• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,733
  • Days Won:  425

5 hours ago, puc86 said:

For anyone thinking sport journalism is a thing and there is actually informed well vetted takes I present Bishop Sycamore as my retort. If ESPN can’t even be bothered to learn a team they are paying to broadcast isn’t an actual HS how much effort do you think any local yokel is actually putting into their takes? The difference between a typical internet poster and a sports journalist isn’t connections and legitimacy it’s that the internet poster cannot afford the pay cut necessary to be a professional sports reporter.

Sports journalism is a thing but ESPN is a lot closer to the typical internet poster than it ....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, Triple B said:

Sports journalism is a thing but ESPN is a lot closer to the typical internet poster than it ....

I paint with a broad brush, I am sure there are actual pockets of journalists in sports but they are few and far between. I know for a fact that people on our beat at least used to fish for stories on here and that the Times made the argument that since TSA released attendance that was news and since others they covered more didn’t have them released that was too hard to get. For $35k a year and some free snacks at the game you can’t really expect you are going to get the best, brightest and most trying and you certainly can’t expect people to actually respect them enough to have a conversation with them outside of a large group setting where all the information is public knowledge.

29 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I do not know how to be more clear having Louisville and TCU as well as the majority of the best components of the AAC is having a better conference as evidenced by the fact that in having the ability to pick from all of the teams they chose them and not what’s here. WVU and Louisville were world beaters in the past and haven’t been able to beat their own meat in their respective conferences but if they were in the AAC they would be dominating and we would each be bringing in several more million dollars a year. The value of a team and a conference has nothing to do with most recent wins and the only people that think otherwise are people easily swayed by the talking points of people that have no idea on how to value teams and conferences.

You can be more clear by just acknowledging (which I already have) that we're using different criteria for "better" when comparing the two conferences at the points in time we're talking about.....

27 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I paint with a broad brush, I am sure there are actual pockets of journalists in sports but they are few and far between. I know for a fact that people on our beat at least used to fish for stories on here and that the Times made the argument that since TSA released attendance that was news and since others they covered more didn’t have them released that was too hard to get. For $35k a year and some free snacks at the game you can’t really expect you are going to get the best, brightest and most trying and you certainly can’t expect people to actually respect them enough to have a conversation with them outside of a large group setting where all the information is public knowledge.

Why the hell wouldn't you check places like this for stories?

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Why the hell wouldn't you check places like this for stories?

Because people here think that if you write a story on it with your unidentified sources that is somehow more authoritative then reading their fellow posters that they dismiss as unknowing 

6 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Because people here think that if you write a story on it with your unidentified sources that is somehow more authoritative then reading their fellow posters that they dismiss as unknowing 

I probably should have said story ideas for follow up investigating rather than just "stories", knowing the path of least resistance you'd take.

26 minutes ago, Triple B said:

You can be more clear by just acknowledging (which I already have) that we're using different criteria for "better" when comparing the two conferences at the points in time we're talking about.....

I don’t think I’ve ever positioned on this thread or any other covering any expansion discussion that I think anything other than current wins is the least important of criteria for measuring the worth of a program and a conference, actually I’m being dishonest in an attempt to be amicable I actually think it plays no part in it at all. Alabama was garbage for a decade, Nebraska is garbage now and Ohio State can lose every game for 30 years and that would play zero part in their value. If results mattered at all the Pac10 would be the one worried about contraction but the B10 is because this isn’t a relegation league and that **** doesn’t matter outside of message boards who then inform sports aggregators of its importance to expansion and then everyone gets to be shocked again that it still doesn’t matter.

Edited by puc86

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I probably should have said story ideas for follow up investigating rather than just "stories", knowing the path of least resistance you'd take.

Follow up? That’s adorable 

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever positioned on this thread or any other covering any expansion discussion that I think current wins is the least important of criteria for measuring the worth of a program and a conference, actually I’m being dishonest in an attempt to be amicable I actually think it plays no part in it at all.

I made it perfectly clear 4 posts ago what I was basing mine on when assessing the conferences. You could have ended this at that point in time ......... which had as much of a chance of happening as you consciously deciding to stop breathing.

3 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Follow up? That’s adorable 

It is what the actual sports journalists do whether you want to recognize it or not ....