• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt - the plot thickens

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

Jim Leavitt, president of football operations.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,065
  • Days Won:  38

1 minute ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

Jim Leavitt, president of football operations.

Can he come down in his suit and headbutt people still like Triple H?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  38
  • Days Won:  0

Brad
This post was recognized by Brad!

USFguy1977 was awarded the badge 'Problem Solver' and 10 points.

After this fustercluck, Jim Leavitt is the ONLY option IMO.  And I was one of the ones saying he'd never coach at USF again.

Kelly has screwed this up from every single angle and left the program in shambles.  According to media accounts, Deion's camp hasn't been particularly good at hiding things from anyone except Kelly.  If he had read the tea leaves 4 days ago and turned the page, the narrative would have been quite different.  Our fanbase had already been whittled away to all but the most diehard - and the way this was played just took out a whole new swath of those.  We can sit here and talk about good Xs-and-Os coaches or good recruiters all we want, but what we need more than anything right now is a tourniquet to stop the bleeding with the goodwill of the fanbase - and the ONLY person who can do that is Leavitt.  Yes, the optics are bad.  It will be obvious to the whole world that Leavitt was not choice #1 (because why wait to hire him?).  Kelly just needs to be up front and admit that he was chasing a unicorn because that is what the fans wanted.  Acknowledge that Leavitt was not the first choice but frame it as if he were a close second and may actually be the better fit for the program in the long-run.  Imagine the legend of the Jim after he builds the program, gets fired, and then comes riding back in on his white horse to save us from certain death...

Point being that none of it matters without fan support.  And sure, fans will come with the wins...but can the wins come without fans?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

25 minutes ago, USFguy1977 said:

If he had read the tea leaves 4 days ago and turned the page, the narrative would have been quite different

It's possible that he did though.  All we know is we didn't hire the FAU coach, but there are arguments against him anyway.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  38
  • Days Won:  0

"USF" and "possible" don't go well together it seems...

If we can get Leavitt on the staff would all be forgiven?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

1 minute ago, Rocky Style said:

If we can get Leavitt on the staff would all be forgiven?

Until he's 4-8 in year 3 and MK is an idiot again ...... 

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,395
  • Days Won:  43

I think the best memory I have of Leavitt while he was the USF coach was when ESPN interviewed him right after he best WVU on the road. He got very emotional and basically broke down crying on national tv because he was so happy for USF & Tampa. For USF to hot give him another chance hurts me to be honest. Kind of makes me less of a fan I guess..

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

2 hours ago, USFguy1977 said:

After this fustercluck, Jim Leavitt is the ONLY option IMO.  And I was one of the ones saying he'd never coach at USF again.

Kelly has screwed this up from every single angle and left the program in shambles.  According to media accounts, Deion's camp hasn't been particularly good at hiding things from anyone except Kelly.  If he had read the tea leaves 4 days ago and turned the page, the narrative would have been quite different.  Our fanbase had already been whittled away to all but the most diehard - and the way this was played just took out a whole new swath of those.  We can sit here and talk about good Xs-and-Os coaches or good recruiters all we want, but what we need more than anything right now is a tourniquet to stop the bleeding with the goodwill of the fanbase - and the ONLY person who can do that is Leavitt.  Yes, the optics are bad.  It will be obvious to the whole world that Leavitt was not choice #1 (because why wait to hire him?).  Kelly just needs to be up front and admit that he was chasing a unicorn because that is what the fans wanted.  Acknowledge that Leavitt was not the first choice but frame it as if he were a close second and may actually be the better fit for the program in the long-run.  Imagine the legend of the Jim after he builds the program, gets fired, and then comes riding back in on his white horse to save us from certain death...

Point being that none of it matters without fan support.  And sure, fans will come with the wins...but can the wins come without fans?

I am certainly no Leavitte however this seems like the only way out for our inept athletic leadership

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

8 minutes ago, Bull Awakening said:

I think the best memory I have of Leavitt while he was the USF coach was when ESPN interviewed him right after he best WVU on the road. He got very emotional and basically broke down crying on national tv because he was so happy for USF & Tampa. For USF to hot give him another chance hurts me to be honest. Kind of makes me less of a fan I guess..

💯 agree with you on this. So many fans asking to have Leavitt back, and athletics just ignoring it. If we have to be stuck in this crap conference at least give us a coach or something to be excited about or passionate about. You bring in Manny Diaz or some retread coach and you might as well kiss even the diehards goodbye. 

• Go Bulls! 2