• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

What the networks pay now for an AAC team.

$$

What the networks will pay for the same exact school in the big 12:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

What AAC team will get in big 12:

$$$$$$

What each big 12 member gets now

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

what big 12 member will get after adding AAC teams:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The only difference will be the matchups. 

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899

1 minute ago, Gismo said:

What the networks pay now for an AAC team

$$

What the networks will pay for the same exact school in the big 12:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The only difference will be the matchups. 

At the moment, sure, at least for ESPN. But if Fox has any intention of offering a new solo TV deal at the end of the current one, it would likely be important for them to have expanded into new markets, say a ... Florida market or two.

9 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

I get your point - the AAC isn't a P5 conference and there are many disadvantages to that - but I don't agree that the AAC is a "garbage conference [to] which no school ... wants to belong."  I for one would prefer the AAC over the conference that the Big XII will eventually become once UT and UO depart, but for the money and P5 status (assuming the Big XII can keep it).

While it may not be achievable, I'd rather keep the AAC intact and grow with it.  For that reason I could live with it if the Big XII gets paid by the networks to NOT expand through the remaining years of its TV deal.  It would rip UH and UC's hearts out  (would be fun to watch) and could give the AAC time to actually become a P6 conference, within which USF would be more competitive over the long run.

You'd rather get $$ in the AAC instead of $$$$$$$ in a P5?

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, TallyBull said:

I get your point - the AAC isn't a P5 conference and there are many disadvantages to that - but I don't agree that the AAC is a "garbage conference [to] which no school ... wants to belong."  I for one would prefer the AAC over the conference that the Big XII will eventually become once UT and UO depart, but for the money and P5 status (assuming the Big XII can keep it).

While it may not be achievable, I'd rather keep the AAC intact and grow with it.  For that reason I could live with it if the Big XII gets paid by the networks to NOT expand through the remaining years of its TV deal.  It would rip UH and UC's hearts out  (would be fun to watch) and could give the AAC time to actually become a P6 conference, within which USF would be more competitive over the long run.

This↑   What happens when Texas and Oklahoma leave? What happens if we get invited? Going to the Great American Conference and traveling to Provo UT, Boise ID, and some of the rest of the left-overs WITHOUT a new P5 contract?

There are only two scenarios that are good for USF. 1 - We get invited and kick major butt, so that when the Big 12 gets trashed we're invited to a P4 conference, OR 2 - The Big 12 does nothing until their contract runs out, we kick major butt and get invited to a P4 conference.

• Upvote 4

USF conference in 2030:

USF

UCF

Texas Tech

Baylor

iowa state

kansas state

Uconn

temple 

tulane

memphis

ECU

tulsa

navy

smu

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

14 minutes ago, Gismo said:

You'd rather get $$ in the AAC instead of $$$$$$$ in a P5?

No.  I said "but for" the additional money and P5 status, I'd prefer the AAC.  If we get an invite, we have to take it.  

But there's considerable risk that UT and OU will eventually leave, and when they do they're taking their $$$$$$$$$$$$ and possibly P5 status with them (recall what happened to the Big East).  

All things being equal, I'd rather be in the AAC with $$$ and no P5 status than in the far-flung reaches of the demoted Big XII conference, without UT or OU, with $$$ and no P5 status.

That's all I'm saying.  If we aren't invited, it could wind up being a blessing in disguise.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

13 minutes ago, Gismo said:

USF conference in 2030:

USF

UCF

Texas Tech

Baylor

iowa state

kansas state

Uconn

temple 

tulane

memphis

ECU

tulsa

navy

smu

If we have separate east/west divisions I'd be OK with merging with what remains of the Big XII.  We'd probably make somewhat more in TV revenue than we do now, but may or may not be in a "power" conference.  So there's good and bad to this arrangement.

Looking forward to a Big XII decision, one way or another, so we can focus on football again...

Edited by TallyBull

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

7 minutes ago, Gismo said:

USF conference in 2030:

It's VERY likely that by 2030 all of the conferences will be re-shuffled into 4 conferences of 16 teams.

This is a short-term solution.

I actually like our AAC division now. It's a  Competitive bunch of up and coming schools. The money gap sucks, the AAC schools only lack established fan bases. ECU, Cincy, USF, UCF all growing fan support, I think would do great with more money and strong schedules.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

ECU has had a great fan base for many years.