• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

October 27, 2018

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  120
  • Days Won:  1

Charlie Strong destroyed everything that Willie Taggart built in a little over a season. Also, he totally wasted what could have been a really good 2 years with Blake Barnett.  I think Barnett could have been pretty good for us with the right coaching.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

1 hour ago, bulloni said:

In hindsight, the 1st quarter of Charlie's first game (San Jose State 2017) it was clear he was moving us backwards.

Never really understood this observation. It was the first quarter with an entirely new offense, that was pretty effective the the rest of that game and season. I know everybody loves to hate on Chuck and deservedly so for most of his tenure and how he left us but that first year, we were closer to a conference title than we'd ever been and there's not much more he could have done.

33 minutes ago, Rob-Bull said:

Charlie Strong destroyed everything that Willie Taggart built in a little over a season.

CCS was 16-2 over his first year and a half. The destroying came from that point on ......... and this semi-defending of Chuck is making my skin crawl but reality needs to be served.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

There's really no defending Chuck.  He was an abject failure.  He rode the talent that was there, much like Skip did.

Scott is the second hire to come into the program without above average talent left behind for him.

Still, yes, it's been only since 2018, but 2018 did not require a rebuild, 2020+ did.

• Upvote 3

• Content Count:  120

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

CCS was 16-2 over his first year and a half. The destroying came from that point on

You are talking semantics. I said a little over a season and you are saying a season and a half. Bottom line is he destroyed the program and it didn't just happen at the halfway point of year 2. The destruction started before that point it was just masked by unspectacular wins over mediocre teams.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

3 minutes ago, Rob-Bull said:

You are talking semantics. I said a little over a season and you are saying a season and a half. Bottom line is he destroyed the program and it didn't just happen at the halfway point of year 2. The destruction started before that point it was just masked by unspectacular wins over mediocre teams.

Yeah, it wasn't just the 7-0 start in 2018 that we we're winning ugly. That 2017 10-2 team was pretty shaky.

-fell down 16-0 to San Jose State

-tied with Stony Broke in the 4th quarter

-a bad Tulsa had the ball on our side of the field with a minute left in a 1 score game

-had to get a few first downs to close out Tulane in a 1 score game

USF underperformed every year Charlie Strong was here. Even in 2017, that team was just loaded with talent so underperforming was 10-2

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,258

The 10-2 record for 2017 and the 7-0 start was deceitful. With all the talent on the 2017 team especially on the offense we should have gone undefeated but we barely were getting by teams we should have beaten by 20+. I remember Flowers always looked frustrated with the coaches as Strong tried to slow the offense to a crawl while Flowers wanted to keep the fast tempo. In 2018 we barely beat a UCONN team that went 1-11 and was beaten by double digits by everyone except rhode island (whom they beat) and us whom we beat by 8 and surrendered the 2nd most points to on teams that they lost to. Same for the East Carolina game where we we tied until early in the 4th quarter when Cronkrite ran for a 80 yard td to finally break us out of the tie and win the game so yeah they were winning but most of those wins could very easily have turned into losses.

• Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, bulloni said:

In hindsight, the 1st quarter of Charlie's first game (San Jose State 2017) it was clear he was moving us backwards.

Agreed. I can remember watching that game and it just felt off. The vibe was definitely sour. 

6 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

Just 3 years and 9 months ago USF was viewed as one of the top 25 programs in the country. Going into the game against Houston on October 27, 2018, USF was 7-0 and ranked #21 in the country. The two previous seasons we finished the year ranked #19 and #21 respectively. We are just one recruiting cycle removed from being considered amongst the BEST teams in the nation. The past 3.5 years have been painful, but it wasn't that long ago that we were respected.  Keep everything in perspective. The path back to our place in the top 25 starts with BYU! 

Back on topic ..... This was an awesome post. I cringe, as a fan, when I read stuff about someone "destroying" the program. That's ridiculously hyperbolic and anyone that knows college football knows it can be cyclical. You don't get a "destroyed" program back to a bowl in just three years, ranked in four. CWT was good but not a ******* miracle worker. I don't know if CJS can pull a Willie ("that's what she said"), but hope to hell he can ....... but if he's not, I just think there's enough here currently that someone can come in and get it back on the winning track, no matter what conference we're in ....

DISCLAIMER: If anyone follows this up with more redundant off topic bs on CJS, I'm banning your ass.

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,651
  • Days Won:  29

Ban Brighton GIF by Stick Up Music