• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

James Rowe coming home?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  485
  • Days Won:  1

17 hours ago, 12inchtaint! said:

I still think if CJS brought him in last year instead of Schoop he still has his job. 
Rowe was a finalist for the job last year. 

I am 100% in favor of AG choosing all these early to mid career guys and not relying on retreads with questionable pasts. 

12intaint! is easily the best username on this board!

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Days Won:  1

Not a fan of the top button. The last guy that went top button.... 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,695
  • Days Won:  108

5 hours ago, 12inchtaint! said:

The DC at least fits what AG wants to do. AG looked at the tape and saw the areas where he had holes on D and decided that instead of getting burned and being reactive, he would hire a guy with a history of being aggressive and attacking.  So at least next year when we are playing these shootout type games like Tulsa, Houston, UCF, ECU last year we have a coach who recognizes that the way for this defense to help win is to attack and force turnovers. 

Shoop and Spencer both tried to shut teams down- instead of constant pressure they tried to make their defense play for stops when they were clearly outmatched. 

I see orlando coming in and doing what a NFL DC like Wink Martindale did for Baltimore and NYG- creating lots of pressure with different blitzes and looks, hopefully leading to more turnovers. 

Worst case is a more aggressive terrible defense, best case is having a defense with an actual identity that can do its job 20-35% of the time as opposed to the 5% we saw last year. 

But again, at least there is an identity that is being established. Pressure and aggressiveness.  What was the identity the last two guys were pushing?

Totally understand being skeptical, but this coach has come in and done things pretty closely to what members of this board have been asking for:

1- not talking about what worked at past Jobs.

2- focused on winning football and not throwing out catchy slogans.

3- brought in some coaches with past connections to USF.  

4- has yet to make one excuse/prepared people for losing games next year. 

5- reviewed tape and has a grasp of what the returning guys can do  

Now I know we have to account for the fact that USF may be cursed, but if the past month is any indication, this is the type of guy that this school should have hired to run the program back in 2010. 

I don't pay real close attention to the schemes that coordinators run.  But weren't people saying that Shoop was coming in and will blitz more than Spencer? And didn't those blitzes give up long passes to D-backs that couldn't cover? 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,498
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

I don't pay real close attention to the schemes that coordinators run.  But weren't people saying that Shoop was coming in and will blitz more than Spencer? And didn't those blitzes give up long passes to D-backs that couldn't cover? 

I think our defensive line needs a  better and bigger  dt or two and our defensive backs need an upgrade or better coaching. We did get more sacks and tackles for losses last year. Gatorbull325  posted about it earlier. We just have a lot of  defensive backs getting burnt and a lot of missed tackles. The new DC needs to address tackling .

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,695
  • Days Won:  108

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I think our defensive line needs a  better and bigger  dt or two and our defensive backs need an upgrade or better coaching. We did get more sacks and tackles for losses last year. Gatorbull325  posted about it earlier. We just have a lot of  defensive backs getting burnt and a lot of missed tackles. The new DC needs to address tackling .

No, I get that. But questioning that the prior 2 DCs weren't different in their approaches?

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,498
  • Days Won:  25

7 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

No, I get that. But questioning that the prior 2 DCs weren't different in their approaches?

I am not sure about Spencer but I know Shoops defense system was all about getting sacks and tackles for loss. We did not have 5 defensive backs to be on the field every play to make that work.  I don't know why you would run 4-2-5 with our defensive backs. I think the new DC will use a 4 3 4 but I am not sure. Hopefully the defense improves  but there are reasons to be concerned.

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I am not sure about Spencer but I know Shoops defense system was all about getting sacks and tackles for loss. We did not have 5 defensive backs to be on the field every play to make that work.  I don't know why you would run 4-2-5 with our defensive backs. I think the new DC will use a 4 3 4 but I am not sure. Hopefully the defense improves  but there are reasons to be concerned.

I think its 3 up front due to depth. 

Shoop was supposed to be a blitz guy, but he relied a lot on sending his LB’s. He didnt send cb’s or safties in as much.  Then moving to the middle of the season he pulled away from that and went to bend but dont break- they taught the defense the bend part, but utterly failed on the not breaking… 

Im not saying that we will see a huge turnaround or to expect a bowl game, but at least for once we have someone like patrick out saying how his guys are going to be nasty and get after it.  I think that motivates the players more than the nice guy silent approach cjs and his d staff has taken. 

Also there has to be some back to basics taught- for 4+ years this defense has given up on 3rd and 8,9,12.  Need to teach these guys to use the field to their advantage when defending.  

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  536
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/2/2023 at 4:23 PM, Dave_Glaser said:

I called it. Bring my boy home. Genius.

• Upvote 1