• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fall Practice, Day 6

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Days Won:  2

The way Scott talks about McClain makes me think he should just give him the keys to the car and go with it.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

3 minutes ago, jg233 said:

The way Scott talks about McClain makes me think he should just give him the keys to the car and go with it.

The way I hear it, Cade is ready to run the offense right now.  McClain has a chance to be special down the line.

10 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

The way I hear it, Cade is ready to run the offense right now.  McClain has a chance to be special down the line.

If McClain has the higher ceiling then you might as well just play him.  Fortin has three years left.  If McClain is that talented, he isn't gonna sit behind him for three years.  It will be better for him to take his lumps when there are no expectations.  If he is terrible, then you can just switch to Fortin.  

8 minutes ago, jg233 said:

If McClain has the higher ceiling then you might as well just play him.  Fortin has three years left.  If McClain is that talented, he isn't gonna sit behind him for three years.  It will be better for him to take his lumps when there are no expectations.  If he is terrible, then you can just switch to Fortin.  

1. You always want players to earn playing time, not be given it.

2. You always want to win games.  If Cade is better right now, Cade should play right now.

3. Putting a player in too early can have negative effects on their development.  

You can put a RB in for a few plays that play to their strengths to bring them along slowly.  Really difficult to do that with a QB.  I think it is a bad idea to put any player in a position to fail.  So I am always against this approach.  I don't want any player to take their lumps unnecessarily.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

1. You always want players to earn playing time, not be given it.

2. You always want to win games.  If Cade is better right now, Cade should play right now.

3. Putting a player in too early can have negative effects on their development.  

You can put a RB in for a few plays that play to their strengths to bring them along slowly.  Really difficult to do that with a QB.  I think it is a bad idea to put any player in a position to fail.  So I am always against this approach.  I don't want any player to take their lumps unnecessarily.

To me, it all depends on how many games the coaches think Fortin would add to the win total.  If they think they can win 6+ games with Fortin and only 3 with McClain, then play Fortin.  If they think Fortin is better right now but isn't going to necessarily add too much more to the win column then just play McClain.  If he looks lost out there then it is an easy change to make.  

7 minutes ago, jg233 said:

To me, it all depends on how many games the coaches think Fortin would add to the win total.  If they think they can win 6+ games with Fortin and only 3 with McClain, then play Fortin.  If they think Fortin is better right now but isn't going to necessarily add too much more to the win column then just play McClain.  If he looks lost out there then it is an easy change to make.  

I can't argue too much with this approach.  That is what Taggart did with Quinton Flowers.  But QF did look lost out there and so he didn't play much that first year.  And then he lost a year of eligibility.  Which cost us another year of an even better QF.  And it cost QF another year to prove to the NFL that he could be an NFL QB, even if just a backup.

So that is a concern of mine.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

season 2 GIF

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

3 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

But QF did look lost out there and so he didn't play much that first year.  And then he lost a year of eligibility. 

Also, they don't always bounce back like QF and can get messed up after getting thrown out there like that.  I am flashing back to Charlie Strong sending already injured QBs out there to get murdered late in the game.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

57 minutes ago, jg233 said:

But of course McClain could just say screw it and leave and play immediately somewhere else. Q did not have that advantage. 

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

If McClain is the real deal and a program changing QB then get him in there at the earliest opportunity without stunting his growth.  Perhaps this goes down like Trevor Lawrences first year.  I can’t remember his name, but another QB got the start to begin the year and then they went to Lawrence after around 3 games and Lawrence never looked back and the other guy transferred out.  And no I’m not comparing McClain to Lawrence, but the process make look similar.  Now if we can just get a fraction of his success…