• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

17 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Seemed weird to me, too, but same info is in this SI article ....

The argument for adding four schools is simple. Four schools would mean approximately $800 million over the life of the Big 12’s television deal. Two teams would mean about $400 million. When faced with the option of taking more money or less, college presidents almost always take more.

I think the math on that is that the Big XII would get ~$25 mill per school from network (pro rata deal), so for two schools you're looking at ~$50 mill per year with 8 years left on the deal. Four schools added would be an additional ~$100 mill per year x the 8 years left on the deal.

There's nothing saying that money has to go straight to the new schools, the conference would disperse it as they saw fit I guess, so if the new schools took just a percentage, that's that much more money for the existing Big XII schools to split amongst themselves. 4 teams maximizes said money for those teams, though they may end up burning the bridge with Fox and ESPN in the process.

Edited by GoBulls84

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210

1 hour ago, jasonb56 said:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-prefers-to-decide-on-expansion-teams-before-start-of-2016-season/

So this thread has maybe 30 days left, as it looks like a conclusion is soon to come...

Bad news for USF. Bulls won't be able to showcase potentially outstanding season. 

Be prepared to get left behind yet again. Start coming to grips with that. 

Big East breakup part 2, only worse. Get ready to welcome Old Dominion and UMass to AAC. 

Edited by BullsFanInTX
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

5 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Bad news for USF. Bulls won't be able to showcase potentially outstanding season. 

Big East breakup part 2, only worse. Get ready to welcome Old Dominion and UMass to AAC. 

And this is bad news how? Other than not being able to showcase this season. A big reason that the Big 12 could possible expand to Florida is for recruiting. Have you not seen our recruits fly in these past few days?  USF is making a huge splash right now. The article at the video at the top of the page has a list of interested candidates. Interested, as in candidates that are publicly showing that they want in.  We've not begged, so we're not shown on that. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, jasonb56 said:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-prefers-to-decide-on-expansion-teams-before-start-of-2016-season/

So this thread has maybe 30 days left, as it looks like a conclusion is soon to come...

12 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Since you're putting that much stock into current on the field stuff, silver lining will be that UCF will be stuck here, too ....

I'm just telling you, be prepared to get your heart ripped out and stomped on within the next 30 days.  Again.  I hope I am wrong, but I probably won't be.  If you don't want to hear that, then fine, that's up to you. 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

If the numbers discussed in the SI article are remotely close to accurate, there is no way tv markets are not the major consideration. If that is the case, both FL schools will have to be in the group added. The money paid to the school has to come from somewhere. That means large and growing "new" tv markets for the Big 12 footprint. I don't see Houston adding any new revenue. 

Follow the (potential new tv households) money.  In that case I see it being FL schools, Cincy and Memphis (with Memphis added because Fedex pledging big sonsorship buck)  

I don't see any other scenario that generates the financial stability to make a real impact on the conference  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Since you're putting that much stock into current on the field stuff, silver lining will be that UCF will be stuck here, too ....

Yes, I put a lot of stock into on field performance.  Houston is coming off a 13-1 season and is getting major press.  They wouldn't be if they were coming off a 3-9 year.

If USF had the opportunity to showcase this year and started out fast, beating FSU, watch how fast USF would have rocketed up expansion lists.

UCF would have been the #1 or 2 selection 2 years ago.  Now they are way down the list coming off an 0-12 season.

On field performance is far from the only criteria.  There are many others.  But you are fooling yourself if you think it doesn't matter.

Edited by BullsFanInTX

(Searching for my panic button) 

Just now, OcalaBull2 said:

(sweating profusely...4 more days is 8.1.16)

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,778
  • Days Won:  6

3 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

Are they going to announce their departure at the AAC Media Day?