• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

So he is suggesting that a school could bail on their current non-power conference and become an independent in "Division 4"?

Strange.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

This is all very depressing.

Does this impact anyone else's interest in the sport?

Greatly. And I've grown to love CFB more than the NFL because of the unpredictability of the sport, the larger variance of styles of play, the impact momentum and rivalries have, and just the overall higher level of unity and spirit. I think for USF, it has been more of a punch in the gut because the timing of it has coincided with two of our worst years ever in football, and the other sports save for a few haven't been much better.

The problem for me is it becomes a theoretical rollercoaster cycle. We're in the minor leagues. Taggart gives me hope though, if he's able to turn the team around in 2-3 seasons, we'll be good. Recruiting will be at a disadvantage compared to P5 teams, but I think he could actually overcome that. Players want to play for him. But do we stay content if he can give us 8-9 win seasons but can't win games against P5 teams? Eventually the depth issue we had 4-5 years ago resurfaces? Or do a few good years (or less even) see Taggart bolt? Then we're back where we started or worse and no one knows.

Granted, the coach moving on would be an issue regardless if we were in the G5 or the bottom of the P5, but it really has just sullied my taste for watching. I hope at the least, we'll start winning and being competitive and I'll keep watching. The rest of CFB I used to watch just because I like the sport...now, probably couldn't care less.

I'm gonna just enjoy where we're at and being able to cheer on my school. If we're playing in a 40,000 seat stadium with 30,000 people in it against other AAC teams, so be it.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

But do we stay content if he can give us 8-9 win seasons but can't win games against P5 teams?

I can for a while...as long as we're in the top 2-3 in the conference. It's fun to beat FSU/Miami, but I'm weary of the losing record in our conference. Just no reason we can't rise.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

What team would fill a schedule as an independent D4 team other than ND.

Also if P5 break away why wouldnt you invite bball schools for tourney reasons for non football money payouts

I mean Big East would be crazy not to jump on that and pay stipends to keep up with bball.

Edited by jvwvu

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  502

There may be some smaller schools in the Big 5 (Wake, ISU, etc...) who might not have the money or inclination to abide by the new rules should they break off from the NCAA.  Just from that standpoint alone, this is encouraging for USF.  Question is would USF be willing to step up to the plate and play by the new big boy rules. 

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Lower the scholarship cap by 10. That would go a long way to leveling the playing field. 

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Boise State says you are wrong. History is accurate, but age is the problem, not winning. Winning wouldn't have made a differnwve

Really!? They were only an afterthought to the AQ conferences until they started winning under Petersen, and the thought of them being nationally televised was just silly...I mean, why?

Forgive me, but Boise isn't in a power conference are they?? So....

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  17

College football is progressing into a tier system. If that is the case it should be set up like european soccer.

Think about the possibilities.

Tier 1 school could have 5-10 less schollies but could pay their player a stiepend.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

College football is progressing into a tier system. If that is the case it should be set up like european soccer.

Think about the possibilities.

Tier 1 school could have 5-10 less schollies but could pay their player a stiepend.

If they are paying their players, what is a few less scholarships going to matter?

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

a promotion / relegation model would work VERY well in college football.

The kings will always be kings and it gives opportunities to EVERYONE.

say 5 conferences in P51... each aligned to a conference in G5... each aligned to whatever else etc. Top three from each division move up... bottom three move down.

• Upvote 1