• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Evaluating CJS Through His First 12 Games

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,347
  • Days Won:  0

I'm throwing last season out and starting with this one. Honestly, all I am expecting is to see is progress.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

11 minutes ago, Mission9 said:

While I would imagine it was not the intention of the original poster, this thread is perfect for Puc like a uniform thread was for BigShoop. 

I liked our shade of gold 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

32 minutes ago, puc86 said:

So it is your opinion that he inherited a zero win roster and that his single FCS victory was in fact improvement? If so when will his recruiting look any better than the ones that came before him so that he can have the athletes necessary for him and his staff to beat the Titans of the AAC?

I think it is very difficult to say what the talent level of the roster was when he inherited it. Based upon what I saw and the transfer portal, I am thinking it was a 2 win roster (1 FCS and 1 FBS) which would mean he underachieved by 1 game last year. 

I still think that we will win 3, maybe 4 games total this season. Next year will really be the time for him to produce a .500+ team.  

14 minutes ago, Mission9 said:

This statement alone is embarrassing enough and will be a reason I will get out the torches and pitchforks (as well as paper bags) to pass around and to call for his head ( if this disaster continues). 

There is no bottom to which CJS defenders will sink to denigrate our program, our athletes, our alumni, our fans and our medical staff because the only way to say he is do a good job is by having to say it’s not his fault that everything else is the absolute worst.

It’s sad and does not embrace a USF first agenda. Stats? Fake News! Rankings? Fake news! Recruiting? Fake news! Other people are winning? Fake news! Our athletes are ranked in the better half of the AAC? Fake news! If anyone was destined to fail for 3 years then why bother making a change at all?

Probably because that wasn’t the actual perspective and is only being retrograded to dismiss that CJS has been weighed he has been measured and he was found wanting. There is a 💯 chance that we will have a new coordinator next season, that’s not because we have been successful in the face of adversity, it’s because the current staff is the adversity.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

43 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

You are making assumptions regarding where the program was when he took over. You are assuming that he inherited a 4-win caliber roster, but it was clear that there wasn't much, if any, Division I talent on that roster. Again, just look at where our transferred ended up in the portal. Also, he didn't have the benefit of playing UCONN last year (we would have beaten them mercilessly) and ECU had improved to the point they were better than us. The only loss that absolutely should have been a win was Temple. Other than Temple what team, on paper, should we have beaten last year? I am going to assume you would say ECU. So he underachieved by 2 wins last season. Which is still debatable; I would put the number at 1. 

Outsiders don't have the perspective of the state of the progrum. They just see W's and L's. I expect myopic, uninformed, unrealistic opinions from outsiders. 

Coaching was 100% a factor in winning zero FBS games last year.   Was there other factors?  Of course, but if he and his staff do a better job coaching 2-3 wins should have definitely been a reality.   The talent discussion is ridiculous.   We didn't have jv high school guys on. roster and we weren't competing in the SEC, it's the aac for crying out loud.  Coach up your players and go out and win some games.

Now, I'm not out on a ledge screaming for CJS' head, but enough of the excuses.  He is getting paid to coach the team up.   As said several times before, I will reserve judgement until after the conference slate this year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I think it is very difficult to say what the talent level of the roster was when he inherited it. Based upon what I saw and the transfer portal, I am thinking it was a 2 win roster (1 FCS and 1 FBS) which would mean he underachieved by 1 game last year. 

I still think that we will win 3, maybe 4 games total this season. Next year will really be the time for him to produce a .500+ team.  

I will meet you in the middle and say that it’s fair enough to me just to acknowledge that it was under achieving which at the very best would be a D. 6 wins were the measure for this season and anything less is a failure but as gracious as I am I will accept 5 as the middle, but there is no way in hell anyone thinks 6 wins in the AAC in year three is an achievement of any sort. When he was hired people were talking about year three championship contention now it’s being suggested he needs a roster entirely of his own just to be able to present a serviceable aac team. That’s not being objective that’s being absurd.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Mission9 said:

This statement alone is embarrassing enough and will be a reason I will get out the torches and pitchforks (as well as paper bags) to pass around and to call for his head ( if this disaster continues). 

Times they are a-changing. ECU is improving, albeit slowly, under Mike Houston. They just beat a pretty decent Marshall team on the road one week after losing on a last second field goal to South Carolina. Their HC is in his third season there and this is where you would expect to see improvement. I wouldn't be surprised if they won 6 games this season. 

3 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I will meet you in the middle and say that it’s fair enough to me just to acknowledge that it was under achieving which at the very best would be a D. 6 wins were the measure for this season and anything less is a failure but as gracious as I am I will accept 5 as the middle, but there is no way in hell anyone thinks 6 wins in the AAC in year three is an achievement of any sort. When he was hired people were talking about year three championship contention now it’s being suggested he needs a roster entirely of his own just to be able to present a serviceable aac team. That’s not being objective that’s being absurd.

When he was hired we didn't realize we were going to lose an entire Spring to Covid. It's hard to evaluate talent when you can't even see it on the practice field. The questions are: Will you concede that, relative to the situation he inherited, CJS and USF were more impacted by Covid and the challenges it presented than at least 90% of the rest of college football? Would you admit that losing the Spring season was detrimental to making personnel decisions, developing a culture, and implementing a brand new offense? Would you admit that the negative effects from the Covid shortened season carried over into this offseason, resulting in a mass exodus of players from the program that would have likely been gone the year before had the Spring session not been completely lost? 

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,169
  • Days Won:  56

While this debate will undoubtedly continue to rage on as long as our boy puc86 is here, there would be absolutely no positive in making a change at head coach for at least a couple more seasons - unless, of course, Bear Bryant rises from the grave and wants the job. I think we need to ride with Scott (and Gregory) at this point until it's clear they won't get it done. We can't continue to play musical chairs with those two jobs. I was a guy who thought the time was definitely getting short for Billy Mohl, but the patience there seems to be paying off. The close of last season is one example why, but he's also doing a great job recruiting after some early scuffling. The only head coach I'd be in favor of dumping at this point is the one leading our men's futbol program.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

I think the first step to success is to stop using the victim mentality.  There were lots of barriers, but it still doesn't make going 0'fer FBS ok.  You don't have to call for his head to say we should have been better and move forward from there.

• Upvote 2