• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

James Rowe coming home?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,126
  • Days Won:  56

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,548
  • Days Won:  28

29 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Finally some USF football news! 🤷🏽‍♂️ Goid stuff. I think somebody predicted that CAG was going the nfl route for the last coaching spot.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

I did not remember him, so just read his bio

Pretty neat that a guy who did not play collegiate football has moved up so high in the coaching ranks

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,497
  • Days Won:  25

41 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

Pretty neat that a guy who did not play collegiate football has moved up so high in the coaching ranks

Interesting and cool to see a USF alumni back at USF coaching. Lets hope he succeeds. 

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,126
  • Days Won:  56

44 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

Isn’t it? I remember him pitching for the Bulls.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

a529074b2aa24e6780289d902b3fc41a.jpg?w=6

James Rowe is leaving the Bears at the end of the season for USF, according to ESPN’s Courtney Cronin.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  0

I still think if CJS brought him in last year instead of Schoop he still has his job. 
Rowe was a finalist for the job last year. 

I am 100% in favor of AG choosing all these early to mid career guys and not relying on retreads with questionable pasts. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,982
  • Days Won:  12

I like it. Good news heading into the new year. And it's a proper NFL position coach not a water boy. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,497
  • Days Won:  25

13 hours ago, 12inchtaint! said:

I still think if CJS brought him in last year instead of Schoop he still has his job. 
Rowe was a finalist for the job last year. 

I am 100% in favor of AG choosing all these early to mid career guys and not relying on retreads with questionable pasts. 

His DC is another retread from FAU. Hopefully all the coaching  staff is much more competent and better at winning than the previous staff.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  0

55 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

His DC is another retread from FAU. Hopefully all the coaching  staff is much more competent and better at winning than the previous staff.

The DC at least fits what AG wants to do. AG looked at the tape and saw the areas where he had holes on D and decided that instead of getting burned and being reactive, he would hire a guy with a history of being aggressive and attacking.  So at least next year when we are playing these shootout type games like Tulsa, Houston, UCF, ECU last year we have a coach who recognizes that the way for this defense to help win is to attack and force turnovers. 

Shoop and Spencer both tried to shut teams down- instead of constant pressure they tried to make their defense play for stops when they were clearly outmatched. 

I see orlando coming in and doing what a NFL DC like Wink Martindale did for Baltimore and NYG- creating lots of pressure with different blitzes and looks, hopefully leading to more turnovers. 

Worst case is a more aggressive terrible defense, best case is having a defense with an actual identity that can do its job 20-35% of the time as opposed to the 5% we saw last year. 

But again, at least there is an identity that is being established. Pressure and aggressiveness.  What was the identity the last two guys were pushing?

Totally understand being skeptical, but this coach has come in and done things pretty closely to what members of this board have been asking for:

1- not talking about what worked at past Jobs.

2- focused on winning football and not throwing out catchy slogans.

3- brought in some coaches with past connections to USF.  

4- has yet to make one excuse/prepared people for losing games next year. 

5- reviewed tape and has a grasp of what the returning guys can do  

Now I know we have to account for the fact that USF may be cursed, but if the past month is any indication, this is the type of guy that this school should have hired to run the program back in 2010. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3