• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

26 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

I might disagree about ACC teams not having value... I don't think UCLA is worth $100 million per year... in fact UCLA is probably not as big of a brand as Oregon was -- except for the last two letters in the acronym.  Hell, half of the current Big Ten members don't provide that level of value. Is Rutgers worth $100 million per year? Purdue? Maryland? Minnesota?

Think like Fox.  UNC and UVa are both currently ESPN properties in large states.  Fox might "overpay" for them in terms of their intrinsic value because it means the cable providers in those two states will pay more carriage fees for the Big Ten Network... it also diminishes the value of the ACC for ESPN.  So Virginia is clearly not a $100 million brand ... there may be other considerations that could make them an attractive candidate.

Of course, UNC and UVa (or Georgia Tech for that matter) only come in to play with Notre Dame... and there's technically no reason the Big Ten has to act now.  UNC and UVa aren't going anywhere.

It was my understanding that USC and UCLA helped to create the hundred million dollar standard. At some point the big 10 members are not going to vote to pay for schools who are essentially going to be creating diminishing returns to each university… regardless of name and regardless of location.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

24 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It was my understanding that USC and UCLA helped to create the hundred million dollar standard. At some point the big 10 members are not going to vote to pay for schools who are essentially going to be creating diminishing returns to each university… regardless of name and regardless of location.

The "returns" are determined by the media what the media partners are willing to pay... Yes, at some point there will be diminishing returns... but is that 18 teams? 24 teams? 32 teams?  The media likes to try and determine whether [INSERT SCHOOL HERE] adds value on its own... but no school is entirely on its own.  There are myriad factors that go into what Fox et al are willing to pay.

Edited by Jim Johnson

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

What we may see is USF being invited to ACC loses FSU. So we shall see. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

15 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Better chance the program folds.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

Agreed…or returns to FCS level 

0C826929-F024-46C0-B49B-9192267BA523.png

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  505
  • Days Won:  0

Where is everyone coming up with $100m per team for the Big Ten? They are around $50m now, I doubt it goes above $60m-$65m if that.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,241
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, Friscobull said:

They have handled the misfortune of the big east football dying way better than us. Being independent prevents them from being tied to anchors like rice, fau, Charlotte, utsa, Tulsa, Tulane etc. Usf is sinking their own program by association. We should be either independent or folded altogether 

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,588
  • Days Won:  3

19 minutes ago, DontPushMe said:

They have handled the misfortune of the big east football dying way better than us. Being independent prevents them from being tied to anchors like rice, fau, Charlotte, utsa, Tulsa, Tulane etc. Usf is sinking their own program by association. We should be either independent or folded altogether 

There it is. I was waiting for you to show up.  I admire your conviction.