• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

We're banking on that and not actual performance on the field in sports that aren't named Women's Softball.

On the field performance varies from year to year.  Market and potential trump on the field performance by a very wide margin.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

These rumors would'nt shock me at all.  The USF/UCF combo is by far the best thing that a power 5 conference could get right now from the smaller conferences, and with UCF playing at a high level and USF quickly rebuilding the right way under Taggart a move to the Big XII is a no brainer, for them and us.  Ray Jay would sell out every time either Texas or Oklahoma came in, not to mention would be stuffed when we play UCF,West Virginia. Baylor and most of the other Big XII teams.   I also could see Cincy being added, but UConn has no chance. Their recruiting is awful right now and they are getting even worse then they already are.  I feel bad for their fans but UConn's days of relevence in football are over.

Yeah, but it's not totally necessary for them. Explain to me why, given the current situation they wouldn't just take Cincy and UCF? Cincy has consistently been one of the best teams in the AAC/Big East and is doing it again this year-not to mention if they become an elite Big 12 program, that hurts Ohio State and broadens the Big 12's reach into B1G territory. UCF has taken their opportunity and is holding it pretty hard. If we go into Orlando and beat them or play them close, I could see us making the combo argument, but USF still has a way to go to be a truly elite football program. Even with a great recruiting class coming in next year, we will have trouble in the Big 12. 

Look at WVU-they went from an elite program in the Big East to an average program in the big 12. We'd take at least 2-3 years to be successful in the Big 12. 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

Uconn to the big east... again

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

UConn has no chance? They're an AAU school that boasts one of the best mens and women's basketball programs in the country and are located right in between Boston and New York.

I haven't heard of one team that moved to a new conference these last several years because of basketball ...

It will be a "football decision", but Syracuse and Maryland aren't exactly sporting powerful football programs these days.

UConn is a real threat in conference expansion. More so than Cincy in my opinion

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,806
  • Days Won:  0

The problem for UCONN is the other sports. It seems West Virginia is really hanging on by a Thread for their other sports. I just dont think it is feasible for the BIG 12. I do think they could rejoin Big East basketball and go MAC for football.

UConn has no chance? They're an AAU school that boasts one of the best mens and women's basketball programs in the country and are located right in between Boston and New York.

I haven't heard of one team that moved to a new conference these last several years because of basketball ...

It will be a "football decision", but Syracuse and Maryland aren't exactly sporting powerful football programs these days.

UConn is a real threat in conference expansion. More so than Cincy in my opinion

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The problem for UCONN is the other sports. It seems West Virginia is really hanging on by a Thread for their other sports. I just dont think it is feasible for the BIG 12. I do think they could rejoin Big East basketball and go MAC for football.

Why would yet do that? They were a finalist with UL for the last spot in the ACC when Maryland jumped.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

These rumors would'nt shock me at all.  The USF/UCF combo is by far the best thing that a power 5 conference could get right now from the smaller conferences, and with UCF playing at a high level and USF quickly rebuilding the right way under Taggart a move to the Big XII is a no brainer, for them and us.  Ray Jay would sell out every time either Texas or Oklahoma came in, not to mention would be stuffed when we play UCF,West Virginia. Baylor and most of the other Big XII teams.   I also could see Cincy being added, but UConn has no chance. Their recruiting is awful right now and they are getting even worse then they already are.  I feel bad for their fans but UConn's days of relevence in football are over.

Yeah, but it's not totally necessary for them. Explain to me why, given the current situation they wouldn't just take Cincy and UCF? Cincy has consistently been one of the best teams in the AAC/Big East and is doing it again this year-not to mention if they become an elite Big 12 program, that hurts Ohio State and broadens the Big 12's reach into B1G territory. UCF has taken their opportunity and is holding it pretty hard. If we go into Orlando and beat them or play them close, I could see us making the combo argument, but USF still has a way to go to be a truly elite football program. Even with a great recruiting class coming in next year, we will have trouble in the Big 12. 

Look at WVU-they went from an elite program in the Big East to an average program in the big 12. We'd take at least 2-3 years to be successful in the Big 12. 

Because expansion has nothing to do with on the field results. The USF/UCF combo would lock in 2 of the largest media markets in the country and also land the Big 12 into fertile recruiting grounds. Most teams would be looking at 1 game in the state every year.

A strong Cincinnati in the Big 12 isn't going to take away anything from what Ohio State already has.

UCF has seized their current opportunity by being a multiple NCAA rules violator. They can enjoy the success now because their scholarship reduction over the next few years, coupled with a couple of poor recruiting classes the last 2 years will bring them back to earth once the upperclassmen leave.

WVU is realizing they didn't exactly hire a good coach.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

If the Big XII is smart they would go and add Cincy,USF,UCF, and BYU.  I know BYU has some extra demands like not playing on sunday but it would be worth the dive, just in terms of money and exposure.   I did'nt think about the fact that Cincy being in the Big XII would steal some thunder away from Ohio State, but it makes sense.  The bottom line is that without a CCG they have little to no hope of getting a team in the playoffs, and they are going to have to scoop up some new teams.  If the Conference looked like this...

North

West Virginia

Iowa State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

BYU

Cincy

Kansas

South

Texas

Texas Tech

USF

UCF

Baylor

TCU

K-State

That would be the makings of an extremely good conference.   UConn is interesting because ESPN loves them and does everything in their power to push them, but the Big XII has a split deal with Fox, and they have already stated that their number 1 choice is a USF/UCF combo.  We will see in the coming weeks and months, but my gut feeling is that we are not going to be in the AAC for long.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  102
  • Days Won:  0

I have said this a couple of times and I will say it again.

Some may agree and others will not.  However, like it or not, USF and UCF need each other here.  Neither program can do it alone.  And with any possible pending expansion, they will have to market themselves together.

What these big $$$$ donors need to do here is bust down Genshaft's and Hitt's door to their office and demand action.  Bring in the B12 officials with FOX officials (those that would make the decisions, and in particular, those in Austin), fly them into Tampa on a private jet, give them the tour of facilities and what is planned in the near future (fingers crossed for OCS), dinner at Berns.  The next day rent a limo, travel to Orlando.  Same routine at UCF with dinner at somewhere like the Oceanaire Seafood Room, then out on a private jet from Orlando Executive.

With the tours and dinners, sell each other together.  As a package and use the rankings in national TV markets combined.

If done properly, a P5 invite to the B12 I believe would happen for both as a combo.  However, Genshaft and Hitt need to put aside their BS disagreements they may have between one an other and the fans will need to suck it up until the deal is done.  Together the 2 programs need to sell each other.  And it has to be shown that there is money to be made from all parties:  B12, FOX, and the 10 established B12 Programs.

The rumors of expansion are just that rumors.  I believe the B12 will have to do something though.  I highly doubt the playoff committee will allow the B12 to be able to get into the play off without a CCG.  And in order to have the CCG they will need to go to 12 or 14 teams.  Not the present 10.  The final determination of the playoff criteria will dictate what the B12 actually does.  But for now, USF and UCF donors and alumni need to pushing Genshaft and Hitt to jointly go out there and get this done.  They should not allow BYU and Cincy to get ahead of them. 

This is game of musical chairs and they need to push everyone else out of the way to ensure they get a chair.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Outside of just wanting to get into Florida, Cincy/UConn make more sense to the Big 12 than the U_F's ...

Cincy to "some" degree but UCONN? They are way out of the footprint of Big 12 Culture. But who the hell knows, I guess anything is plausible now.

Are any of the 4 being tossed around here close to the B12 footprint?

USF/UCF are closer the footprint than anyone else being mentioned.

What is the B12 footprint then?