If you don’t mind sharing I would love to hear of what age you are coaching, any challenges and did you try to walk onto FAU back in the day? I thought I remember you saying this way back when. 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,344
  • Days Won:  5

You do have to coach... and you can make an impact.

I see what you did there.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

Someone told Michael Kelly to bring the Owls HC to USF, meaning FAU’s Dusty May. He went and got a different Owl’s HC… oops, same thing though, right? It should be fine…

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

I have a coworker in Dallas deep into this and the talent here at a young age is insane.  It is a juggling match on getting the right players, managing the parents and trying to win as a team.  If you don’t mind sharing I would love to hear of what age you are coaching, any challenges and did you try to walk onto FAU back in the day? I thought I remember you saying this way back when. 

That was someone who has forgotten more about basketball than Brad ever knew ....

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

I don’t coach anymore. Last gig was a second run with HS varsity.  I did not walk on to FAU.  I stopped coaching after talk we’d have another off season wearing masks.  Coached different ages over last 20 years.  

• Upvote 1