• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

15 hours ago, Triple B said:

Sorry, Mike, but that doesn't seem to jibe with the actual timeline. The first games were apparently set in 2003 while they were still in the MAC and we were getting ready for our first year in CUSA, per this article. CJL's awesome reaction:

"I'm focused on summer workouts, (the 2003 opener at) Alabama and Conference USA. I'll focus on UCF when the time comes," Leavitt said. "I live day to day. I hope I'm alive when we play them."

And I'm maybe a little fuzzy about this but didn't we go to them in the early days to schedule and they declined ...... which would explain some of Jim's warm and fuzzy about them?

You are right, it was the second 2 games of the series that was our C-USA exit payout buydown, not the first two. My apologies. My memory of us paying down our exit (as did all 5 departing schools) with games against C-USA opponents was correct, it just wasn't the first two games. 

Here is a quote from The Daily Stampede:

But of course, the game did get scheduled, not long after that in May 2003. Initially a two-game series, it was extended to four when Conference USA allowed USF to count the games towards their league exit requirements. To both parties, the UCF-USF rivalry was really just a by-product of self-interest.

WWW.THEDAILYSTAMPEDE.COM

More words about the I-4 rivalry than you could possibly stand.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  879
  • Days Won:  1

Guys, we aren't entitled to any conference membership. What have we done to earn anything, beat Syracuse in a bowl game? Syracuse? Won a regular season conference title in MBB while losing in the tournament and the NIT? For USF to expect any sort of conference invitation at this point is ridiculous. The dominos are still falling - and the biggest domino of all is USF continuing to build on recent success, and succeed even more. Beating a **** football school in a small bowl game is fun for us after the last ten years, but we need to beat a big football school in a big bowl game before we can start counting our chickens. Show up, support, buy season tickets, Go Bulls. 

Edited by USF_Bullsharks
  • Like 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

11 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

You are right, it was the second 2 games of the series that was our C-USA exit payout buydown, not the first two. My apologies. My memory of us paying down our exit (as did all 5 departing schools) with games against C-USA opponents was correct, it just wasn't the first two games. 

Here is a quote from The Daily Stampede:

But of course, the game did get scheduled, not long after that in May 2003. Initially a two-game series, it was extended to four when Conference USA allowed USF to count the games towards their league exit requirements. To both parties, the UCF-USF rivalry was really just a by-product of self-interest.

WWW.THEDAILYSTAMPEDE.COM

More words about the I-4 rivalry than you could possibly stand.

I was actually hoping you were right and wanted to believe he had to do it. Although looking at some old articles back then, it did appear we really didn't have an interest but then that changed ...... we do know it wasn't Jim's idea.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

In the famous words of a Key West legend Irish Kevin. “Who gives a sh$t!?” USF is moving on an will eventually be in a power conference. USF will be playing annual games against Miami imo.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,919
  • Days Won:  33

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I was actually hoping you were right and wanted to believe he had to do it. Although looking at some old articles back then, it did appear we really didn't have an interest but then that changed ...... we do know it wasn't Jim's idea.

They wanted to play us after our first couple of seasons.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

They wanted to play us after our first couple of seasons.

Did we ask them those first couple of seasons?

Edited by Triple B

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  692

17 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Guys, we aren't entitled to any conference membership. What have we done to earn anything, beat Syracuse in a bowl game? Syracuse? Won a regular season conference title in MBB while losing in the tournament and the NIT? For USF to expect any sort of conference invitation at this point is ridiculous. The dominos are still falling - and the biggest domino of all is USF continuing to build on recent success, and succeed even more. Beating a **** football school in a small bowl game is fun for us after the last ten years, but we need to beat a big football school in a big bowl game before we can start counting our chickens. Show up, support, buy season tickets, Go Bulls. 

Sir I don't believe that you've heard but we have achieved AAU status...so we're kind of a big deal. 

Conferences are obviously fighting over us behind the scenes lol. Let the chicken count begin. Cluck cluck...

• Haha 2
  • Crying 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  879

6 minutes ago, M50_BULL said:

Sir I don't believe that you've heard but we have achieved AAU status...so we're kind of a big deal. 

Conferences are obviously fighting over us behind the scenes lol. Let the chicken count begin. Cluck cluck...

Good point - competition is stiff with other FBS schools Buffalo, Rice and Tulane.  I retract my statement. 

• Haha 3

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,919
  • Days Won:  33

9 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Did we go them those first couple of seasons?

Did we what?

38 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

While the dominos are indeed still falling, I don't think that's the biggest one. Success there definitely won't hurt but the next G5 call up won't be like the last one, pre-SMU, where sustained success on the field was indeed the biggest domino. If there's expansion involving G5's in the eastern time zone, we should be at or near the top of the list ...... it's the other dominoes falling to create that expansion we have to worry about.

Edited by Triple B