• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

Just read the ESPN article. So I'm starting to wonder whether Aresco is the grand poo-bah we were hoping he'd be. He's failing to keep this conference together. Was is that critical to add Tulane and ECU when Rutgers and UofL left? Because that move appears to be what has ruffled a lot of feathers with the basketball schools, and it doesn't appear to have been worth the risk considering Tulane and ECU don't (apparently) add much TV revenue.

What also concerns me is that we get all of these unnamed "industry sources" quoted by ESPN that uniformly move the numbers down on the TV deal, but no other unnamed "media sources" suggesting those numbers are too low. That suggests to me that, more likely than not, ESPN's reports are either (1) correct or (2) unchallenged, but should be (otherwise perception becomes reality).

Bottom line: Aresco may be good at negotiating TV deals when there's relative conference stability, but thus far he's shown me little in terms of keeping this Big East thing together.

Agree with you on that last point. I didn't like those two teams being added either. They happened so quickly, it seemed they were done more to give the perception of stability for TV deals than anything else. If its costs the BEC the basketball only schools, than he has made a big mistake and failed the conference.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Just read the ESPN article. So I'm starting to wonder whether Aresco is the grand poo-bah we were hoping he'd be. He's failing to keep this conference together. Was is that critical to add Tulane and ECU when Rutgers and UofL left? Because that move appears to be what has ruffled a lot of feathers with the basketball schools, and it doesn't appear to have been worth the risk considering Tulane and ECU don't (apparently) add much TV revenue.

What also concerns me is that we get all of these unnamed "industry sources" quoted by ESPN that uniformly move the numbers down on the TV deal, but no other unnamed "media sources" suggesting those numbers are too low. That suggests to me that, more likely than not, ESPN's reports are either (1) correct or (2) unchallenged, but should be (otherwise perception becomes reality).

Bottom line: Aresco may be good at negotiating TV deals when there's relative conference stability, but thus far he's shown me little in terms of keeping this Big East thing together.

not sure anybody was going to keep rutgers from going to big ten and louisville from going to acc. basketball schools breaking off is out of his hands as well. there is 1 football school left that has any basketball history with this conference.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

I see Aresco's job as doing his best to get each individual school into the best possible position, because with the Rutgers and Louisville departures, there's nothing he can do to keep this group together. Put a fork in it; we're done. Help the basketball schools get what they need, get the rest of us into real conferences (if possible) and help negotiate deals for those of us that have to go independent -- for that, he should be rewarded with a fat check taken from the fees collected from various departures.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  1

$$ talks. there is not stability. i'm sure he's doing what he can. if everyone would've stayed we'd have a deal by now

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I see Aresco's job as doing his best to get each individual school into the best possible position, because with the Rutgers and Louisville departures, there's nothing he can do to keep this group together. Put a fork in it; we're done. Help the basketball schools get what they need, get the rest of us into real conferences (if possible) and help negotiate deals for those of us that have to go independent -- for that, he should be rewarded with a fat check taken from the fees collected from various departures.

Aresco took over the Titantic after we already hit the iceberg, I don't blame him for trying to keep her afloat as long as he could.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

If this happens then Uconn, UC and USF should really think about suing ESPN

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

for giggle and shites:

MHver3 â€@MHver3

what i know is that SMU/UH/ECU/Tulane/UC/USF/BSU/SDSU have been shopping themselves as a group to the MWC and CUSA

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

Where in what you wrote is what his primary responsibility as BEC commissioner is? Secure the best interests of the conference. Everything you've proposed is equivalent to managing the dissolution of the conference. Yes we lost two teams, and it could be argued not even the best two products the BEC had (Rutgers). The issue being raised is that the decision to add two schools which add next to nothing to the conference may be the tipping point to drive out the BB schools which have defined the BEC for decades, even more than the football product which has been mocked constantly.

I was raised on BE basketball so as I see it, there is a lot to be lost here.

I disagree rewarding Aresco with a fat bonus for accelerating the conference's demise by adding Tulane and ECU in the quest for TV dollars which will not come.

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

If we are at the point where we are pleading, it's a done deal.

"UConn president Susan Herbst has contacted officials from the non-FBS Big East members, pleading with them to stay in the league, sources told ESPN."

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

Aresco took over the Titantic after we already hit the iceberg, I don't blame him for trying to keep her afloat as long as he could.

Completely agree; he's doing his best. I don't we can expect miracles from him... it's just not realistic.

If this happens then Uconn, UC and USF should really think about suing ESPN

Any BCS school that is left out of the final round of realignment would easily have a multiparty lawsuit against almost every major conference and ESPN. That's actually the biggest positive I see in the matter for USF. Either a conference is going to take us or we're going to be able to sue to our heart's content and we can build a floating on OCS with the money we'd win in settlements, alone.