• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Woolard working on new deal for CJL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880
  • Days Won:  0

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBBQ3YPBGE.html

USF Working On New Deal For Leavitt

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Nov 22, 2005

TAMPA -- With University of South Florida coach Jim Leavitt emerging as the top candidate to replace Bill Snyder at Kansas State, USF athletic director Doug Woolard is doing his best to keep Leavitt at USF "for a long time."

Woolard is working on a new deal for Leavitt but wouldn't disclose the financial package or length of the contract.

"Jim's done an outstanding job," Woolard said. "We're trying to work on a scenario to have Jim here for a long time if he wants to be. He's started a legacy here, starting a program and taking it as far as he has.

"We want to put something together that is very advantageous for him."

Leavitt's current contract runs through 2009. His salary this season of $542,000 ranks as the fourth-lowest among the 66 BCS coaches, according to an athletic directors survey obtained by The Tampa Tribune. By comparison, Snyder made $1.5 million this past season.

Woolard had no timetable when he wanted to present Leavitt with the contract extension. USF visits Connecticut on Saturday and hosts No. 12 West Virginia on Dec. 3.

"I know how focused Jim is [on the upcoming games]," Woolard said. "I would rather get together sooner than later. I think it's in everyone's best interests."

Woolard said he had not been contacted by Kansas State officials for permission to speak with Leavitt. K-State athletic director Tim Weiser said Monday he has not contacted any candidates and would not comment whether Leavitt, or anyone else, was a candidate.

"We want to have someone as soon as possible, but our interest is in finding the right person," Weiser said. "If so, that could take a while. This is not about salvaging a recruiting class [by making a quick decision], it's about planting a tree that will be here a long time."

Weiser said the hiring is his responsibility, but he would take input from Snyder and Kansas State president Jon Wefald and others before making a decision.

Citing "multiple sources," CBSSportsline.com's Dennis Dodd, who is based out of Kansas City, Mo., reported Leavitt has emerged "as the favorite" to replace Snyder.

Leavitt would not comment Monday on his interest in the Kansas State position but talked fondly about Snyder, his former boss whom Leavitt worked for from 1990 to 1995 before coming to USF.

"Bill had a lot of influence, he and I are very close," Leavitt said. "Bill is a great man. I was fortunate to be able to coach on his staff. We pattern our programs pretty similar. Nobody can ever replace that guy. He's the real deal."

The Manhattan (Kan.) Mercury reported Kansas State offensive coordinator Del Miller and offensive line coach Dana Dimel will apply for the job. Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables and TCU coach Gary Patterson reportedly also are potential candidates.

"This is the nature of the business [for others to pursue Leavitt] and it's a credit to the program," Woolard said. "When people are successful, others will be interested. No one can question the amount of success he's had here."

Maybe now some of the KSU "insiders" will stay off of the boards.  Back to the foothills of Manhattan.  Glad to see that Woolard is willing to start to get things more in line for our coaching staff.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

he is here to stay

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

at least we have made some press stating our own interest--- that's a positive step that shows we aren't sitting on our hands, although I never really thought we would be in the first place.

it's good to have it out there to calm down some of our newer fans who missed the previous coach leaving scares by Indiana and Alabama.

Woolard is asolid AD-- a professional who understands what it takes to develop and retain a solid department. As long as we can find the money, coach will get a deal that is appropriate for this juncture. And I doubt it will be the last deal if we happen to start getting some BCS bowl type money. He's earned it-- there is no denying it.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

How's this... we'll give them Leavitt only if they take PJ in a package deal... then we'll promote Kravitz to head coach and bring in S Bien as the recruiting coordinator... I'll request to become the new cheerleading coach and we'll only have cheerleaders that work at Mons or one of our other fine establishments in town (sorta like the movie Replacements).

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

Woolard is a quality AD, so you'd expect to see an article like this.

If USF can keep leavitt the school will.  I just hope leavitt upgrades the offensive staff a little bit.  Although, the new QB coach does seem to have salvaged PJ a little bit.  Definite improvement from last year, even if he does still have light years to go.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Got Airport ? Talk to recruits coming to KSU . . .  ::) There is a reason they are back to an average program.

Back to Woolard. MikeG sums it up perfectly. When I saw this article, my first thought was the great move by our AD.

Now let's get to the football OOC schedule  ;D

DANG !!!

FRONT PAGE  !

Above the Fold !

Thanx Trib Editor !

As long as we can find the money, ...

BULL Fans dictate how much money the school has.

Go BULLS !!!

ET with three posts in a row on the same thread.  All within 8 minutes of each other.  Good posts -- but that must be how one gets to 17,000+ posts.

;-)

Just making it easier ... took one off so you can catch up  ;)

Just received the paper in my office and saw the placement ...

:o

Just realized that with your statement, I had to reply again which keeps my totals the same.

Thanx  ;)