• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

David Sills Dismissed from BBALL team!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Well... do I add my two cents... or just continue to look at my keyboard in disgust while I think about the list of players that have departed our fine institution for behavioral problems. Hey RMC... instead of forcing them out, teach them and keep them... detrimental in one's eyes might be taken out of context if the coach has lost what reality is with today's generation. Help them... don't kick them to the curve and make them society's problem. You recruited them on the school's dime... make it work and don't give up so easily saying they couldn't conform to the team's high standards.

This **** never ceases to amaze me. We may have had a bad boy team in the past under the "loose reigns" of Seth, but at least by having those "bad apples" making it to their senior year, it afforded them the opportunity overseas to play ball and to grow up. I'm still pretty immature at 30... those guys just need time to grow. For those of you that throw stones at glass houses, not all of us have walked a straight line between 18-24.  It's sad to throw another kid out on his ass... but this is a team solely recruited by RMC. And if you don't think that this won't make waves with the other players... Sills I'm pretty confident to say has one or two close friends on the team that will side with him. Let the train wreck begin...

Please Melvin Buckley... be our two year savior (ala Steve Francis for Maryland turning that program around so by year three when he left they were in position to win a National title).

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

They are choosing to leave the program by not following what is expected of them. I agree that many at that age are immature and need chances BUT i will tell you that athletes that act immature get a hell of a lot more chances than the rest of the student population. How many regular students would have gotten a scholarship from USF after bouncing around three jucos in two years?

Yes Coach RMC has lost many players since his arrival but even with a short bench we saw better team play and results at the end of last season than we have seen in many years.

Time spent brushing egos could take away from coaching time and poison a team;s chemistry,he is being paid to coach and win so its his call.No one here knows exactly what the reasons and chances given to Sills before decision was arrived.

Go Bullls!!!

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

David Sills Dismissed From USF Men's Basketball Program

TAMPA, Fla. – University of South Florida men’s basketball player David Sills has been dismissed from the program, head coach Robert McCullum announced Tuesday afternoon.

“David’s behavior and attitude were detrimental to the program and, as a result, we felt it was in the best interest of the team to dismiss him,†McCullum said. “He had numerous opportunities to show he wanted to fit in and unfortunately it didn’t work out.â€Â

Sills (6-1, 190) arrived in Tampa from the junior college ranks this fall and was expected to add depth at the guard positions. He played one season at Odessa College (2002-03) and one at Southern Idaho (2003-04) before earning his degree from Bunker Hill Community College.

“We wish David the best of luck in his basketball endeavors and are willing to help him find a program with which he may be a better fit,†McCullum said.

Usually, when you are the 4th School a player has attended in College, there are plenty of "signs" to see.

USF..."Here's your sign".

KL

• Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  401
  • Days Won:  0

I think what Sheriff is saying is that if Seth recruited this kid and it happened you guys would be saying, "**** it Seth wasted his time by recruiting a kid he knew had discipline problems and look what happened. Fire him."

Instead the reaction is, "G-d Bless Robert for trying to help a troubled soul. How dare David Sill take advantage of him!"

This Board is very hypocritical and almost laughable in these situations.

Sherrif makes a good point that I agree with, half the people I went to school with who did stuff that did things that would have gotten them kicked off the team if they were on it. Now, they are bankers, lawyers, community leaders, moms, dad, etc.

But hey, we do not know what happen. Maybe Sills did something that warranted him getting kicked off. Since it is the old cover "Conduct detrimental to the team" it is really tough to formulate an opinion.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,569
  • Days Won:  1

I like what McCullum is doing.  I will have to say that I don't pay as much attention to basketball as I do football these days, but I always thought that the Bulls basketball team in the past has been an undisciplined bunch on the court.  When McCullum came it seemed like he was cleaning house, with all kinds of players bolting.  It may take a few years, but I think that he is going to be running a tight ship, and it will pay off in the form of a well-disciplined, competitive team.  Anybody ever see the movie "Hoosiers"?   ;)

Guest RMCs_Best_Bud

The more things change the more they stay the same.  

RMC is recruiting kids that are of a questionable character.  We all know it, HE knows it, and yet he is so quick to drop the hammer when they step out of line.  The kid has bounced around a lot.  Did RMC think he was going to come to Tampa and miraculously change his ways?  How bout giving him 5 minutes to get acclimated....

>:(

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I like what McCullum is doing.  I will have to say that I don't pay as much attention to basketball as I do football these days, but I always thought that the Bulls basketball team in the past has been an undisciplined bunch on the court.  When McCullum came it seemed like he was cleaning house, with all kinds of players bolting.  It may take a few years, but I think that he is going to be running a tight ship, and it will pay off in the form of a well-disciplined, competitive team.  Anybody ever see the movie "Hoosiers"?   ;)

I couldn't agree more. I'll take a disciplined group of overachievers over an undisciplined group of underachievers any day.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

The more things change the more they stay the same.  

RMC is recruiting kids that are of a questionable character.  We all know it, HE knows it, and yet he is so quick to drop the hammer when they step out of line.  The kid has bounced around a lot.  Did RMC think he was going to come to Tampa and miraculously change his ways?  How bout giving him 5 minutes to get acclimated....

>:(

How do you know how quick he was to drop the hammer?  I love when someone on the outside of the program presumes to know exactly what's going on inside.  You have no idea how many chances RMC may have given this kid.  It could very well be one chance, but maybe upon recruiting him RMC told him he had one chance.  The kid has a history of to look at.

I'm all for giving kids another chance, but if they blow it, it's not RMC's fault.

Guest S.  Bien

Yeah, the kid has been here for six months, but suddenly RMC is rushing to judgement?

Sills was a last minute addition, an attempt to get lightning in a bottle.  If he panned out then he might have contributed quality minutes, if not, well no one expects us to win the BE this year and the staff has been building for this latest recruiting class for three years- and that's just one more schollie to build with.  

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

That one extra schollie could be big for us next year since we already have a good class in the making, and that gives it potential to be even better.