• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Woolard working on new deal for CJL

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

From the St Pete Times:

USF plans long-term offer to Leavitt

The school wants to retain its only football coach, a possible successor to his former boss.

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published November 22, 2005

TAMPA - With USF's football team two wins from a Big East championship, athletic director Doug Woolard said he's committed to offering coach Jim Leavitt a new contract as early as next month to keep him with the program he has built over the past decade.

"Absolutely," Woolard said Monday afternoon. "We're working on a scenario that will give him an opportunity to stay here for a long time. He's got a chance to build a legacy here like few if any coaches have in college football."

The Bulls face increasing pressure to keep the only football coach they've had. Leavitt, 48, has been widely reported as a leading candidate to replace his mentor, Bill Snyder, at Kansas State. Leavitt coached under Snyder for six seasons before coming to USF in 1995.

Leavitt is under contract with USF until 2009 and is about to finish the third year of a seven-year, $4.3-million contract signed in October 2003. He would make considerably more at Kansas State, where Snyder, who announced his retirement Nov. 15, was paid $1.5-million this season.

Woolard said Monday he had not been contacted by the Big 12 school about speaking with Leavitt, a standard courtesy in coaching searches. Leavitt's agent, Neil Cornrich, did not return a message seeking comment.

Leavitt interviewed for the head-coaching job at Indiana of the Big Ten after the 2001 season, and with Alabama of the Southeastern Conference in December 2002. He stayed with the Bulls, whom he nursed through their Division I-AA, I-A independent and Conference USA years, but gained more leverage for the extension he signed in 2003, which more than doubled his base salary for this season.

Two members of Snyder's staff, offensive coordinator Del Miller and graduate assistant Dana Dimel, told the Manhattan Mercury they plan to apply for the vacancy. Dimel, head coach at Houston and Wyoming, is a close friend and former colleague of Leavitt's.

Woolard has a policy of not negotiating extensions while sports are in season, but he said he would visit a new deal for Leavitt after the regular season ends. In the past year, he has shown a commitment to keeping successful coaches. Softball coach Ken Eriksen and women's basketball coach Jose Fernandez were linked to vacancies at other schools, and Woolard signed both to new five-year deals through 2010, with a 20 percent raise for Eriksen and a 50 percent bump for Fernandez.

When asked about the opportunity to succeed Snyder at Kansas State, Leavitt reiterated that he wasn't thinking about anything except his team's next opponent.

"We're focused on Connecticut," he said. "That's all that's really important right now."

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/11/22/Sports/USF_plans_long_term_o.shtml

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528
  • Days Won:  0

I like everything Woolard is saying. He sounds realistic in knowing that we need to pay CJL if we want him to stay.

I like what Sheriff posted more. Terry, I expect to hear about you turning in your resume for the cheerleading coach position this week.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Terry, I expect to hear about you turning in your resume for the cheerleading coach position this week.

I can just see all of the sexual harrassment claims coming.   ;)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

I can just see all of the sexual harrassment claims coming.   ;)

smazza will defend him  8)

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

How about this...I think Woolard deserves a raise. But not until we get that fancy new soccer stadium.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Having your coach and program mentioned when jobs come open is good press for our program and will be even more positive when he announces that he's here for the foreseeable future.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

heres one from todays oracle

Leavitt top candidate at Kansas State; Woolard says working on deal to keep coach at USF

by Mike Camunas

November 22, 2005

With the departure of Kansas State coach Bill Snyder, Jim Leavitt has emerged as the top candidate to replace the man many call Leavitt’s mentor.

Snyder announced his retirement last week, just days for before his final game Saturday against Missouri, in which Snyder led the Wildcats to a 36-28 victory.

According to Kansas State sources, its focus has been moved to Leavitt because of his head coaching experience with USF and his time spent as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach under Snyder from 1990-1995.

Other candidates to replace Snyder include Oklahoma co-defensive coordinator Brent Venables and TCU coach Gary Patterson, but with Leavitt making only $542,000 this season on a contract running through 2009 and a buyout of his contract that is only $50,000, he might see a pay raise, especially with the Bulls becoming bowl eligible for the second time in school history with Saturday’s 31-16 over Cincinnati.

Athletic Director Doug Woolard said Monday he is working hard to keep Leavitt at USF.

“We’re working on a scenario that will allow coach Leavitt an opportunity to coach here and be here if he wants to be,†Woolard said.

Woolard went on to say he feels Leavitt, who is 61-36 at USF, has the desire to stay in Tampa.

“Ever since I’ve come here,†said Woolard, who is in his second year as athletic director, “anytime you are around him or hear him, he’s very specific (about staying at USF). This is home. This is where his parents live; he loves this area, and more importantly, he has a chance not only to build a legacy, but how many coaches get the chance to start a program and then have it have a chance to advance into a BCS conference, and that’s what has happened here.

“I mean, how many other coaches get that chance?â€Â

When Snyder made his announcement last week, Leavitt’s name automatically popped up on Kansas State’s radar, but only recently has he been considered the top candidate.

When asked to specify his interest in the job opening, Leavitt diverted attention from himself, as he usually does, to this week’s upcoming game in Storrs, Conn.

“I just want to focus on Connecticut,†Leavitt said. “That’s what’s important.â€Â

Woolard said he “didn’t know†what it would take to keep Leavitt at USF financially, but also stated he wasn’t surprised by the interest Leavitt has drawn.

“When people are successful at what they do, its not atypical that they will draw interest,†Woolard said. “And what I think it does is say a lot of positive things about your program.

“What I do know is that he does a good job, and I feel he’ll continue to do that if he continues to be the coach of our program.â€Â

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

How about this...I think Woolard deserves a raise. But not until we get that fancy new soccer stadium.

My criteria for Woolard to get a raise:

Get's CJL a new deal.

Pulls off the $50 million in facilites improvements.

Increases average attendence by about 5-10% annually.

If he gets these done he definately deserves a raise

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

This is GREAT news, least the school isn't pulling a Utah and ignoring the fact that their coach might be a top candidate this offseason to go elsewhere.