• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, Bear said:

If USF wants to add an OCS... Now is the time to start talking

Otherwise, it may be too late later on... (2007 was our last great window)

In 2007 may have been a window but it was because our attendance was really good.  I am sure the school has number crunchers to conduct feasibility studies.  I got the sense back then that we had time to make that decision because things seem to improve yearly.

In 2016 we won a lot of games but our attendance was pretty poor.  It actually demonstrates a negative case for getting a stadium.  

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

28 minutes ago, MMW said:

In 2007 may have been a window but it was because our attendance was really good.  I am sure the school has number crunchers to conduct feasibility studies.  I got the sense back then that we had time to make that decision because things seem to improve yearly.

In 2016 we won a lot of games but our attendance was pretty poor.  It actually demonstrates a negative case for getting a stadium.  

Being stuck in the AAC will never allow us to have big crowds again.  The OCS died with the B12 failure.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, TallyBull said:

Our attendance looks worse than it actually is when compared to our peers because the stadium we play in was designed for a pirate-themed NFL football team and 60K+ fans.

If USF wants to ever play in front of exciting "sellout crowds" while still in the G5, the solution is to lower the number of seats in a smaller, expandable on campus stadium. We can always rent RJS if needed for larger games.

My point is that one important component       (at least) to solving the attendance issue is increasing demand by lowering the number of available seats, plus creating a USF-centric, CFB-friendly atmosphere at an OCS. 

Bingo!

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

4 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Keep this thread going boys, keep it going....

publix :D 

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

27 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Our attendance looks worse than it actually is when compared to our peers because the stadium we play in was designed for a pirate-themed NFL football team and 60K+ fans.

If USF wants to ever play in front of exciting "sellout crowds" while still in the G5, the solution is to lower the number of seats in a smaller, expandable on campus stadium. We can always rent RJS if needed for larger games.

My point is that one important component (among others) to solving the attendance issue is increasing demand by lowering the number of available seats, plus creating a USF-centric, CFB-friendly atmosphere at an OCS. 

Hasn't our announced average attendance been somewhat decent (for the AAC)?

I still want that 40k OCS; otherwise... RJS.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

23 minutes ago, Bear said:

Hasn't our announced average attendance been somewhat decent (for the AAC)?

I still want that 40k OCS; otherwise... RJS.

Yes, our attendance has been decent, but we're regularly criticized for our low (actual) attendance. Part of the problem is  demand; people don't go because they know they always can - turn on the TV and you see a half-empty stadium.

When the Bucs built a new stadium in the mid-1990s, they downsized from about 74K to 65K. Combined with a competitive team, the Bucs could suddenly tout regular sellouts and season ticket lists. Demand went up and stayed up until it became clear the product on the field was  deteriorating.

I agree with you. My point is that perception matters. We'd be more attractive to P5 conferences if we regularly sold 80% of available seats in a 40K stadium, than less than 50% in a 65K stadium. With increased demand comes improved gameday experiences and traditions. Plus a stadium that could grow with the fanbase over time.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

I wish they would build a 40-45k Stadium on campus with the ability to expand to 60-65k built in. The 40-45k would suit the current needs of the school and fan base while the expandable version would be available as need arises. Just getter done!!!! :GoBulls:

P.S. Please no Pirate Ships.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

I've heard USF is just waiting for the Ray to move out of the Trop so that they can buy it and convert it to a football stadium.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Another thing that may be working in our favor is that ESPN continues to hemorrhage money and subscribers. Paying all that money for the ACC, SEC, Big 12/10, and Pac 12 content is not sustainable. 

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-another-555-000-subscribers-per-nielsen-112916

I'd love to see Aresco get out in front of this trend and provide a direct-to-consumer option for AAC conference sporting events. Anything that helps us bridge the money gap is better than the status quo. By the way, have I mentioned we need more donors? :D 

• Upvote 1