• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

1 minute ago, ECUshoein said:

In reality most teams would probably just fly in/out of Orlando then shuttle to Tampa, they have direct flights to those locations and are generally cheaper with more departure/arrival times than Tampa.  Not sure how that fits into the USF narrative but from a practical standpoint that's probably more likely.  

That is crazy. Tampa is its own market, with a large busy airport. Since neither airport is a hub, both will offer about the same domestic destinations non-stop. 

Orlando has a good deal more international non-stops, which is a non-factor in this discussion. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

4 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

That is crazy. Tampa is its own market, with a large busy airport. Since neither airport is a hub, both will offer about the same domestic destinations non-stop. 

Orlando has a good deal more international non-stops, which is a non-factor in this discussion. 

Here are the non-stop destinations from Tampa http://nonstopfrom.com/tampa-tpa/ 

and from Orlando: http://nonstopfrom.com/orlando-mco/ 

Not a huge difference, and the prices out of each market are about the same. That would be like me saying when USF plays at ECU we fly into Charlotte, since they have a better airport than Raleigh. 

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, ECUshoein said:

In reality most teams would probably just fly in/out of Orlando then shuttle to Tampa, they have direct flights to those locations and are generally cheaper with more departure/arrival times than Tampa.  Not sure how that fits into the USF narrative but from a practical standpoint that's probably more likely.  

:facepalm:

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2016 at 1:56 PM, Knightfan41 said:

I am sure if you care to search the archives it will confirm my statement. 

On 2/23/2016 at 10:13 PM, GaUSFBull said:

Why should he search to prove YOUR assertion?  Why don't YOU search for said archived comment?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 hours ago, John Lewis said:

Since you went through the trouble would you mind see the air miles from Tampa to Austin, Lubbock, Dallas, Waco? Same for Hartford to all of those.

iseewhatyoudidthere-41905.jpg

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  83
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Dogma said:

Look this was not meant to be an argument but a response to a claim that UCF was "not even on the Big East's radar" which is just an incorrect statement.   UCF was on the Big East's radar as early as 1996 when Daunte was there.  There were various articles and the like linking UCF to a potential football only membership.  for example here is an OS article from 1997 discussing it. UCF catches Big East's Eye

There was an on again off again dance going on for years.  In early 2003 when the realignment really heated up UCF reported through unofficial  channels that they were going to be offered a football only membership.  The edge in football at the time was for UCF, but word was the basketball programs did not want UCF because basketball was (even more than now) really behind.  There were discussions on this board (where some UCF fans would eventually eat crow) and a quick search finds a few that touch on it   UCF and USF football only, but mostly they were on a board known then as the "UCF vs. USF" Board.  Later that board was renamed the "state of Florida Sports" board but I did not see where it went back to 2003. 

You can choose to believe or not I don't care.  USF ultimately got the nod and that is what really matters.  But it was not as clear cut as some would now make out to be.

• Downvote 4

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

14 minutes ago, Knightfan41 said:

Look this was not meant to be an argument but a response to a claim that UCF was "not even on the Big East's radar" which is just an incorrect statement.   .

And if you had just pointed out that UCF was probably on the BE's radar too, according to rumors back then, there shouldn't have been a problem ....  but you asserted the following, and have absolutely nothing to back up that "history lesson".

On 2/18/2016 at 10:00 AM, Knightfan41 said:

Actually as a history lesson originally the Big East was going to offer UCF a football only membership. 

... but thanks for trying to find something to back it up but hopefully now you see what you found, and what you called a "history lesson", is nothing more than what 99.9% of these 600+ pages has been about ..... unfounded rumors and gossip.

And thanks for finding that OS article from back then .... I'd love to have some of what Blaudschun was smoking.

1 hour ago, Knightfan41 said:

Look this was not meant to be an argument but a response to a claim that UCF was "not even on the Big East's radar" which is just an incorrect statement.   UCF was on the Big East's radar as early as 1996 when Daunte was there.  There were various articles and the like linking UCF to a potential football only membership.  for example here is an OS article from 1997 discussing it. UCF catches Big East's Eye

There was an on again off again dance going on for years.  In early 2003 when the realignment really heated up UCF reported through unofficial  channels that they were going to be offered a football only membership.  The edge in football at the time was for UCF, but word was the basketball programs did not want UCF because basketball was (even more than now) really behind.  There were discussions on this board (where some UCF fans would eventually eat crow) and a quick search finds a few that touch on it   UCF and USF football only, but mostly they were on a board known then as the "UCF vs. USF" Board.  Later that board was renamed the "state of Florida Sports" board but I did not see where it went back to 2003. 

You can choose to believe or not I don't care.  USF ultimately got the nod and that is what really matters.  But it was not as clear cut as some would now make out to be.

No one is disputing the fact that UCF may have been on the old BEast's radar.

However, even in my previous reply I am specifically referring to your "history lesson":

Which you conveniently ignored/forgot... and have yet to prove any evidence of:

On 2/18/2016 at 10:00 AM, Knightfan41 said:

Actually as a history lesson originally the Big East was going to offer UCF a football only membership.  But as Boston College bailed the basketball schools wanted a school with a better basketball program which USF had.

You pointed out that the evidence is out there, but yet fail to provide any.  Then tell us to look for it ourselves to prove your point.

:facepalm::rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  83
  • Days Won:  0

15 hours ago, Triple B said:

And if you had just pointed out that UCF was probably on the BE's radar too, according to rumors back then, there shouldn't have been a problem ....  but you asserted the following, and have absolutely nothing to back up that "history lesson".

... but thanks for trying to find something to back it up but hopefully now you see what you found, and what you called a "history lesson", is nothing more than what 99.9% of these 600+ pages has been about ..... unfounded rumors and gossip.

And thanks for finding that OS article from back then .... I'd love to have some of what Blaudschun was smoking.

I think some of you are just being oversensitive because I am a UCF fan.  I was a fan on this board at that time.  Obviously the guy who made the statement I reacted to was not.  Maybe I could have worded it better so it did not sound like an attack as it was not meant to be, but it was how it all went down. 

• Downvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

Thanks for your participation.  Hang in with us as we discuss this topic (civilly) through the offseason.