• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

After watching one half of Bohanon…

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I missed the coin toss... was buying some TV's for my parent's place during the rain delay. My thoughts...

If you win the coin toss and you KNOW how good BYU's offense is (especially based on what they brought back), you delay the inevitable and give your most dynamic player on the team (you remember the kid who is a preseason All American kick returner) an opportunity to be the first person to touch the ball for your team to start the season. A big play exudes confidence to rest of your team and puts that linger of doubt in the players for BYU that felt the Florida heat in 2019. However giving BYU the ball and they house it after one play - well, we were a two win team last year. What do you think is lingering in the current players' minds that were here last season? 'Here we go again.' Does anyone remember The Natural where the shrink is talking to the NY Knights and Roy Hobbs walks out of the team meeting... Hobbs was a winner.

Football is high stakes chess for the intelligent. That's why you see so many unathletic ESPN commentators stationed next to a former player that barely speaks audible, proper English. It starts with an intelligent coach. Is Scott that guy? So far he's suspect - however he is very well paid. When we beat UF in two weeks, I'll feel better about him. Just my two cents... 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  581
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

So there coach came prepared with scripted plays that he knew would work and our coach came prepared for a HB dive. The team looked lost and unprepared in year 3 with this huge offseason. The local community is trying to buy in and support USF , and the coaching staff is ruining that momentum. At what point does the hot seat get turned up to full heat? There is nothing I have seen from CJS with results on the field that give me any reasons to support him.  FCS wins do not mean anything to me. Blowing them out will not show any progress. Do you actually think CJS can coach this team up ? If so what has he shown you that he can do that ? 

No — their coach didn’t come with “plays that work” — who can predict that?  They came with the mindset of stretching the field and found success.  We came with the mindset of running off-tackle and struggled against their 330 lb DL.  Was it the right call?  Hindsight is 20/20 but it’s not what I would have done.

You want to fire him and keep auditioning coaches every three years?  You don’t think he feels the pressure?  He’s not the one dropping passes and missing blocks.  However, he’s also not avoiding the media and passing blame.  We, the fans, are doing that.

Is he the correct head coach long term?  Not sure — but let’s see where we are at the end of the season.

Just like everyone else on this forum, you are entitled to your opinion.  We all see things differently, but we all want the best for the coaches, the team, the players and the university and to that I’m unapologetic.

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,621
  • Days Won:  25

5 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

I missed the coin toss... was buying some TV's for my parent's place during the rain delay. My thoughts...

If you win the coin toss and you KNOW how good BYU's offense is (especially based on what they brought back), you delay the inevitable and give your most dynamic player on the team (you remember the kid who is a preseason All American kick returner) an opportunity to be the first person to touch the ball for your team to start the season. A big play exudes confidence to rest of your team and puts that linger of doubt in the players for BYU that felt the Florida heat in 2019. However giving BYU the ball and they house it after one play - well, we were a two win team last year. What do you think is lingering in the current players' minds that were here last season? 'Here we go again.' Does anyone remember The Natural where the shrink is talking to the NY Knights and Roy Hobbs walks out of the team meeting... Hobbs was a winner.

Football is high stakes chess for the intelligent. That's why you see so many unathletic ESPN commentators stationed next to a former player that barely speaks audible, proper English. It starts with an intelligent coach. Is Scott that guy? So far he's suspect - however he is very well paid. When we beat UF in two weeks, I'll feel better about him. Just my two cents... 

This will be a miracle! Hopefully the players and coaches make a lot of progress in a few weeks.

Just now, LrdNorman said:

No — their coach didn’t come with “plays that work” — who can predict that?  They came with the mindset of stretching the field and found success.  We came with the mindset of running off-tackle and struggled against their 330 lb DL.  Was it the right call?  Hindsight is 20/20 but it’s not what I would have done.

You want to fire him and keep auditioning coaches every three years?  You don’t think he feels the pressure?  He’s not the one dropping passes and missing blocks.  However, he’s also not avoiding the media and passing blame.  We, the fans, are doing that.

Is he the correct head coach long term?  Not sure — but let’s see where we are at the end of the season.

Just like everyone else on this forum, you are entitled to your opinion.  We all see things differently, but we all want the best for the coaches, the team, the players and the university and to that I’m unapologetic.

I am not sure he feels any pressure because he got an extension based on one FBS win in two seasons.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

That was entirely the fault of Xavier Weaver, who didn't even bother to block the guy ... he was confused on that play, and looking at the defensive back field.  Even if Weaver attempted to block and didn't completely stop him.. the INT doesn't happen, it might not have been a completion or even gained yards, but the possession would have continued. 

The pix six was 0% the fault of Bohannon.  You can see here as he's preparing to throw.

Jim, I see what you're saying there but, looking at your pic, I'm even more convinced at how bad a throw that was. Don't know if the ball slipped or what but it had no zip at all on it and your pic illustrates the db wouldn't have gotten there in time to pick it off if it had. The play would still have been blowed up because of the missed block but probably not for a pick 6.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Jim, I see what you're saying there but, looking at your pic, I'm even more convinced at how bad a throw that was. Don't know if the ball slipped or what but it had no zip at all on it and your pic illustrates the db wouldn't have gotten there in time to pick it off if it had. The play would still have been blowed up because of the missed block but probably not for a pick 6.

Well, the point isn't "If Weaver only did his blocked it would have gone to the house."  The point is, it was an interception (and hence pick-6) because he missed his block.  It would have either been incomplete (it was actually a bit high for Battie) or tackled for anywhere from a short loss to a short gain.

The fact it was intercepted had nothing to do with the QB.

• Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,719
  • Days Won:  109

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

I am not a football guy. Didn't even play high school ball. But when GB looked right I told myself Don't throw it. He did and I started wondering how early we'd be out of there.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

17 hours ago, 10yrbull said:

His pick six was horrible. Reminded me of previous qbs. 

It was the WR's fault totally.  Go back and watch the replay.  Bohanon is expecting his WR's to block.  It's called teamwork.  Zero percent on Bohanon.  The WR's were supposed to be blocking the guy that had the INT.  The WR's did absolutely nothing and just stood there and let him walk right by.  The guy made a great play, when Bohanon released the ball he was 8-10 yards away from receiver.  He broke hard and picked it off.  Great play and no blocking by WR's.  Learn about how screen passes are supposed to work.  The DB's are supposed to be blocked.

Edited by BullsFanInTX

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

4 hours ago, Bull Awakening said:

Great points. I think that first quarter was a huge fluke of things going wrong. Good news is mostly everything I watched can easily be corrected. Howard is a big opportunity for USF to show corrections and confidence moving forward.

FCS team is not an "opportunity".  It is now a requirement to show a nearly perfect game plan and execution; fail to do that and you're not winning enough ppl back to the stadium for conference play.

4 hours ago, Bull Awakening said:

Let’s reserve some judgment until we lose again. So many things  are correctable. USF gave our QB time to pass which has not been seen in a while. I’m not too impressed with BYU. We shall see how they do as well. So early in the season 

I saw a lot in that first game worth judging.  Yes it is only one game, and to be fair in USFs history (even in the good ole days) we had stinkers....but there was a lot of hype and expectations for improvement coming in.  When you say you're "all in" and just do 'run run (short) pass' you have duped the fans.

As for BYU not impressive....they had pretty much the best 1st quarter possible, and completely shut down our team until the end of the 2nd quarter.  And in the 2nd quarter, they contained us to one offensive score.  Count me as very impressed. 

3 hours ago, LrdNorman said:

Thank you for the “Bless your heart” — I’ll take it as a complement and not a snide remark.

Not intended to belittle, the team needs as many ppl positive as possible right now; but given that it's the internet I was expecting ppl to go to town on that comment after the on field results.  I legitimately cannot feel positive and wish I could.  Only seeing a completely different gameplan with different on the field results will make me feel better.  If that happens over the next few games then great.  But based on what I've seen so far I don't have confidence on it happening.

Edited by Ghostbuster

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

11 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I am not a football guy. Didn't even play high school ball. But when GB looked right I told myself Don't throw it. He did and I started wondering how early we'd be out of there.

Doesn't matter where GB is looking on the play.  It's a one man route bubble screen.  He has to look there.  The WR's are supposed to be blocking the defenders and they weren't.  It's that simple.  There was absolutely nothing wrong with the throw, play call, or concept.  The WR's simply whiffed on the guy and allowed him to pick it off.  There's no way to know as a QB, that your guys simply won't block on a play.

Edited by BullsFanInTX
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,719
  • Days Won:  109

1 minute ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Doesn't matter where GB is looking on the play.  It's a one man route bubble screen.  He has to look there.  The WR's are supposed to be blocking the defenders and they weren't.  It's that simple.

So no chance to tuck it and take a sack or run?