• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WBB Tourney Talk

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,827
  • Days Won:  22

This team wasn’t the same after December. The outside shooting disappeared or wasn’t consistent. Definitely under performed.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

23 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

This team wasn’t the same after December. The outside shooting disappeared or wasn’t consistent. Definitely under performed.

did they really under perform? the talent didnt seem there to compete with elite of the sport.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,691
  • Days Won:  108

3 minutes ago, smazza said:

did they really under perform? the talent didnt seem there to compete with elite of the sport.

I believe they did. This is the same group of players that beat Oregon, Stanford and lost to UConn by single digits.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smazza said:

Disagree. This team returned everyone from year before where they won AAC and one tournament game. They added a big center from Memphis who averaged double digit rebounds. So on paper this team was stronger than last year. Then they played top teams like Tennessee and UConn close losing by 5 points or less and beat ranked teams Oregon and Stanford early in season, then after that they weren’t the same.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Days Won:  1

We seemed to be playing our best basketball in the Bahamas and then after that trip we were never the same. 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  222
  • Days Won:  0

While I’ll never complain about a 24-win season, it does seem like this team had a drop off, and could have accomplished more. My theory is that they tried to do too much in out-of-conference play, but who knows?  I thought I remember hearing something about Sydni getting hurt.  That’s only one player, though.  

One thing that I am frustrated about is our lack of local recruiting.  The conference player of the year, Diamond Battles, played her high school ball at Winter Haven High School, 49 miles away from the Yuengling Center.  Another UCF starter (Tay Sanders) played her high school ball at Bartow High, 44 miles away. I understand CJFs recruiting strategy of getting 5 stars from overseas with international experience.  For all I know, we may be recruiting locally and just not getting kids signed. However, I’m watching UCF on National TV, and our girls have cleaned our their lockers, so I think that their is merit in local recruiting.

Recruiting local helps build up the fan base also. I’ve seen more and more UCF fans at our games against them as they have improved their program over the past few years.  In contrast, I doubt that we’re getting many season ticket holders from Portugal, Croatia, or Cameroon.  

As previously mentioned by others, the team is losing some key players, so it will be interesting to see what CJF puts together. 

Going to enjoy Baseball and Softball now, and will look forward to another great season of WBB next year.

Go Bulls 

11 hours ago, St.PeteSlim89 said:

While I’ll never complain about a 24-win season, it does seem like this team had a drop off, and could have accomplished more. My theory is that they tried to do too much in out-of-conference play, but who knows?  I thought I remember hearing something about Sydni getting hurt.  That’s only one player, though.  

One thing that I am frustrated about is our lack of local recruiting.  The conference player of the year, Diamond Battles, played her high school ball at Winter Haven High School, 49 miles away from the Yuengling Center.  Another UCF starter (Tay Sanders) played her high school ball at Bartow High, 44 miles away. I understand CJFs recruiting strategy of getting 5 stars from overseas with international experience.  For all I know, we may be recruiting locally and just not getting kids signed. However, I’m watching UCF on National TV, and our girls have cleaned our their lockers, so I think that their is merit in local recruiting.

Recruiting local helps build up the fan base also. I’ve seen more and more UCF fans at our games against them as they have improved their program over the past few years.  In contrast, I doubt that we’re getting many season ticket holders from Portugal, Croatia, or Cameroon.  

As previously mentioned by others, the team is losing some key players, so it will be interesting to see what CJF puts together. 

Going to enjoy Baseball and Softball now, and will look forward to another great season of WBB next year.

Go Bulls 

Jose schedules tough OOC opponents to help build RPI (or whatever metric they use now) and get a decent seed in the tournament. Not a lot of highly ranked teams in our conference especially with UConn gone.  Had we not lost that game in Texas and 1 to Tulane and all 3 to UCF we'd have probably been a 4 to 6 seed.  

No post

Edited by Cubanbull

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  222
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Jose schedules tough OOC opponents to help build RPI (or whatever metric they use now) and get a decent seed in the tournament. Not a lot of highly ranked teams in our conference especially with UConn gone.  Had we not lost that game in Texas and 1 to Tulane and all 3 to UCF we'd have probably been a 4 to 6 seed.  

I know why CJF schedules a tough OOC; my point is that perhaps he was trying to play too many games against tough competition.  When was the loss to UT Arlington?  Five days after the Stanford win, which was 2 days after the Oregon win.  Did the ladies have enough time to recover after the big wins for the UT Arlington game? Based on the final score, I’d say not. As you pointed out earlier, that loss hurt us in seeding, and somewhat negated the earlier wins. 

I agree with you about conference competition. Don’t know if you were there, but at one of the pre-game talks, I asked CJF his thoughts on the new teams coming in the conference.  Don’t remember exactly what he said about the quality of the other teams, but I clearly remember him stating that he expected the new AAC to become a one-bid league.  What does that mean? He’ll have to continue to schedule a tough OOC.  I just hope that he doesn’t try to do too much in OOC, and cause the team to burnout early as a result.

I also realize that CJF has more experience than I do in coaching WBB, so I’ll defer to the expert…

Go Bulls

10 minutes ago, St.PeteSlim89 said:

I know why CJF schedules a tough OOC; my point is that perhaps he was trying to play too many games against tough competition.  When was the loss to UT Arlington?  Five days after the Stanford win, which was 2 days after the Oregon win.  Did the ladies have enough time to recover after the big wins for the UT Arlington game? Based on the final score, I’d say not. As you pointed out earlier, that loss hurt us in seeding, and somewhat negated the earlier wins. 

I agree with you about conference competition. Don’t know if you were there, but at one of the pre-game talks, I asked CJF his thoughts on the new teams coming in the conference.  Don’t remember exactly what he said about the quality of the other teams, but I clearly remember him stating that he expected the new AAC to become a one-bid league.  What does that mean? He’ll have to continue to schedule a tough OOC.  I just hope that he doesn’t try to do too much in OOC, and cause the team to burnout early as a result.

I also realize that CJF has more experience than I do in coaching WBB, so I’ll defer to the expert…

Go Bulls

Kind of a Catch-22.  If he doesn't schedule the toughest teams he's stuck in the 8 - 10 seeding range no matter how many wins we get.  IMO I don't think it was burnout.  Not sure what happened. Heard some rumors but since that's all they are no sense putting them out there. I think they just got into shooting slump and it just snowballed downhill.