• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Replacements for Jeff Scott

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

12 minutes ago, goingbackbull said:

My God people stop reading all this BS about Gruden.  He is a good person, just listen to his ex players they defend him as a great human being.  So what if he said stuff in an email, people say stuff ,it's how you actually treat others and knowbody has said he treated them bad.  This society of beleiving everything in text is getting to be so shameful. Look at peoples actions not what they say.   I have said so many things to freinds over my 55 years on this earth that people would say I'm racist or a homophobe or misogynistic and I am not, I follow my christian beliefs of loving everyone (but my ex wife)  and doing my best to help as well as believing everyone can succeed in life if they work hard, it doesn't matter the color of your skin or sexuality.  Just be a good person and I have nothing but love for you

I can respect this. I also know people are who they truly are, behind closed doors. Some of the worst people have the prettiest masks. You can always find skin folks on every side of an issue so their word doesn't mean much to me. I believe you can be a good person and still make terrible mistakes. People aren't all good or all bad, there are many shades of gray.

No one's perfect, I'm not asking for that. I'm asking my fellow Bulls to see just how problematic hiring him will look. We all have our confirmation biases, and people can choose to see only facts and opinions that bolster their own. I'm not trying to be combative or holier-than-thou, I just feel really uncomfortable with Gruden as a prospect because he hasn't tried to fix it. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

16 hours ago, zarnozdabull said:

Some actually believe this guy was incapable of being an untouchable hothead. 

DFB5D407-1C33-4058-AB73-1BC3C82BE9AF.jpeg

Meanwhile, Mike Norvell did this same thing last weekend and was applauded for his leadership and teaching. But by all means, carry on.

https://twitter.com/FSU_Barstool/status/1589084912627625986?t=tED-hmWmctJw49V8q6tEJA&s=19

Edited by Orlando Bull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

1 minute ago, Orlando Bull said:

Meanwhile, Mike Norvell did this same thing last weekend and was applauded for his leadership and teaching. But by all means, carry on.

Yeah, uh no. Kind of hard to really compare the two without seeing the vid of Jim’s total interaction but there’s no screen shot of Norvell’s exchange that would compare to that one of Jim. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Yeah, uh no. Kind of hard to really compare the two without seeing the vid of Jim’s total interaction but there’s no screen shot of Norvell’s exchange that would compare to that one of Jim. 

OK, but are was talking about Norvell being capable of losing his temper, or this

This says a lot about Mike Norvell. He cares about his players, he cares about the culture

So, when Leavitt gets in a players face, he's a lunatic, when Norvell does it, he cares? The major reason it looks different is because Leavitt is a big man (or at least was at the time), he didn't look like the player could kill him immediately if he wanted to where Norvell is pretty non-threatening physically. And yes, Norvell didn't grab the player, but he yelled at him once, then followed him to do it again. Still, maybe he doesn't grab the player because it's 2022 and the norms have shifted... and the aforementioned physical differences.  By the way, I am in the camp that agrees with what Norvell did, I don't think he was wrong at all, but I also don't think that 15 years ago, living by 15-years ago standards, that Leavitt was wrong, even by the snap shot evidence.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Do we really see Jon Gruden hitting the road, going to high schools throughout the state/country personally recruiting players at their games, as opposed to someone like Willie Simmons? Is his former TV personality going to be enough to convince players to come if he isn’t? Are we hiring him - and most likely spending a ton of $$$ - because of his name alone, or is he really going to be 100% dedicated to making USF the best FBS team possible through all the little things at every waking moment?

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  541
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

Do we really see Jon Gruden hitting the road, going to high schools throughout the state/country personally recruiting players at their games, as opposed to someone like Willie Simmons? Is his former TV personality going to be enough to convince players to come if he isn’t? Are we hiring him - and most likely spending a ton of $$$ - because of his name alone, or is he really going to be 100% dedicated to making USF the best FBS team possible through all the little things at every waking moment?

I don't think him recruiting will be a problem, my only worry is how will he handle his frustration when a 19 year old kid doesn't understand his play book

Edited by goingbackbull
spelling

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  38

1 hour ago, goingbackbull said:

My God people stop reading all this BS about Gruden.  He is a good person, just listen to his ex players they defend him as a great human being.  So what if he said stuff in an email, people say stuff ,it's how you actually treat others and knowbody has said he treated them bad.  This society of beleiving everything in text is getting to be so shameful. Look at peoples actions not what they say.   I have said so many things to freinds over my 55 years on this earth that people would say I'm racist or a homophobe or misogynistic and I am not, I follow my christian beliefs of loving everyone (but my ex wife)  and doing my best to help as well as believing everyone can succeed in life if they work hard, it doesn't matter the color of your skin or sexuality.  Just be a good person and I have nothing but love for you

That's all fine and all, but perception matters more than reality when it comes to recruiting.  How many players will want to come play for him?  How many parents won't even take his phone calls?  He has made no attempt at a public apology or damage control - whether he was in the right or not - he simply has too much baggage.  The only way USF will ever be a relevant program again is with someone who can outrecruit our level.  

• Upvote 1

Another thing I'm thinking about Gruden.  Does he bring in some ex Bucs to the staff.   D Brooks as D coordinator, Sapp as DL coach, Shaun King back ect  Not sure if they would be great coaches but recruiting Tampa would be insane

Just now, USFguy1977 said:

That's all fine and all, but perception matters more than reality when it comes to recruiting.  How many players will want to come play for him?  How many parents won't even take his phone calls?  He has made no attempt at a public apology or damage control - whether he was in the right or not - he simply has too much baggage.  The only way USF will ever be a relevant program again is with someone who can outrecruit our level.  

I'm a big sportdsfan and honestly I barely knew about the email scandel until this whole rumor thing came up.   Most people have no idea what happened and if he uses ex players backing him up it will be no problem

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

2 minutes ago, USFguy1977 said:

This is why Deion excites me. No idea how he is with X's and O's but we'd have so many blue chippers we could out-talent teams in this conference