• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Baseball Season Is Here

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

After seeing 3 games live pitching is definitely an issue.  The starters did ok at times but none of them even lasted to the 5th.  Hudi probably pitched the best out of all 3.  The bullpen has some arms but depth isn't great.  Sankovich was the most consistent hitter all weekend, followed by Cantu.  For us to win were going to need Mayo, Brodil and some others contributing.  The young batters looked overmatched, hopefully they get better and quick.  UF will probably hammer us in 2 games.  I'm really interested how the FAU series plays out.  That might be a good measuring stick.

Go Bulls!

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Was hoping to steal one game from Maryland, so it's a success.  Would have been great to get a second win after winning on Friday, but it didn't happen. 

Back at it tomorrow.  Word around the camp is Jack Cebert is getting the ball Tuesday night.

Go Bulls!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  329
  • Days Won:  0

Of all the sports, baseball probably boggles me the most. I think the Tampa Bay area produces some of the best baseball talent in the country. I believe we should be going deep in the college world series annually. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Bullcocky said:

Of all the sports, baseball probably boggles me the most. I think the Tampa Bay area produces some of the best baseball talent in the country. I believe we should be going deep in the college world series annually. 

This again .... every program in the country is well aware of the talent we have in the area.  They're all recruiting it ... especially the top programs

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

6 hours ago, JoeB said:

After seeing 3 games live pitching is definitely an issue.  The starters did ok at times but none of them even lasted to the 5th.  Hudi probably pitched the best out of all 3.  The bullpen has some arms but depth isn't great.  Sankovich was the most consistent hitter all weekend, followed by Cantu.  For us to win were going to need Mayo, Brodil and some others contributing.  The young batters looked overmatched, hopefully they get better and quick.  UF will probably hammer us in 2 games.  I'm really interested how the FAU series plays out.  That might be a good measuring stick.

Go Bulls!

I concur.  After watching this weekend I fear that .500 is our ceiling, but it is too early to tell.  Didn't see much from Mayo.  I had to leave midway through yesterday's game, but saw that Boser went out to CF.  Might be something there

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

2 hours ago, olafberserker said:

I concur.  After watching this weekend I fear that .500 is our ceiling, but it is too early to tell.  Didn't see much from Mayo.  I had to leave midway through yesterday's game, but saw that Boser went out to CF.  Might be something there

Not much from Mayo and Brodil went 0-for-weekend. But it’s early.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

4 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Not much from Mayo and Brodil went 0-for-weekend. But it’s early.

6 walks a game from the staff is more concerning to me, at this point.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  883
  • Days Won:  1

Hate how CBM changes the lineup so frequently. Brutcher should never be leading off - don't care if it's a righty on the mound. Boser/Brutcher/Cantu should be at least 2-3-4 every single game until someone else out-hits them. Put Sankovich at leadoff as he gets on base. If we have another year of swinging for the fences at the plate, instead of hitting for OBP, .500 may be a stretch. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Hate how CBM changes the lineup so frequently. Brutcher should never be leading off - don't care if it's a righty on the mound. Boser/Brutcher/Cantu should be at least 2-3-4 every single game until someone else out-hits them. Put Sankovich at leadoff as he gets on base. If we have another year of swinging for the fences at the plate, instead of hitting for OBP, .500 may be a stretch. 

I'm ok with mixing things up for the first few weeks until conference play starts. Figure out your best OBP guy for leadoff, Brutcher 2. Boser gets a handful of games to show something, but he did hit .189 last year, so I wouldn't pencil him into the top of the lineup just yet. Mayo showed something last year, so he'd be my hypothetical 3. Cantu 4. But, either works. I'm high on Snow, so I'm biased. Turn that kid loose and see what you get from him. 

Sankovitch has the track record. I'm definitely good with something like:

1. Sankovitch

2. Brutcher

3. Mayo

4. Cantu

5-9 mix and match, use the next few weeks to get everyone legit ABs and see where they fall