• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

16 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

It looks like USF is a great position. They are just waiting on about 3 different power conferences to make their moves. 

We have them right where we want them!  We are right where they want us (Playing Tulsa + McNeese).

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

5 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

We have them right where we want them!  We are right where they want us (Playing Tulsa + McNeese).

Lol USF is going to be like that chick that still is available at the bar. They are just waiting for one of the power conferences to get punch drunk 

• Haha 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

Just now, Bull Matrix said:

Lol USF is going to be like that chick that still is available at the bar. They are just waiting for one of the power conferences to get punch drunk 

What time  frame are we talking happy hour, brunch, early evening, late night, or closing time?Amy Schumer Cheers GIF by I Feel Pretty

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  3,002
  • Days Won:  2

Just noticed the date on this.  

Edited by Cat941
Old info

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

33 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

image.gif.73589670b16812ba6382900ae5b76621.gif

9 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

I guess no news is good news lol 

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  818
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, Bull Matrix said:

I guess no news is good news lol 

Meeting was cancelled

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Given only money matters, can USF bring enough viewers to raise or maintain the ACC payout? 

That’s the only question that matters.

I don’t know how much “new” states makes a difference or not like it did 10 years ago. Today everything is streaming and cable packages are being dropped. You still want a big market obviously but it’s more about number of fans. Lots of schools with huge fan bases that aren’t themselves located in a big media market, just they have a lot of alumni and fans (most of the SEC). 

In that respect when looking for expansion candidates you have to give weight to the for sheer size of the student body as a proxy for how many new fans they can create each year through alumni.

Basketball… there is probably some small weight here.

Recruiting might also be a factor for football, but I’m honestly not sure the decision makers consider this at all.

Travel costs, this I think is a big one. Travel is a drag on athletic departments. Being close to Miami actually is a big saving here if Olympic sports can play USF and Miami in the same weekend. 

Academics don’t matter as long as the school is an accredited 4 year institution. 

Overall USF is a pretty solid expansion candidate for the ACC because of geographic location and student body. At 50k+ we have one of the largest student body populations of any non-P5 university. 

I think Stanford is a good example how despite location and academics, their student body and fanbase is just too small to be as valuable as the much larger USC and UCLA.

I think SMU has the risk of being too small to be a high growth expansion candidate. Do ‘new’ media markets still drive media rights values? I honestly don’t know, and does it matter if the fanbase is small or large? 

One thing is certain, as long as FSU and Miami are in the ACC, USF is not getting an invite. We’d have a better shot at the big 12 in the mean time (knowing SoFl - UCF would be ratings gold every year). 

16 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Given only money matters, can USF bring enough viewers to raise or maintain the ACC payout? 

That’s the only question that matters.

I don’t know how much “new” states makes a difference or not like it did 10 years ago. Today everything is streaming and cable packages are being dropped. You still want a big market obviously but it’s more about number of fans. Lots of schools with huge fan bases that aren’t themselves located in a big media market, just they have a lot of alumni and fans (most of the SEC). 

In that respect when looking for expansion candidates you have to give weight to the for sheer size of the student body as a proxy for how many new fans they can create each year through alumni.

Basketball… there is probably some small weight here.

Recruiting might also be a factor for football, but I’m honestly not sure the decision makers consider this at all.

Travel costs, this I think is a big one. Travel is a drag on athletic departments. Being close to Miami actually is a big saving here if Olympic sports can play USF and Miami in the same weekend. 

Academics don’t matter as long as the school is an accredited 4 year institution. 

Overall USF is a pretty solid expansion candidate for the ACC because of geographic location and student body. At 50k+ we have one of the largest student body populations of any non-P5 university. 

I think Stanford is a good example how despite location and academics, their student body and fanbase is just too small to be as valuable as the much larger USC and UCLA.

I think SMU has the risk of being too small to be a high growth expansion candidate. Do ‘new’ media markets still drive media rights values? I honestly don’t know, and does it matter if the fanbase is small or large? 

One thing is certain, as long as FSU and Miami are in the ACC, USF is not getting an invite. We’d have a better shot at the big 12 in the mean time (knowing SoFl - UCF would be ratings gold every year). 

Basically if FSU doesn’t leave the ACC than means they will end up staying the 3rd best conference. They may even steal some big 12 teams years down the road. It would mean that the big 12 may need to add eastern teams and they won’t be adding any teams from the power 3 conferences SEC, BigTen, or ACC. So yes I do believe USF is in a good position whenever the time comes