• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Students want an OCS...Yea right!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

No, that's not where I should have stopped.

It doesn't "HAVE" to be on the field. But at traditionally powerful football schools, schools with tons of school spirit, or schools who simply support the hell out of their fellow students (players) (like UCF, which stormed the field just because of a win breaking a huge long losing streak), fans rush the field. It shouldn't be a problem if the proper security measures are in place, and those security measures aren't taken advantage of. It shouldn't be a problem if we support school spirit in the same sense that hundreds of other American universities do.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that I only support an OCS for fan-rushing purposes. That is quite untrue. An OCS would mean a million other things; I just chose to blast you for your stance concerning fans rushing the field.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

You weren't replying to me.  You were replying to WWW.

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501
  • Days Won:  0

let's be clear on one thing-- all the fans would love to have a beautiful on campus stadium.

We just don't have the cash or the need to build one at this time (IMO). And if it is so we can be like Michigan and whoever else who storms the field or tears down a goalpost-- well-- that line of thinking is fairly short-sighted and selfish on the whole IMO

Why would anyone do that?

263109.jpg

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

Our fans to date have never destroyed anything,

They sure as hell did!  They ripped up the USF banner that goes all along the endzone wall just to name one thing.  How many hundreds (probably thousands) of dollars did our school have to shell out to replace that?  And was that REALLY fun?

I am quite unfamiliar with any such banner being ripped up. Does that banner even hang in the student section? If a banner was ripped up, I can assure you it was not thousands of dollars to replace. And in a stadium that allows field rushing, they don't put easily-torn-down banners in conspicuous locations, I'm sure. Why would our fans tear our own school's banner? That doesn't make sense.

And hell yes it was REALLY worth it, the three times we've rushed, those were the most amazing and memorable games I've been to. I shook hands with, patted, and jumped up and down with players like J.R. Reed after those big wins. Those are just some of the most memorable of the experiences that tie me and other students to the university now and forever, and will be part of why we chose to support the university finanacially for the rest of our lives.

I am quite unfamiliar with any such banner being ripped up. Does that banner even hang in the student section? If a banner was ripped up, I can assure you it was not thousands of dollars to replace. And in a stadium that allows field rushing, they don't put easily-torn-down banners in conspicuous locations, I'm sure. Why would our fans tear our own school's banner? That doesn't make sense.

I believe he was talking about the "wallpaper" that goes long the wall below the student section along the field... where the USF sponsors get advertising space.

OK well I never heard of the "wallpaper" being torn down. Even if it was, it's worth the experience of rushing the field, and certainly better than 250-pound RJS employees tackling 90-pound girls and shoving Tazers in peoples' faces to keep them from rushing. IF we tore a banner, then perhaps there should be better planning next time. Why are there trash cans? So people don't litter. Planning. But this is a moot point, and does not detract from my original argument.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  143

Actually though...  I think people only started tearing up those banners AFTER the initial rush / tackle / taz started...

I think the tearing of the banners was due to people being pissed off at the way the others were being treated...   it was when everyone started booing..

At least that's the way *I* remember seeing it...

On a related note, I remember the FIRST time that fans rushed the field - and they LET them - and it as all pretty innoncent and harmless...

A HUGE group rushed the field and celebrated with the players..   After that initial rush, the security tried to stop others - but that was only after like 10 mins....  thing were calmed down and the initial group was already headed for the stairs to leave the field (on their own)...

I think it's a chicken and egg..  initially the fans just rush out and want to celebrate...  things only seem to get ugly when all the tackling / arrests happen..     Then it turns from celebration into more of a 'rebellion' thing...

:-/