• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

If there is any realignment I see this more of a possibility than USF going anywhere, the Power 5 leaving the NCAA.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/04/21/college-football-ncaa-split/2097115/

I think this will happen ^^^

It just makes sense.

Also this has been talked about in the past and it would basically make the top 5 conferences into a minor league NFL. Instead of conferences you would have regional divisions broken up into 2 conferences, with 3-4 divisions each.

So instead of a SEC, B1G, PAC, ACC, or BIG12 you would have a National College Football League (NCFL) with two conferences, most likely Eastern Conference and a Western Conference. Then within the conferences you would have 3-4 divisions in each conference... they would likely be a North-South-Central type breakup.

It has been discussed before... the new NCFL would work like the NFL... it would have a preseason and a post season with a single championship game like the super bowl.

All of the schools excluded from this elite new league would be left behind in the smoldering wreck that is the NCAA to pick up the pieces.

I would stop watch CFB all together if this happened.

Because USF isn't in that group? Or because you like seeing better teams play cupcakes?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

If there is any realignment I see this more of a possibility than USF going anywhere, the Power 5 leaving the NCAA.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/04/21/college-football-ncaa-split/2097115/

It just makes sense.

Also this has been talked about in the past and it would basically make the top 5 conferences into a minor league NFL. Instead of conferences you would have regional divisions broken up into 2 conferences, with 3-4 divisions each.

So instead of a SEC, B1G, PAC, ACC, or BIG12 you would have a National College Football League (NCFL) with two conferences, most likely Eastern Conference and a Western Conference. Then within the conferences you would have 3-4 divisions in each conference... they would likely be a North-South-Central type breakup.

It has been discussed before... the new NCFL would work like the NFL... it would have a preseason and a post season with a single championship game like the super bowl.

All of the schools excluded from this elite new league would be left behind in the smoldering wreck that is the NCAA to pick up the pieces.

Agreed. Might as well watch the NFL at that point...go Bucs?

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

SBN College Football â€@SBNationCFB 7m

Despite the B1G, we're declaring realignment's current phase dead anyway. @JasonKirkSBN on 25 stupid memories: http://bit.ly/YLf95k

Memphis to the SEC was my favorite!

• Topic Count:  161
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

What would USF overall record be IF they did join the B12 next year? 6-6?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

It just makes sense.

This is exactly where we are aheaded, the question remains does the NCAA make a separate "Big Boy Football 64 league" and split from what now is BCS level in 2.

Or does the Big 4 or 5 split from the NCAA all together and pocket the basketball tourney (March Madness) money along with possibly adding the Big East Basketball division.  (This is where the NCAA gets the most of their money)

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Personally, I don't think we are headed there.  I think Congress would get involved if we get to that point.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  342
  • Days Won:  2

I look forward to this hitting 200 pages!

Go go go!!

We will surely be in our new conference before then

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

What ??  I am really trying to figure out what you are saying here but it just went over my head like a 747.  Are you trying to say Fox would need to add $100 million a year for any two new teams ?  If that is what you are saying there isn't ANY two teams that could move that needle to there.  Aslo are you saying that the annual Sugar Bowl money and BCS money(not guarenteed) is 90 million a year ? 

You completly lost me on the 32 mil,25 mil champioship game.

Can you expain your post for us simple minded USF grads.

Right now here is breakdown with 10 teams,

ESPN and Fox pay $200 million a year to Big 12 for the 10 teams $20 mil each for Tier 1 & 2 rights.

The schools control their own Tier 3 which is breaking down from approximately $5-$15 million a year for just Tier 3 TV  and other parts are additional (Radio, Marketing and such)

Bowl money that is for Sugar Bowl (the new extra big game) and the BCS money (new way of paying) is guaranteed to pay the Big 12 conference approximately $92 million a year (~9mil a school per year)

Note:  This does not count other bowl game money sharing, and NCAA tourney (Bball) sharing

Thus for a school like WVU whose Tier 3 (total package tv, radio, marketing) will be signed soon for approximately $11 mil a season will get a revenue of guaranteed money of ~$40 mil a year ($20+$9+$11) and not including a few more million based on other bowl games.

Now the way I understand it in order to add teams value must be added and thus more money per team must be made.

Therefore with a conference game and new teams to Tier 1&2 contracts Fox (and/or ESPN) must add some money. ($25 million per year is thought) because

Tier 1&2 - $25 mil

Sugar bowl and BCS bowl game is still guaranteed $92 mil but divided by 12 teams meaning each team gets $7.6 mil

And Tier 3 remains the same (WVU $11 mil)

Therefore the new amount would be $43.6 million dollars to WVU (an extra $3.6 mil per year)

Therefore Fox (and/or ESPN) would need to poney up $100 mil a year to pay the existing 10 teams $5mil ($50 mil) more each and then the 2 additional teams (USF/UCF) $50mil ($25 mil each)

*** That is why I posed the question if you were Doug or Judy would you take less - say $7.5 mil for Tier 1&2 TV instead of $20 mil if Fox only offered $65 mil a year extra***

Edited by jvwvu