• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Interesting Tweet

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

12 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I usually don't care about the coin flip, but I remember saying at the time I was surprised we kicked off into their strength and our biggest weakness instead of letting our new offense take the field first.  Oh well who knows...

I have been saying this since last season. The worst thing we could do is defer the opening kickoff. Putting Timmy out there down 7-0 was a recipe for disaster. I'm hoping everyone learns from the mistakes of this week and looks progressively better throughout the season. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,099
  • Days Won:  39

6 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

At some point we gotta ask where the buck stops, and based on the lack of preparation on the simplest things, the answer seems pretty clear. 🤷‍♂️

I ask this in not a pot-stirring way, but actual curiosity: 

If getting the plays in on defense is the question (CJS just said in his press conference that they were not expecting BYU to run up tempo), is that objectively on the coaching staff and not the players?  I could see getting a call in and they are out of position, but what about not having everyone ready to accommodate the flow of information quickly?  This seems like the kind of scenario you have to drill (like a meta-level information flow strategy).  This was also a problem last year at least on offense in key situations.

20 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I have been saying this since last season. The worst thing we could do is defer the opening kickoff. Putting Timmy out there down 7-0 was a recipe for disaster. I'm hoping everyone learns from the mistakes of this week and looks progressively better throughout the season. 

I didn't pull the stats, but I remember at least a few of our big games being lost by halftime, so I would agree there.  Normally I get the logic of deferring, but not in this case for some reason.  

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,496
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I ask this in not a pot-stirring way, but actual curiosity: 

If getting the plays in on defense is the question (CJS just said in his press conference that they were not expecting BYU to run up tempo), is that objectively on the coaching staff and not the players?  I could see getting a call in and they are out of position, but what about not having everyone ready to accommodate the flow of information quickly?  This seems like the kind of scenario you have to drill (like a meta-level information flow strategy).  This was also a problem last year at least on offense in key situations.

He sounded like with up-tempo teams, they only have time to check what personnel is out there and try to match it defensively.  It's something you prepare for.  Apparently, BYU is not an up-tempo offense and with having to institute an entirely new defense, they overlooked planning for the possibility of up-tempo.   Which in hindsight, is a coaching blunder, but if they learn from it and it doesn't happen again, I'll give them a pass.  

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,673
  • Days Won:  424

1 hour ago, bowman1 said:

An exciting play that occurred 1.5 quarters after the game was decided . . . Hindsight is 20/20, but if that had been the opening kick-off, things might have been different Saturday night

I believe that @hm101was referring to the fact that we brought in a championship winning QB, but really did not try to utilize his skills until the third or fourth offensive series (by which time the game was basically over)

More than likely, the decision to defer, as well as the play calling for the first few series, was decided earlier in the week.  Hopefully CJS and CTT review the impact those decisions had and adjust accordingly 

Hind sight is indeed 20/20 but I'm thinking the game would have been just about the same regardless ...... unless we returned every kick-off they had for a td.

I've got to assume that the coaches will do a lot of reviewing of that game ...... but don't ever change the logic of deferring if you win the toss. It's the smart play.

4 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

He sounded like with up-tempo teams, they only have time to check what personnel is out there and try to match it defensively.  It's something you prepare for.  Apparently, BYU is not an up-tempo offense and with having to institute an entirely new defense, they overlooked planning for the possibility of up-tempo.   Which in hindsight, is a coaching blunder, but if they learn from it and it doesn't happen again, I'll give them a pass.  

And only in hindsight is it a coaching blunder. With installing the new D, can't blame them much for not preparing for something they didn't really have knowledge of .... there's only so much time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Hind sight is indeed 20/20 but I'm thinking the game would have been just about the same regardless ...... unless we returned every kick-off they had for a td.

I've got to assume that the coaches will do a lot of reviewing of that game ...... but don't ever change the logic of deferring if you win the toss. It's the smart play.

Hmm I don't know.  CFB is more of a game of emotion and momentum.  I think you have to not play right to the opponent's strength and your weakness.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Triple B said:

And only in hindsight is it a coaching blunder. With installing the new D, can't blame them much for not preparing for something they didn't really have knowledge of .... there's only so much time.

Can't any team use a hurry up though especially in 2 minute mode?  Anyway, I am sure they have the ammo they need for "teaching moments" now...

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  222
  • Days Won:  1

Didn’t prepare for the hurry up? Half the teams in our league run hurry up! You should always be preparing for that ****! I don’t understand why we don’t run more hurry up now that I think about it. 

Just now, Rocky Style said:

Hmm I don't know.  CFB is more of a game of emotion and momentum.  I think you have to not play right to the opponent's strength and your weakness.

It's hard to get enough emotion and momentum in the first couple of minutes to sustain it for an entire game .... again its all 20/20 hindsight. We take the opening kick-off, the game goes the way it probably would have regardless, and you're down by 5 scores and they get the ball to start the second half.