• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gary Patterson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

7 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Urban would be the best hire and it would never happen. He got gets some nil deals going from Dale Mabry's finest establishments.

I'd be all for Urban. We'd certainly be interested if he was willing right?

One of his favorite things about Gainesville was not having to travel to recruit. We could pitch it as a place where he could never go further than a 3 hour drive and find all the talent he needs to go undefeated in this conference. Also his family now lives in the Siesta Key area so if he doesn't want to move this would be his best bet to return to coaching.

• Downvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

Just now, bulloni said:

I'd be all for Urban. We'd certainly be interested if he was willing right?

One of his favorite things about Gainesville was not having to travel to recruit. We could pitch it as a place where he could never go further than a 3 hour drive and find all the talent he needs to go undefeated in this conference. Also his family now lives in the Siesta Key area so if he doesn't want to move this would be his best bet to return to coaching.

I am all for it but i find it almost impossible it would take a job like USF.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

6 hours ago, thekidnapper said:

He recruited in Texas and guided TCU from WAC to CUSA to MWC to Big 12. He was also loyal by staying for 21 years. Final piece is he has a crazy record and is from the same KSU coaching tree as CJL, I believe.

So he can recruit Texas. Would rather someone that understands florida and has connections already. 

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  540
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, BayIslandBull said:

So he can recruit Texas. Would rather someone that understands florida and has connections already. 

I totally understand and respect that line of reasoning. Of all the things I want the next coach to have, the past experience of recruiting Florida is low if the person has shown proclivity in recruiting especially in a competitive state like Texas or California. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

I am all for it but i find it almost impossible it would take a job like USF.

Urban won’t get a look. He probably has the most baggage then any of the other candidates 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

10 minutes ago, Bull Awakening said:

Urban won’t get a look. He probably has the most baggage then any of the other candidates 

Baggage means nothing if you are winning national championships. You get rid of them after  he brings credibility and championships to your program.

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

With Patterson, our defense wouldn’t suck, that’s for sure.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  30
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

Let's review:

image.png.cd7fd36860318f67776c84a9a8130424.png

For his tenure at TCU, that appears to be a pretty dang good resume. Back in '03, USF lost to TCU by a scant three points. The next year, TCU lost to USF by a single point in double overtime. As for "recruiting Florida", not sure how much of a factor that really is.  Recruiting the Southeast region seems to be a more fertile ground. Then again, not saying it to be mean, you have to sell the product to recruits and the job of selling USF compared to Tejas / Tejas Christian could be considerably different projects for factors other than geography.  And he and I are the same age, although he chose to spend his formative years in the wheat fields of Kansas, I chose to meander the soya bean fields of North Carolina - so there's that. Always go with the rural route ! 

this shows a coach in serious decline and TCU made the right decision to get rid of. in the 4 seasons prior to this oen he went 21-22 and they clearly had talent because as as they replace him with a coach who isn't in decline they're undefeated and will be in the playoffs if they win out.

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

1 hour ago, 3-6-Latvia said:

this shows a coach in serious decline and TCU made the right decision to get rid of. in the 4 seasons prior to this oen he went 21-22 and they clearly had talent because as as they replace him with a coach who isn't in decline they're undefeated and will be in the playoffs if they win out.

So maybe he’d be re-energized with a new challenge. He’s a better option than Frost, Simmons, Gruden, etc.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

That's a good point. If we take a look at USF & TCU since 2000, both school's winning season trends follow pretty parallel curves. Difference being that during that timeframe, TCU averaged 9 wins per season compared to our 6, with the lowest number of games won for TCU at 3, compared to our 1.  However, they had two coaches (Francione's last year was 2K) whereas we ran through five. We were in three different conferences, but they were in four. So, we might have more in common than one would think. Just sayin'... 🤔