• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some interesting perspective on recruiting the elite athletes

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,075
  • Days Won:  469

19 hours ago, CycleBull said:

If these kids are smart they would invest their money and set themselves up for a fruitful retirement. I wonder if any of these kids are being preyed upon like NFL and basketball players.

Of course they are, by agents, collectives, hoodie makers, Opendorse, etc.  Everyone trying to make more money on the back of players' NIL which is ridiculously broader than what went to court.  A mess.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,916
  • Days Won:  67

20 hours ago, CycleBull said:

If these kids are smart they would invest their money and set themselves up for a fruitful retirement. I wonder if any of these kids are being preyed upon like NFL and basketball players.

Sorry Cycle, but this may be the most naive post I have seen in quite a while. Majority are not smart and they will get screwed, can’t wait until the much larger IRS comes after them as well, it shall be a **** storm of epic proportions.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  774
  • Days Won:  1

7 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Sorry Cycle, but this may be the most naive post I have seen in quite a while. Majority are not smart and they will get screwed, can’t wait until the much larger IRS comes after them as well, it shall be a **** storm of epic proportions.

I’m hopeful.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,176
  • Days Won:  56

As I posted in my debate with GatorBull, this whole “system” has trouble written all over it. There are already - and will be - abuses from all angles because . . . humans. We may agree that the “student”-athletes deserve more than they have gotten in the past, but this NIL setup and its “collectives” is one of the more ridiculous ideas to come out of it. It’s the Wild West and is so set up for abuse. The fallout is coming - sooner or later.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,846
  • Days Won:  22

1 minute ago, Dave_Glaser said:

As I posted in my debate with GatorBull, this whole “system” has trouble written all over it. There are already - and will be - abuses from all angles because . . . humans. We may agree that the “student”-athletes deserve more than they have gotten in the past, but this NIL setup and its “collectives” is one of the more ridiculous ideas to come out of it. It’s the Wild West and is so set up for abuse. The fallout is coming - sooner or later.

Yes we are in the Wild Wild West days. You will start to see rules and restrictions start to be applied. It’s not in the best interests of any school even the big pocket ones for this to turn as it currently has into a free for all cash grab for players.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,916
  • Days Won:  67

32 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

Yes we are in the Wild Wild West days. You will start to see rules and restrictions start to be applied. It’s not in the best interests of any school even the big pocket ones for this to turn as it currently has into a free for all cash grab for players.

I guess where I disagree is who will implement and enforce these rules and restrictions?  The NCAA? There really is no governing body with enough clout to control this chaos.  The inmates are running the asylum.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,846
  • Days Won:  22

23 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I guess where I disagree is who will implement and enforce these rules and restrictions?  The NCAA? There really is no governing body with enough clout to control this chaos.  The inmates are running the asylum.

Not the NCAA per say, but if you think the big schools are going to see their pockets being taken by the players you are fooling yourself. They themselves will start putting roadblocks whether is as the FBS rules etc. you just wait and see.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,719
  • Days Won:  109

44 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

Not the NCAA per say, but if you think the big schools are going to see their pockets being taken by the players you are fooling yourself. They themselves will start putting roadblocks whether is as the FBS rules etc. you just wait and see.

Only problem is that it isn't the schools putting up the NIL.  There are the donors that have been trying to sneak money to kids for the past 30 - 40 years that don't have to hide it any longer.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,075
  • Days Won:  469

2 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

The NCAA deferred to the states.  It will be a mess until the NCAA comes out from under the bed and sets rules.  And of course the NCAA knows that there could be a breakaway.  No leadership.  

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,176
  • Days Won:  56

When do the university leaders themselves stop turning a blind eye and get involved? It has to be a bit of a mess for admissions offices, too.