• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

An OCS Can’t Fix That

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  1

Ouch!  That was bad.  Really bad.

An OCS for the football team will be no different than the On Campus Dome is for the basketball team.  If they don’t win no one will go to the games, no matter how close the stadium is, especially after the first year and the newness wears off.

I talked to a friend of mine that I played with for three years about the OCS issue.  He played at U of Miami and won a National Championship so he’s got some credibility on this subject in my opinion.

They do not have an OCS for those of you that don’t know.  They play in an NFL stadium.  Originally the Orange Bowl and now Hard Rock Stadium.  He said playing in an NFL stadium, on “the big stage” as he called it, was one of the draws to playing at U of M.  He went on to say that in his opinion given the current state of the USF FB program only small time players would be interested in playing in a small stadium for a small time program.  He said any coach worth his paycheck should be able to use Ray Jay to his advantage when it comes to recruiting.  QUOTE:  It’s the big stage for crying out loud!  He also said that there were years when U of M games drew more fans than the Dolphins.  I’ll have to take his word on that.

It hurts to hear that but I trust his opinions.  He had a lot of success in college and the NFL AND is a pretty smart guy.  He had some other things to say which I’ll add later, one of which is the importance of the practice facilities which is where players spend a lot of their time.

I got “flamed” for posting against the need for an OCS right now previously so go ahead and take your shots if you think that will help the program.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,011
  • Days Won:  2

CFB has changed since the Miami glory years. The atmosphere in pro stadiums doesn't compare, and USF needs a place that we own.

That said, in the current state of the program i don't think it matters where we play, we will be lucky to get 20k there.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

I don't really get the OCS lust, particularly given our situation and the current state of college football.  But then I understand everyone has their own priorities.  After years of pouring time, work and money into supporting the program this is where I drew my personal line in the sand.  If they truly find a way to integrate it into the campus and the community at large as a multi-purpose facility I guess it will be OK.  If folks are looking at this as the magic bullet for success, I think they will be sorely disappointed.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

Fans care about an OCS because a) we don’t have one b) we want some form of excitement and c) we want to pretend it will somehow change something 

VPMK and CJS care about an OCS because they have no plans or solutions on how to fix the actual problems that directly tied to their jobs so this passes the buck back to the fans and buys them more time to fail.

If I could change whatever I wanted about USF athletics an OCS wouldn’t be in the top 1000 and building one now just feels grossly irresponsible.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

Attendance for UM during NC seasons:

1983 - 44,555

1987 - 53,950

1989 - 51,653

1991 - 57,964

2001 - 46,162

In a stadium with a capacity of 75,000

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

OCS will help fix a lot. Especially wake up the mummies. Go Bullls!

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

15 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

I don't really get the OCS lust, particularly given our situation and the current state of college football.  But then I understand everyone has their own priorities.  After years of pouring time, work and money into supporting the program this is where I drew my personal line in the sand.  If they truly find a way to integrate it into the campus and the community at large as a multi-purpose facility I guess it will be OK.  If folks are looking at this as the magic bullet for success, I think they will be sorely disappointed.

Because the so called powers that be got rid of the one coach that actually brought in 50k fans to game. Replaced Leavitt’s with basically bums has destroyed all of what Leavitt’s built. So hopefully the OCS helps a new awakening. 

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

23 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

1983 - 44,555

1987 - 53,950

1989 - 51,653

1991 - 57,964

2001 - 46,162

For a school with 11,000 students, stadium is 10 miles away, and 9k of those 11k students are from central and South America who would rather watch soccer.  I lived there 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

33 minutes ago, Bull Awakening said:

OCS will help fix a lot. Especially wake up the mummies

Uh, the old movies I've watched say that is not a good thing.

the mummys ghost art GIF by hoppip

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

1983 - 44,555

1987 - 53,950

1989 - 51,653

1991 - 57,964

2001 - 46,162

Bullshirt's point was that top quality players will not go to small stadium at small school, Miami had the talent to win partially due to the draw of the pro stadium.