• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oracle: On Campus Stadium Debate!!!

Guest bullistic930

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,747
  • Days Won:  3

Ah, but your entire argument hinges on "the plan", and you can't honestly say that it is NOT USF's plan to exhaust the utility of RayJ, can you? You don't actually know what the USFAA has for long term initiatives, do you? I certainly don't.

I trust the folks who are currently piloting the ship.

But if you actually want to push this issue, YOU take it up with Genshaft & Woolard....then come back here and let us know what you find out.  Just call up the USFAA and ask if there is a long term plan for an OCS. Who knows...maybe you can get some sort of grass-roots effort for an OCS going.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Justin Boza
I trust the folks who are currently piloting the ship.

i trust them to, but there is absolutely no mention of a stadium to be built that we can call our own.. which leads me back to the issue of being apathetic when it comes to our football program.. before we got football on our campus, there was no mention by the administration of getting football at USF, but the student body made enough of a stir to get it on campus.. USF and its community was proactive in getting it done.. what i'm saying is that we need a united front to get it done with this task.. we need a home, and whether you think we need one now or later is beside my point.. we need to get together and let the administration know that they need to start planning for it

Well...If you want to "run with the ball", go ahead.

Let me know what Genshaft & Woolard say.

Point being...I think we've exhausted the bulletin board aspect of this thing.

One thing though:

...before we got football on our campus, there was no mention by the administration of getting football at USF, but the student body made enough of a stir to get it on campus..

I don't know where you're getting your information, but if you'd swing by the official USF ( http://isis.fastmail.usf.edu/usf-athletics/Sports/football/2005/media_guide/2004_fb_mediaguide.pdf )  website, click on the football link and take a look at the media guide, there is a good deal of documentation about HOW USF got the football program into existence...I think it's on page 10. Point being, it was long before '97 - when the first game was played...you may find it educational. The chronology is laid out from back in '92 with the feasibility study, '93 the initial $10M for the Board of Regents Approval...you get the idea.  ;)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

i trust them to, but there is absolutely no mention of a stadium to be built that we can call our own..

You're just not connected .....

Tuesday night was the first time I have heard anyone at USF (in a power position) talk about building an OCS. It was referred to as a down the road project. They have 70mil for other improvements they will do first for other sports before building a football stadium...

...As for the football stadium, a figure of 100 mil was used to ballpark what USF would spend on a football stadium. (Probably similar to UConn's) Which is probably about 6 to 10 years down the road. Unless someone donates 100mil to USF for it now.

USF does not want to build anything on campus that is not first class. So every project will be designed and completed with the same quality as the athletic center.

I personally was against an OCS. I was afraid we would have a budget stadium. I would love to have an OCS if it is built in the same quality as the Athletic center.

http://www.thebullspen.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1130335242;start=0#0

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

The argument about increased attendance with an OCS is crap!  I would submit to you that other sports such as basketball, baseball, etc, have less attendance because they are on campus rather than at a central location like RJS.

Most USF fans come from the community (Carrollwood, Pinellas County, etc.) not from on campus.  Most don't want to travel to the N.E. quadrant of the county (where there's really nothing much else to do) to watch a college baseball game.

• Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741

The argument about increased attendance with an OCS is crap!  I would submit to you that other sports such as basketball, baseball, etc, have less attendance because they are on campus rather than at a central location like RJS.

Most USF fans come from the community (Carrollwood, Pinellas County, etc.) not from on campus.  Most don't want to travel to the N.E. quadrant of the county (where there's really nothing much else to do) to watch a college baseball game.

Based on your post I one could believe that ou think that attendance would suffer if we had an OCS. I don't think that is the case at all. All of us who do not live on campus have reliable tranportation that would allow us to attend no matter where the games are. Also the campus is actually in the N.W. quadrant of the County.

Guest Justin Boza
The argument about increased attendance with an OCS is crap!  I would submit to you that other sports such as basketball, baseball, etc, have less attendance because they are on campus rather than at a central location like RJS..

will people stop bringing up this point?  i dare anyone bring up attendance figures of ANY SCHOOL in florida that have stronger attendance in other sports such as basketball, baseball, etc versus that of football.. FLORIDA IS A FOOTBALL STATE-- is that so hard to acknowledge?  UF basketball has succeeded UF football for at least the past 5 years, yet people still showed up to more ron-zook-led UF football games than their highly ranked basketball games.. YOU CANNOT COMPARE USF FOOTBALL TO OTHER SPORTS.. USF football can and always will outdraw the other sports, regardless of where they are located.. attendance off campus can be good, but it will never peak out like it would if it were on campus (or within a 2 miles of campus).. look at all the stadiums that are beyond 5 miles of their campus, NONE OF THEM sell out ALL OF THEIR GAMES in one season.  they may sell out some, but NOT ALL.. and look at the. Miami has 5 national titles, ranked top 10, and it still has a hard time selling out games.. in fact, the only games it sells out are the ones where the opposing teams travel best for (i.e. UF or FSU games).. look at the stadiums on campus, many of them sell out, despite mediocre performances.. we may get good attendance figures at RJS, but it will never consistently peak out like it would if it were on campus

Based on your post I one could believe that ou think that attendance would suffer if we had an OCS. I don't think that is the case at all. All of us who do not live on campus have reliable tranportation that would allow us to attend no matter where the games are.

I don't think attendance would matter either for six football games.  I'm just saying I would NOT expect it to increase just because it on campus.  What's the big deal about on campus anyway?  Sat nights, none of the buildings are open, what the hell do you all think you're going to do?

Also the campus is actually in the N.W. quadrant of the County.

as far as the general Tampa Bay population is concerned, very few live east of USF compared to those West and south of it.

will people stop bringing up this point?  i dare anyone bring up attendance figures of ANY SCHOOL in florida that have stronger attendance in other sports such as basketball, baseball, etc versus that of football..

Dude, nobody is saying that.  But.....look at UF's basketball and baseball attendance compared to ours?  It's a joke.  They get over 1,000 to almost all baseball games, we get maybe 100.

Truthfully...I have to make the effort to go to USF to watch a baseball (or basketball) game. And 99.9% of the time, the decision to attend is based on who the Bulls are playing.

Whether the Bulls played at RayJ or an OCS...I'd still be there.