• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MBB starts tomorrow night with an exhibition

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It’s a final Bulls win 92 to 42

WTH happened?  We were up 52.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

12 minutes ago, Brad said:

WTH happened?  We were up 52.  

😂😂 a lousy 50 point win😂😂

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  109

13 minutes ago, Gat-Rat Bull said:

I'll start by saying I was thrilled to be back in the Dome for some in-person USF basketball and really look forward to attending many (if not all) home games this season. 

My favorite newcomer has to be Greene, followed by Patrick, Boggs, and McCreary. Overall, I think all the new players will be really fun to watch. It was nice to see a scrappy, fast paced style with good shooting.

One nice surprise for me was Boggs driving hard to the hole to try to get a dunk a few times. He got fouled and didn't get the flush, but he hit his free throws with confidence. Kid can shoot, but Patrick has such a smooth shot and could easily be our leading 3 point guy with Boggs a close second.

The defense and hustle by every USF player was relentless and determined, and the ball really moved around on offense well. Chemistry was definitely there.

My biggest takeaway was not from what I saw on the floor though. I sat behind our bench and witnessed a team that seemed like they have been together for 3 or 4 seasons. They genuinely seemed to enjoy being there together. At one point during a timeout near the end of the game Boggs and Murphy (who sat out tonight) were working on a handshake of some sort and laughing it up together. Like I said, the team seems to like each other and enjoyed playing together. Hope that just gets better as they play more real games.

Other notable items from an in-person perspective:

- Great to see Altron on the Sun Dome floor (a lot of great memories from his playing days with B.B.)

- Moss will be very good, very soon. Don't let his stat line fool you. Kid can flat out play the point position.

- The women's team showed up at some point and were having a good time cheering on the guys 

- The band chanting "Warm up the bus!" at the end for a solid 5 minutes cracked me up. Even though it was just an exhibition game against a NAIA opponent, the band and cheerleaders were in full game mode. Loved it! 

- Tchewa is a very large human being. We will need his size. I hope the coaches are working on his skills non-stop. 

- The team will need to play fast and hit threes to win, but I think they have it in them. Guess we'll soon see how they do against better teams.

- Murphy and Chaplain did not play, but I think they will both fit in very nicely with the new guys. 

- There is so much to like about this team. I wasn't sure what to expect but I am sold on what Gregory has cobbled together. 

Can't wait for the next game! 🤘

Pretty good analysis right there.

Know this wasn't a real test but:

I don't have all the names yet, but #1 seemed to hit the boards pretty well for a guy that didn't appear to be really tall.  A lot of guys got hands on passes.  Tchewa needs to work on his left hand if he's gonna go to his left more times than not around the basket. There was a short span in the 2nd half where the other team made it really difficult for us to get a defensive board. That was a bit concerning.  Looked up at one point and saw that we had 7 - 3 pointers.  That was like 3 games last year. Again, the competition and close outs weren't what we'll see later on but nice to see multiple players make some 3s.  Slightly disagree with Gat-Rat on Trey Moss. He's got the skills but thought he looked like a work in progress at times. First game so understandable. 

I don't see how this team is any worse than last year's team even with all the turnover in players.

• Go Bulls! 1

32 minutes ago, Gat-Rat Bull said:

I'll start by saying I was thrilled to be back in the Dome for some in-person USF basketball and really look forward to attending many (if not all) home games this season. 

My favorite newcomer has to be Greene, followed by Patrick, Boggs, and McCreary. Overall, I think all the new players will be really fun to watch. It was nice to see a scrappy, fast paced style with good shooting.

One nice surprise for me was Boggs driving hard to the hole to try to get a dunk a few times. He got fouled and didn't get the flush, but he hit his free throws with confidence. Kid can shoot, but Patrick has such a smooth shot and could easily be our leading 3 point guy with Boggs a close second.

The defense and hustle by every USF player was relentless and determined, and the ball really moved around on offense well. Chemistry was definitely there.

My biggest takeaway was not from what I saw on the floor though. I sat behind our bench and witnessed a team that seemed like they have been together for 3 or 4 seasons. They genuinely seemed to enjoy being there together. At one point during a timeout near the end of the game Boggs and Murphy (who sat out tonight) were working on a handshake of some sort and laughing it up together. Like I said, the team seems to like each other and enjoyed playing together. Hope that just gets better as they play more real games.

Other notable items from an in-person perspective:

- Great to see Altron on the Sun Dome floor (a lot of great memories from his playing days with B.B.)

- Moss will be very good, very soon. Don't let his stat line fool you. Kid can flat out play the point position.

- The women's team showed up at some point and were having a good time cheering on the guys 

- The band chanting "Warm up the bus!" at the end for a solid 5 minutes cracked me up. Even though it was just an exhibition game against a NAIA opponent, the band and cheerleaders were in full game mode. Loved it! 

- Tchewa is a very large human being. We will need his size. I hope the coaches are working on his skills non-stop. 

- The team will need to play fast and hit threes to win, but I think they have it in them. Guess we'll soon see how they do against better teams.

- Murphy and Chaplain did not play, but I think they will both fit in very nicely with the new guys. 

- There is so much to like about this team. I wasn't sure what to expect but I am sold on what Gregory has cobbled together. 

Can't wait for the next game! 🤘

Thank you! For the analysis! Much appreciated 🤘🤘🤘

13 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Pretty good analysis right there.

Know this wasn't a real test but:

I don't have all the names yet, but #1 seemed to hit the boards pretty well for a guy that didn't appear to be really tall.  A lot of guys got hands on passes.  Tchewa needs to work on his left hand if he's gonna go to his left more times than not around the basket. There was a short span in the 2nd half where the other team made it really difficult for us to get a defensive board. That was a bit concerning.  Looked up at one point and saw that we had 7 - 3 pointers.  That was like 3 games last year. Again, the competition and close outs weren't what we'll see later on but nice to see multiple players make some 3s.  Slightly disagree with Gat-Rat on Trey Moss. He's got the skills but thought he looked like a work in progress at times. First game so understandable. 

I don't see how this team is any worse than last year's team even with all the turnover in players.

Thanks for the update Cuz! 

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

Not a bad analysis, I had a slightly different take on some of the players.  First you could see the emphasis on the "D"  I know that was our calling card and it seems to be back, with most players doing pretty good for early in the season on the defensive end.  We have alot of players that seem to have the potential to be good 3 point shooters.  Boggs had a little trouble on "D"and got chewed out from CBG.  Boggs also loves to shoot.  He was better overall then my expectation.  Moss is a true point guard and seems to have a great feel for the game and nice poise for a freshman.  Greene is a really valuable player and can do a little bit of everything.  He was better then expected.  Tchewa is a huge man but doesn't seemed to have improved much over last year.  I was expecting more improvement.  Matos is a beast, he has good hands and really goes after the rebounds, he also has some nice touch down low and a couple of nice moves as well, he also passes well out of the post.  I had high expectation for him which he may have exceeded.  McCreary was a little rough at the begining but as the game went on he was getting more in the flow of the game he needs to get more rebounds and not shoot from the outside much, but he met expectations and is a nice addition.  DJ patrick had a couple of 3's  nice sub of the bench.  Smith was a little out of control and could gain some miutes of the bench as well.  Hines played okay might get some minutes just need to see how the rotation pans out.  Overall Matos and Greene were the most impressive.  Can't wait to see the other 3 who didn't play

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Love to hear how good they looked, especially since there was no Murphy and Chaplin. Think the ceiling of this team is dependent on Murphy improving his shooting and Murphy cutting down on his turnovers.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  109

Another observation. Was told that overall FT shooting should be improved this year but looks like it depends on who goes to the line.  Believe it was Moss and #4 that clanked all or most of theirs. #4 may have made one at the end and had 2 misses taken off the board for lane violations.  

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Days Won:  2

Anyone know why Corey Walker didn't play?

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

24 minutes ago, jg233 said:

Anyone know why Corey Walker didn't play?

It looked like he had a knee brace on.  Jamir and Caleb had a couple of slight dings but would have played if regular game