• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Huge WBB game tonight at Tulsa

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,701
  • Days Won:  108

8 hours ago, Ricky the Bull said:

Our achilles heel might be the bench.  Glad to see they got some playing time in the last few minutes...

#12 is playing with a bit more confidence right now (not turning it over as much and as looked confident shooting the ball) and we don't seem to miss a beat when #20 comes in to spell #55. So maybe we're at 7 deep but still need more for a deep run.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

#12 is playing with a bit more confidence right now (not turning it over as much and as looked confident shooting the ball) and we don't seem to miss a beat when #20 comes in to spell #55. So maybe we're at 7 deep but still need more for a deep run.

56 bench minutes is pretty awesome to see. Essentially, we have 4 starters and then Brito and Gonzalez are splitting the 5th starter minutes. I think we can get away with a 7 player rotation where 2 or 3 others are providing 5 minutes or so worth of a breather for the starters. We shall see. The team definitely looks different since they came dangerously close to a full meltdown versus Houston. I am still holding out hope that we win out and snag the last #4 seed in the tournament. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,463
  • Days Won:  25

Not to be the Debbie Downer on a darn good win, but they have got to clean up the free throws. That will cost a game at point.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

6 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Not to be the Debbie Downer on a darn good win, but they have got to clean up the free throws. That will cost a game at point.

Sammie is our best free throw shooter, and she didn't get to the line last night. - I agree with your point, but the percentage sometimes reflects who gets to the line a particular night. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

3 hours ago, BDYZR said:

3 hours ago, Mike Stuben said:

Sammie is our best free throw shooter, and she didn't get to the line last night. - I agree with your point, but the percentage sometimes reflects who gets to the line a particular night. 

If last night was the first or one of the few games you tuned into this season, yes they shot poorly from the line compared to their average. On the season, their FT % is 72.9%. Last night they shot 56.3%...however, unless consistently at making 7 out of every 10 shots every game, averages are created from highs and lows. FT shooting is not typically the biggest problem for them as a team. It was actually their second worst FT % on the season after the Villanova game in which they missed 9 FTs (made 55%) but lost by 22 pts. But @Mike Stuben is correct. It depends on who is getting to the line that night and whether the yips go through the team at the same time. It happens. When the lid is on the basket, they need to do other things to win, i.e. limiting turnovers and getting the ball to the hot hands.

When poor FT shooting is happening on a particular night, concentrate on controlling other aspects of the game to win. Sometimes poor FT shooting is what results in a loss, and sometimes it isn't -- depends on the matchup and how the offense/ defense are playing.

The ladies are currently ranked 90/350 in D1 free throw shooting %.
#1 Gonzaga shoots 80.73%
#350 Southern University shoots 53.17%

basketball-women.png

Discover the current NCAA Division I Women's Basketball leaders in every stats category, as well as historic leaders.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

1 hour ago, USFBulls12 said:

If last night was the first or one of the few games you tuned into this season, yes they shot poorly from the line compared to their average. On the season, their FT % is 72.9%. Last night they shot 56.3%...however, unless consistently at making 7 out of every 10 shots every game, averages are created from highs and lows. FT shooting is not typically the biggest problem for them as a team. It was actually their second worst FT % on the season after the Villanova game in which they missed 9 FTs (made 55%) but lost by 22 pts. But @Mike Stuben is correct. It depends on who is getting to the line that night and whether the yips go through the team at the same time. It happens. When the lid is on the basket, they need to do other things to win, i.e. limiting turnovers and getting the ball to the hot hands.

When poor FT shooting is happening on a particular night, concentrate on controlling other aspects of the game to win. Sometimes poor FT shooting is what results in a loss, and sometimes it isn't -- depends on the matchup and how the offense/ defense are playing.

#1 Gonzaga shoots 80.73%

basketball-women.png

Discover the current NCAA Division I Women's Basketball leaders in every stats category, as well as historic leaders.

The only meaningful statistical category where the team is struggling is Turnovers Per Game. USF currently averages 15.7 per game, which slots us in at #152 in the nation. The other "deficiency" would be in Steals, where USF is #333. Interestingly, UCONN is #250, so steals doesn't appear to be a significant category as far as team success is concerned. We don't ever press, so you wouldn't expect us to have many steals. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,463
  • Days Won:  25

7 hours ago, USFBulls12 said:

#1 Gonzaga shoots 80.73%

basketball-women.png

Season ticket holder for a few years now. Not the first game I’ve watched. Not the first game that free throws were, could’ve have been, a problem. Simply saying that come tournament time a game could come down to free throws. 

• Upvote 1