• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brian Gregory "news"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

6 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

Let's do this:  Reverse the football and basketball records.  Change each teams losses into wins and their wins into losses.  Are we even having this conversation?  No.  Does this thread even exist?  No.

Hell yeah this thread would have existed. If MBB had gone 23-8 I would have started it myself saying how lucky we were having CBG back next year ....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

12 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Hell yeah this thread would have existed. If MBB had gone 23-8 I would have started it myself saying how lucky we were having CBG back next year ....

And if he goes 23-8 next year, I will be very happy and say glad I was wrong. And if football goes 10-2 I will praise Scott and still push for that OCS.

Edited by Cubanbull

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  1

17 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Meh... In the history of the world, rent has never been a better financial option than owning. That's why rich people own the property poor people rent.

You must not be in business.  LOTS of businesses choose to rent not own their property.  And numerous studies have shown that rich people got rich by owning businesses that allowed them to purchase, not rent, PERSONAL use real estate but that's not what you said.  Coming in second was inheriting money but that was usually from parents or grandparents that owned businesses.

Just look at the largest companies in America.  Now check their financials and you'll see just how much they own vs. rent.  It comes down to taxes and the allocation of capital.

Rent is 100% deductible, buildings are depreciated over 39 years.  Land can not be depreciated AT ALL.  The capital that is freed up by renting the real estate instead of owning the real estate can be deployed to other more profitable parts of the business generating higher overall returns.

Take banks for example, most don't own their branches, they lease them.  That frees up money to make more loans which are much more profitable over the long run resulting in making much more profits / money over time.

For crying out loud.  You people are arguing with me over building and financing a new stadium and you post comments like that?  Am I the only one on here that understands this stuff?

I'll tell you what.  Go build your stadium.  Make sure you personally contribute to it and buy season tickets (or else you are a hypocrite).  Play your games against Tulane, E Carolina, UT San Antonio and N Texas and have fun in the Almost A Conference.  Then when no one shows up to watch you can complain here all you want.  Maybe they used the wrong Bull for a mascot or the wrong shade of green on the stadium.  Or the 5th AD in 12 years shoulda, coulda, woulda done this, that or the other.  And by the way, Memphis is gone within 2 years (write it down) because they don't want to be in the AAC.  Enjoy adding Southwest Missouri State to your conference.  I"m sure that will move the needle on the attendance in your new stadium.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

14 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

You must not be in business.  LOTS of businesses choose to rent not own their property.  And numerous studies have shown that rich people got rich by owning businesses that allowed them to purchase, not rent, PERSONAL use real estate but that's not what you said.  Coming in second was inheriting money but that was usually from parents or grandparents that owned businesses.

Just look at the largest companies in America.  Now check their financials and you'll see just how much they own vs. rent.  It comes down to taxes and the allocation of capital.

Rent is 100% deductible, buildings are depreciated over 39 years.  Land can not be depreciated AT ALL.  The capital that is freed up by renting the real estate instead of owning the real estate can be deployed to other more profitable parts of the business generating higher overall returns.

Take banks for example, most don't own their branches, they lease them.  That frees up money to make more loans which are much more profitable over the long run resulting in making much more profits / money over time.

For crying out loud.  You people are arguing with me over building and financing a new stadium and you post comments like that?  Am I the only one on here that understands this stuff?

I'll tell you what.  Go build your stadium.  Make sure you personally contribute to it and buy season tickets (or else you are a hypocrite).  Play your games against Tulane, E Carolina, UT San Antonio and N Texas and have fun in the Almost A Conference.  Then when no one shows up to watch you can complain here all you want.  Maybe they used the wrong Bull for a mascot or the wrong shade of green on the stadium.  Or the 5th AD in 12 years shoulda, coulda, woulda done this, that or the other.  And by the way, Memphis is gone within 2 years (write it down) because they don't want to be in the AAC.  Enjoy adding Southwest Missouri State to your conference.  I"m sure that will move the needle on the attendance in your new stadium.

LOL. I’m starting to wonder if this guy is truly a Bulls fan. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

22 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

Comparing banks renting their locations to give them more money to make loans to a university's decision to where they play football makes me wonder if you understand this stuff ....

29 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

I'll tell you what.  Go build your stadium.  Make sure you personally contribute to it and buy season tickets (or else you are a hypocrite).  Play your games against Tulane, E Carolina, UT San Antonio and N Texas and have fun in the Almost A Conference.

It sounds like you're saying that if we build the stadium we're destined to stay in the AAC. If that's the case, you REALLY don't completely understand what's going on ....

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103

37 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Comparing banks renting their locations to give them more money to make loans to a university's decision to where they play football makes me wonder if you understand this stuff ....

It sounds like you're saying that if we build the stadium we're destined to stay in the AAC. If that's the case, you REALLY don't completely understand what's going on ....

Do you really think USF didn't get invited to the BIg 12 because they don't have a stadium on campus?  As someone else pointed out USF has the worst combined record in D1 football and basketball over the past year and I think they said the 2nd worst record in D1 over the past 2 years.  Nobody wants to be associated with that.  Not the Big 12, not the fans, not the alumni.  That's why they don't go to the B ball games and why attendance at F ball is falling.

If USF had a 1 or 2 loss season each year and a marque victory over a BIG opponent every other year over the past 5 years in F ball and a "decent" B ball team they would have been the 4th invite to the Big 12.  In fact, the opportunity for Big 12 teams to get to play in RayJay would probably be looked at as a positive.  I can personally tell you that I know lots of opposing players look forward to playing at RayJay when they come here.  It's a pro stadium and that's where they all want to go, pro.

And to the poster that questioned whether I'm really a fan.  Yes I am.  What I am not is an Alumni and I think that gives me more objectivity than most people.  I didn't go there and I didn't "drink the Kool Aid".  I grew up in sports, played at the collegiate level and played at the professional level.  My sports history has been a HUGE part of my business success but my two degrees play an even bigger part.  The sports history opens doors, the education closes deals.  I'm a numbers guy.  Data analytics and number crunching is easy for me.  Just blessed with that.  And I do know the difference between public and private financing and the part of my previous post that discussed banking and the part about building a stadium were addressing two different issues and were in different parts of my post.  I was addressing the comment the previous poster made about renting vs owning real estate and how the wealthy only own, not rent.  The banking example had nothing to do with stadium financing.  I was using it as an example for renting real estate vs owning real estate because everyone has been to a bank and can relate to it. But you already knew that.  You're just reaching (poorly I might add) at this point.

How about a show of hands here?

How many people that have posted on this topic have SEASON football or basketball tickets?

How many have BOTH?

IF you don't have season tickets did you go to at least half the football home games and half the basketball games?

If you have answered NO to every question so far (except the BOTH question) thank you for playing, you can leave now because how can you possibly be a "fan" if you don't support the team?

If you answered YES, what would you rather have?

A new stadium with the same old results

or

stay at RayJay and the team actually play better?

In the end here's the problem.  You have a fan base that has spent years inside RayJay.  Yes, the colors are wrong and yes the team "pays rent" but it's a nice place to play.  And has anyone actually seen the data for where the season tickets holders come from?  I"ve not seen the numbers but I've had someone who is in a position to know tell me.  You'll be asking a lot of people to drive farther, through more traffic to go all the way to campus.  From the numbers I've seen tossed around the on campus stadium will be much smaller.  It may look "fuller" but in the end, the real decision are made based on the hard numbers, the data analytics.  Not "does it look fuller".  And consider this, what is the number 1 things in all surveys that people like to do at football games (other than win)?  Tailgate.  I've heard the sports fields including on the south side of campus by Fowler are off limits because there would be too much damage to the surface and they have to be ready for other uses.  (I guess they've been to a few of our tailgates).  So where does everyone tailgate?  I"m not saying it can't be done it's just going to be difficult and I don't know that this is the time.

WInning is like a wave, it creates momentum.  Just like a surfer rides the momentum of a wave (I surf) USF can ride the momentum of turning the F ball and B ball programs around to build a new stadium (and then a new B ball facility if needed).  But I think the winning needs to come first.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  91

44 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

Do you really think USF didn't get invited to the BIg 12 because they don't have a stadium on campus?  As someone else pointed out USF has the worst combined record in D1 football and basketball over the past year and I think they said the 2nd worst record in D1 over the past 2 years.  Nobody wants to be associated with that.  Not the Big 12, not the fans, not the alumni.  That's why they don't go to the B ball games and why attendance at F ball is falling.

If USF had a 1 or 2 loss season each year and a marque victory over a BIG opponent every other year over the past 5 years in F ball and a "decent" B ball team they would have been the 4th invite to the Big 12.  In fact, the opportunity for Big 12 teams to get to play in RayJay would probably be looked at as a positive.  I can personally tell you that I know lots of opposing players look forward to playing at RayJay when they come here.  It's a pro stadium and that's where they all want to go, pro.

And to the poster that questioned whether I'm really a fan.  Yes I am.  What I am not is an Alumni and I think that gives me more objectivity than most people.  I didn't go there and I didn't "drink the Kool Aid".  I grew up in sports, played at the collegiate level and played at the professional level.  My sports history has been a HUGE part of my business success but my two degrees play an even bigger part.  The sports history opens doors, the education closes deals.  I'm a numbers guy.  Data analytics and number crunching is easy for me.  Just blessed with that.  And I do know the difference between public and private financing and the part of my previous post that discussed banking and the part about building a stadium were addressing two different issues and were in different parts of my post.  I was addressing the comment the previous poster made about renting vs owning real estate and how the wealthy only own, not rent.  The banking example had nothing to do with stadium financing.  I was using it as an example for renting real estate vs owning real estate because everyone has been to a bank and can relate to it. But you already knew that.  You're just reaching (poorly I might add) at this point.

How about a show of hands here?

How many people that have posted on this topic have SEASON football or basketball tickets?

How many have BOTH?

IF you don't have season tickets did you go to at least half the football home games and half the basketball games?

If you have answered NO to every question so far (except the BOTH question) thank you for playing, you can leave now because how can you possibly be a "fan" if you don't support the team?

If you answered YES, what would you rather have?

A new stadium with the same old results

or

stay at RayJay and the team actually play better?

In the end here's the problem.  You have a fan base that has spent years inside RayJay.  Yes, the colors are wrong and yes the team "pays rent" but it's a nice place to play.  And has anyone actually seen the data for where the season tickets holders come from?  I"ve not seen the numbers but I've had someone who is in a position to know tell me.  You'll be asking a lot of people to drive farther, through more traffic to go all the way to campus.  From the numbers I've seen tossed around the on campus stadium will be much smaller.  It may look "fuller" but in the end, the real decision are made based on the hard numbers, the data analytics.  Not "does it look fuller".  And consider this, what is the number 1 things in all surveys that people like to do at football games (other than win)?  Tailgate.  I've heard the sports fields including on the south side of campus by Fowler are off limits because there would be too much damage to the surface and they have to be ready for other uses.  (I guess they've been to a few of our tailgates).  So where does everyone tailgate?  I"m not saying it can't be done it's just going to be difficult and I don't know that this is the time.

WInning is like a wave, it creates momentum.  Just like a surfer rides the momentum of a wave (I surf) USF can ride the momentum of turning the F ball and B ball programs around to build a new stadium (and then a new B ball facility if needed).  But I think the winning needs to come first.

I agree mostly.  Football is ready to ride that wave you speak of.  This Year is Make or Break.  My gut feeling from what I see.  Yes totally on the upswing.

Basketball, well Facilities are pretty **** good imo.  Management and Coaching not so much to this point.  Work to do here!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

7 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

LOL. I’m starting to wonder if this guy is truly a Bulls fan. 

he is not but he makes sense in some of the things he writes

the basketball team is the worst in the country and sooo boring.

winning definitely would increase attendance

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  960

11 hours ago, BullShirt said:

"if you build it they will come" is nothing but a movie line.

Look man, I’ll lay this out for you quick and easy. UCF was playing off campus, struggling with attendance, apathy and on field performance (this was actually confirmed by a UCF fan on this board). We passed them by and got into the Big East, it rocked them to the core and from that point on, they sold out and spent huge amounts of money on facilities, OCS, marketing, and student engagement. The wins started to follow, attendance went up and media perception went up as well; but it all started with facilities and an OCS (which ours will be much better quality). Now it’s one example but it’s also an important example because they kind of mirror us in a lot of ways. So to be honest, you take take everything you have said and flush it down the toilet, because UCF single handedly destroys every argument you have used as to why building a stadium first won’t bring wins. Yes, there were good coaching hires, good recruiting, but the OCS helped them with that. Most of us that want the OCS see that it will help us in so many other ways that will help the university, students and football. Sports are a BUSINESS, the entertainment business; entertainment is successful through experiences and an OCS will greatly help with the college football experience. You clearly are ignoring that part. Why do you think car companies spend so much time, money and effort in the interior of cars? It’s called “driver experience”. It’s why you buy Cadillac, BMW and Lexus. The German 3 don’t actually build more reliable cars than others, that’s just branding, what they do is build a cars that give the driver a more luxurious experience. Yes, I know about these things because I am an engineer that develops heated and cooled seats, so I have to work the mechanical and studio aspects of seating and interiors. The OCS is part of selling a product, not real estate. Do you think “the swamp” would be as good if Florida played at Hard Rock, or if Georgia played at Mercedes Benz stadium, NO, they wouldn’t. So realize that the OCS means so much more than dollars and cents. Sorry, I was gonna make this quick and then I got lengthy with it, haha. 

Edited by michibull
  • Upvote 1