• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thoughts after calming down

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

So this game was a gut punch, but now that I have had time to digest it some:

-Team is improving, I hastily said I was done with this team, but they showed a lot of heart today.  The coaches did not have their backs.   

-Defense played outstanding until the last 2 drives by Memphis.

-Coaches cost the team by going conservative instead of playing to win.  On second and 9, you need to pass the ball and try to get a first down, instead of running when Memphis was stacking box.  Getting a first down effectively ends the game (able to take 4 knees and run out clock).  Why are they afraid to be aggressive and go for the win?

-Defensive coordinator called terrible alignments the last 2 drives.  We haven't been able to get sacks all year, and you are rushing 3 slow linemen and allowing Memphis QB 10 seconds to sit around and wait for people to come open?  Should have sent more bodies at QB and went down swinging, if it backfires, it backfires, but at least you were agressive.

-Charlie Weis Jr. actually called a pretty good game up until the 4th quarter. 

-Noah Johnson should play every snap the rest of the year.  With this being a free year for everyone, is Johnson eligible to come back next year, even though he's a grad transfer?  He looked like he had excellent accuracy and zip on the ball.

-Battie looks faster than Joiner and deserves more carries.

-A lot of progress was made today, will the Bulls improve on it, or get dejected due to loss and regress.  Houston is very beatable next week.

-What's up with Ford, why wasn't he there?

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

9 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

So this game was a gut punch, but now that I have had time to digest it some:

-Team is improving, I hastily said I was done with this team, but they showed a lot of heart today.  The coaches did not have their backs.   

-Defense played outstanding until the last 2 drives by Memphis.

-Coaches cost the team by going conservative instead of playing to win.  On second and 9, you need to pass the ball and try to get a first down, instead of running when Memphis was stacking box.  Getting a first down effectively ends the game (able to take 4 knees and run out clock).  Why are they afraid to be aggressive and go for the win?

-Defensive coordinator called terrible alignments the last 2 drives.  We haven't been able to get sacks all year, and you are rushing 3 slow linemen and allowing Memphis QB 10 seconds to sit around and wait for people to come open?  Should have sent more bodies at QB and went down swinging, if it backfires, it backfires, but at least you were agressive.

-Charlie Weis Jr. actually called a pretty good game up until the 4th quarter. 

-Noah Johnson should play every snap the rest of the year.  With this being a free year for everyone, is Johnson eligible to come back next year, even though he's a grad transfer?  He looked like he had excellent accuracy and zip on the ball.

-Battie looks faster than Joiner and deserves more carries.

-A lot of progress was made today, will the Bulls improve on it, or get dejected due to loss and regress.  Houston is very beatable next week.

-What's up with Ford, why wasn't he there?

CJS said in post game interview that they went into zone on the last two drives because of depth at the DB position. He was scared Memphis would go long on their tired DBs and give up a quick score. He wanted to make them drive the field.

I don’t like it...

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

CJS said in post game interview that they went into zone on the last two drives because of depth at the DB position. He was scared Memphis would go long on their tired DBs and give up a quick score. He wanted to make them drive the field.

I don’t like it...

Then they go long.  Scott sat there and allowed their QB all day to sit around and wait for guys to get open.  DB's can't cover people forever.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,417
  • Days Won:  3

Ugh. Just a gut wrenching loss.  It was a **** exciting game though! Ill take it over a beat down.  

3 minutes ago, Sk00b said:

Ugh. Just a gut wrenching loss.  It was a **** exciting game though! Ill take it over a beat down.  

It was exciting for a change.  I was expecting to lose about 50-21 or something like that.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

34 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Defensive coordinator called terrible alignments the last 2 drives.  We haven't been able to get sacks all year, and you are rushing 3 slow linemen and allowing Memphis QB 10 seconds to sit around and wait for people to come open?  Should have sent more bodies at QB and went down swinging, if it backfires, it backfires, but at least you were agressive.

There may have been more times but I remember twice that he sent more bodies. Both resulted in TD's, including the game winner ....... which was a perfect throw to a receiver pretty well covered by Sails. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the other team for making the plays when they needed to. White's a pretty **** good, 5th year senior QB and he played like one on those 2 late td drives.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

I'll say this after calming down. This team looks better than earlier on.

I think coaches have to keep the pedal down...no letting up at the end unless your up huge like 28 points or something very late.

This d line needs so much help especially at DE position.

Team and coaches have to learn to put teams away.  Memphis knows how to do it we dont yet. 

Special teams actually also looks way better than years past...so that's nice.

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

1 hour ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Coaches cost the team by going conservative instead of playing to win.  On second and 9, you need to pass the ball and try to get a first down, instead of running when Memphis was stacking box.  Getting a first down effectively ends the game (able to take 4 knees and run out clock).  Why are they afraid to be aggressive and go for the win?

Interesting that in the Clemson-ND game, the Tigers were in a very similar situation .... 2nd & 9, protecting a one touchdown lead late in the 4th quarter ... and ran the ball. Ending up giving up a tying touchdown.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

37 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Interesting that in the Clemson-ND game, the Tigers were in a very similar situation .... 2nd & 9, protecting a one touchdown lead late in the 4th quarter ... and ran the ball. Ending up giving up a tying touchdown.

And loss the game eventually 

55 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Yeah it looked like they ran the exact same play we did.  With almost the exact same results.

Edited by BullsFanInTX