• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

3 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Good to see that ESPN and Fox gave them the go-ahead. All of this is tortious interference and they get away with it in the light of day. 

Goofy congressmen as goofy as regular people out there worrying about NIL...  Awaken one of the many governing bodies....  Wait, don't.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,921
  • Days Won:  33

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I guess I'm not clear on what "move the needle' means ........ I figure if they can move needles, they'd be snapped up already.

PAC needs to get their TV deal for that to happen

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

13 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

They are propping up the Big 12 right now in an effort to kill the PAC12. They don't really care about the Big 12. If they determine that a few of the teams in the Big 12 have value they will let that be known to their real partners (SEC and B1G) and they will poach those teams eventually. There is a reason why the Big 12 TV deal only runs through 2031.

While I agree the Pac12 is being killed off, I don't think the Big12's contract length says anything except that the Big12 isn't as dumb as the ACC to get locked into a forever contract that prevents them from getting a raise.

Honestly the Big12 gets to come out of this looking like the 3rd most stable conference because no one is trying to leave it (not overtly like FSU/Clemson; of course every school there wants in the eventual P2 of SEC/B1G)

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

1 minute ago, Ghostbuster said:

While I agree the Pac12 is being killed off, I don't think the Big12's contract length says anything except that the Big12 isn't as dumb as the ACC to get locked into a forever contract that prevents them from getting a raise.

Honestly the Big12 gets to come out of this looking like the 3rd most stable conference because no one is trying to leave it (not overtly like FSU/Clemson; of course every school there wants in the eventual P2 of SEC/B1G)

The Big 12 contract was made by ESPN and Fox. Those networks are colluding to monopolize the sport and to create the conferences that they want. Do you think it is happenstance that ESPN approached the ACC about renegotiating if changes were made to the conference? I can't prove it, but I would venture to guess that ESPN is trying to give their preferred members an out from an untenable GOR situation. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

4 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

The Big 12 is a useful placeholder for Fox and ESPN. It enabled them to take down the PAC. Once the Big 12 is no longer useful to them, they will raid it, take the properties they want, and leave the other teams holding the bag. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

34 minutes ago, Brad said:

NEWS!!!!

..."tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Season 3 Ugh GIF by Parks and Recreation

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

29 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

The Big 12 got really lucky. 

1. Instead of waiting a full year to go to the market, they let their new commissioner ask ESPN and Fox to simply extend the current contract.
  2. They did their deal right before all the streamers and their network owners decided to start pinching pennies.
  3. More than 1/3rd of the Big 12 games will be streamed.  At the time of extending the contract, ESPN was willing to spend a bit to get more subscribers.

Timing. Is. Everything.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

20 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

The Big 12 is a useful placeholder for Fox and ESPN. It enabled them to take down the PAC. Once the Big 12 is no longer useful to them, they will raid it, take the properties they want, and leave the other teams holding the bag. 

I agree the networks are behind this, but I disagree their plan is to

- Stabilize the Big12 and give them a raise

- Wait for Pac12 to get poached more

- Come back, potentially years later, and re-raid the conference they helped stabilize 

Networks could have easily told the Big12 to take a hike a la Pac12, but they didn't.  I think the Big12 contract was just setting the market for "mid-majors" or however you want to classify non-Power2.  And now the ACC has to worry about that being the ceiling for them instead of the SEC/B1G.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,143
  • Days Won:  39

5 minutes ago, Brad said:

Season 3 Ugh GIF by Parks and Recreation

But we got AAU :(

42 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Good to see that ESPN and Fox gave them the go-ahead. All of this is tortious interference and they get away with it in the light of day. 

Apparently this doesn't matter in CFB.

• Crying 1