• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The newest disaster

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424
  • Days Won:  1

41 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Except for a few diehards, nobody cares about USF athletics.  The administration doesn’t care.  Students don’t care.  The community and the alumni don’t care.  This apathy transcends everything so there’s no culture here to perform and excel.   I honestly don’t know how to change things or if at this point it can be changed.  Maybe the new President will help with a top down commitment.  I know it’s early but so far I’ve been quite underwhelmed by the VPoA.

MK was given a mess to deal with and with a limited budget. He has done an awesome job with scheduling for the football program, the women's basketball program is as strong as ever, he hired a coordinator from one of the best football programs in the country and APR's are at all-time high.

People bought in too hard to the Big 4 concept back in 2007 and its left alot of the flaky fanbase disillusioned and when it couldn't be sustained people jumped on some other bandwagon. USF can get to that level again but need the fans to show their support even in down times. MK will get us there, we just need to give him time - 3 years is nothing in the grand scheme of things and what he has done under the current set of circumstances is nothing short of amazing!

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424
  • Days Won:  1

35 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I wonder how long Brad will want to keep this board going for the 15 of us who are still on it. Sad times indeed. 

I think people are just tired of all the bashing of the athletic department and the people pouring their professional lives into it. We are just fans but this is their career.  Why go to a message board and listen to people complain and bash people - if you are a true fan then you should support your school and teams in good times and bad.

I'd rather have a message board with only a few people that all agree in supporting our student-athletes and those who have chosen to call USF their professional homes. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

I know next to nothing about soccer but did speak with the current coach and, as bjef said, different coaches run different systems.  This is another example of a coach having success elsewhere and coming to USF and having problems. I don't know if it is a curse but something happens to people when they come here, whether players or coaches. In hoops we bring in guys that supposedly can shoot and they step on campus and, all of a sudden, they can't make a shot. I have no explanation.

For one this isn't the A-Sun, but as I said before there is no reason to turn a successful program upside down and it really makes little sense.  It is the same thing CCS did with football when he took over for CWT and look where that got us.  By contrast when Frost left, the knits hired a guy that didn't need to blow it up to "put his system" in and they were able to maintain a level of success despite the turnover.  If in his 4th year we are getting beat 7-0 then something is wrong. I hope it is covid, but I'm not so sure.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

35 minutes ago, bjef4844 said:

I think people are just tired of all the bashing of the athletic department and the people pouring their professional lives into it. We are just fans but this is their career.  Why go to a message board and listen to people complain and bash people - if you are a true fan then you should support your school and teams in good times and bad.

I'd rather have a message board with only a few people that all agree in supporting our student-athletes and those who have chosen to call USF their professional homes. 

I’m an alumnus that loves USF.   I buy club access tickets at Ray Jay.  I’ve traveled to away games.  I’ve given money to capital improvements like the IPF.  I feel like I’ve done my part while USF athletics has not.  The gimme 3 years and more money to turn things around motto grows old after a while when they keep resetting the goal posts.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,171
  • Days Won:  56

28 minutes ago, bjef4844 said:

Your post makes a lot of sense, but we are human. I’ve been there - win or lose - for 35 years. It’s been a lot more lose than win during that time. Eventually, we all get to the point where we have to make decisions with our time and money. Being as involved with USF fans as I have for this long - running a magazine and the Rivals site for years - I’ve watched so many simply lose interest and walk away from active fandom because they can’t continue to invest their time and money in this inconsistent product. If you’ve been around our internet fan base for awhile, where have all those folks gone? All those familiar internet handles from the 90s and 2000s are gone. Maybe it is because of the negative attitudes of those that are left. More likely, they just decided that USF athletics simply isn’t a growth stock anymore. We had so much optimism, but it’s hard to find these days.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

2 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

For one this isn't the A-Sun, but as I said before there is no reason to turn a successful program upside down and it really makes little sense.  It is the same thing CCS did with football when he took over for CWT and look where that got us.  By contrast when Frost left, the knits hired a guy that didn't need to blow it up to "put his system" in and they were able to maintain a level of success despite the turnover.  If in his 4th year we are getting beat 7-0 then something is wrong. I hope it is covid, but I'm not so sure.

Leadership and vision.  What a novel concept.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, bjef4844 said:

I’ve supported them for over 30 years. The responsibility is on the athletic department to perform and they have not only failed but failed miserably. If you want a bunch of “yes” people happy with results that are lower than mediocrity then be my guess. I would rather expect more from my alma mater. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

25 minutes ago, Dave Glaser said:

Your post makes a lot of sense, but we are human. I’ve been there - win or lose - for 35 years. It’s been a lot more lose than win during that time. Eventually, we all get to the point where we have to make decisions with our time and money. Being as involved with USF fans as I have for this long - running a magazine and the Rivals site for years - I’ve watched so many simply lose interest and walk away from active fandom because they can’t continue to invest their time and money in this inconsistent product. If you’ve been around our internet fan base for awhile, where have all those folks gone? All those familiar internet handles from the 90s and 2000s are gone. Maybe it is because of the negative attitudes of those that are left. More likely, they just decided that USF athletics simply isn’t a growth stock anymore. We had so much optimism, but it’s hard to find these days.

I would submit that there is a correlation into the number of people on this board and the lousy results of the teams. To say, as the OP suggests, it’s because of negative attitudes is dubious at best. People left when the program started losing. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
34 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

No I don't think we can blame it on Covid, its Coaching imo.  Losing 7-0 even to a ranked team is ridiculous and sad.....because Men's Soccer has always been one of the programs that we could count on every year of being if not really good, at least competitve.  Its scary how far this entire program is unraveling.  Maybe I'm over-reacting, I hope.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,845
  • Days Won:  22

1 hour ago, bjef4844 said:

I have supported USF Athletics since I enrolled in 1978, I was part of the group that tried to bring football to USF back in 1981. I continue to support USF Athletics with donations, football season tickets etc. All of that even-though for most years I think Athletics overall has underperformed, I’m not even comparing us to the Power Conferences, just look around we are mostly lower end in our own conference in most sports. We have been passed by UCF, which as much as I dislike seems to move faster in Athletic moves and expect better results from their coaches. All we keep hearing is the potential we have, yes fan base had unrealistic expectations back in the Big East years when we were going up and up. But the fan base financial support was very thin and collapsed as we dropped out of BE and went into a football tail spin.

I will continue to support USF Athletics, but I will continue to demand and expect better results. As I said we should be in top quarter of the AAC in every sport, anything short of that is failure.

• Upvote 2